Hair Loss

jenl8270
on 4/27/17 11:21 am

I am currently 5 months post RNY. I knew going into my gastric bypass that there would be hair loss and I thought I was prepared for it. It was the one thing that I was nervous about because my hair has been thinning somewhat over the years anyway. To prepare myself, I started loading up on Biotin and Hair, Skin & Nails and also started using Nioxin shampoo. I only wash my hair two to three times per week. About five weeks ago, my hair started falling out and I was NOT prepared for the amount of hair loss I am having and really would like to know if it's normal. I never thought it would be this bad. Every time I take a shower, handfulls of hair come out of my head and at this rate, the top of my head will soon be completely bald. I don't want to sound like too much of a complainer, because the benefits of my surgery far outweigh the loss of my hair, but I'm not gonna lie, it still makes me sad to see all this hair coming out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

RNY 11/18/16

HW: 299 SW: 288 CW: 197

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/27/17 11:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Nioxin and biotin won't do a darn thing to prevent hair loss. Biotin may help your hair grow faster, but it won't stop the shedding.

I had days like that where my hair just came out in handfuls. I wore a pixie cut, so the clogs in the drain weren't nearly as drastic, but it was about that bad.

If you're self-conscious, look for stuff called "hair fibers." It's a powder that you shake into your scalp, it sticks to your hair and makes it look thicker. I also used brown eyeshadow to camouflage the bare patches on my scalp and it made it a little less noticeable.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jenl8270
on 4/27/17 12:01 pm

It's funny you mention getting a pixie cut. My daughter is a cosmetologist and a few weeks ago, I went in and I told her to cut it all off. It's now the shortest it's ever been and that has made it look a little bit fuller. I'm going to search for that powder now. Thanks!!

CC C.
on 4/27/17 3:09 pm

One brand is Toppik...

MarinaGirl
on 4/27/17 11:51 am

I heard that Zinc can help with hair loss? Has anyone tried extra supplementation and did it work?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/27/17 12:33 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is telogen effluvium, which is caused by the shock of surgery. Supplements don't help.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Er1n
on 4/28/17 6:34 am
RNY on 10/24/16

And everything I've read says it's the worse from 3 months post op until about 9 months. It will pass. :)

MsKitty12345
on 4/27/17 12:33 pm
RNY on 12/05/16

You are not alone. Just remember that it will not be as noticeable to everyone else as it is to you. Remember to keep eating your protein and this WILL pass.

MsKitty...

selhard
on 4/27/17 1:12 pm, edited 4/27/17 6:12 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I have no way of knowing if the NIOXIN kit I purchased at a JCPenney hair salon worked or not because hair usually grows back with time, anyhow. What I do know, I like how NIOXIN makes my hair look and feel, so I continue to use it to this day. Your new haircut sounds perfect; how about wearing the wide, bright hairbands I see many wear these days? I purchased a faux ponytail to wear during my thin-hair period (3 to 12 months post-op); it was fun to wear but made my daughters roll their eyes so it didn't make it out of the box very often. Good Luck; this too shall pass.

White Dove
on 4/27/17 3:50 pm - Warren, OH

Washing your hair more often will keep the hair follicles from clogging up with oils and clear hair follicles grow healthier hair.

Nioxin does not make hair grow, but it cleans the scalp and makes it more acidic. A vinegar rinse is probably just as good, but Nioxin is a nice product and I have used it. Biotin have me serious facial and body hair growth and I threw it away. It did not help the scalp hair.

A shorter hair do is a great idea. The hair that went to sleep during surgery takes about three months to fall out. Most of the serious fallout starts about month four and ends by month seven. Some people lose from month three to month nine.

You will soon start to see new hairs sticking up where the old ones fell out. The new hair is often fuller and healthier than the old was.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 232 views