Hello from New Zealand

sk8rt
on 4/29/17 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I am an American living in NZ, and have been very overweight for the past 12-13 years. I have been lurking a bit as I have finally made the decision to pursue WLS (RNY).

I had thought about WLS on several occasions before, but felt I was unable to give it the commitment that is needed. Now my life is in a good spot to move forward. I have had a surgical consult and I really like the surgeon. There aren't many here in NZ!

One of my biggest worries is finding the protein shake type things that don't contain sucralose/Splenda or aspartame/Nutrasweet as they cause hideous headaches for me.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Cathy H.
on 4/29/17 7:48 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Perhaps your best choice would be to get unflavored/unsweetened protein powder and make your own shakes. Not sure what you can get down there, but I used Isopure Zero Carb Unflavored. That way you can use whatever sweetener works for you. Additionally, you are then in control of the flavors, etc. Best of luck to you!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

ScottAndrews
on 4/30/17 7:55 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I know of a brand called ORGAIN and they make stevia sweetened protein products.

I see they advertise in here sometimes.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/30/17 7:55 am

In US there are a lot of more natural protein shakes made with stevia. I am not sure if the are available where you are.

But using unflavored can be a good choice. There are a lot of people who either drank very little or none at all protein shakes. And were very successful in losing weight and maintain. It can be done.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 4/30/17 5:50 pm - Warren, OH

Nestle makes an unflavored protein called Beneprotein and I believe it is available internationally.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Au_Contraire
on 4/30/17 6:22 pm

Hi again sk8rt! I have a packet of Unjury brand medical quality protein powder in front of me here - the ingredients are just whey protein isolate and soy lecithin. Unjury has it's own website, you may be able to find out from them (or the other manufacturers) if they have vendors in NZ.

Wishing you the very best of luck on your journey! You and I are at the same point, just about to begin!

sk8rt
on 5/1/17 7:12 pm

Thank you all for the welcome and suggestions! I will follow through with more research.

My primary doc is going to refer me to a nutrition/diet person. (This is part of the protocol here in order to qualify for the surgery.) So I am making progress on the journey, slowly, but progress is happening!

While I am well educated about food in general (former chef for large corporation that needed multiple dietary restrictions) and hubby has coeliac, I really have very little experience with bariatric diets. So I am looking forward to the education.

thank you again!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?