Hi Everyone, Just had my RNY on monday and its hard to eat...

Winniepootoo
on 6/24/17 2:47 pm
RNY on 06/19/17

... Hard is an understatement.... I am back home now and it has been a difficult and emotional road. I can not find anything to eat that I am ok with... today I noticed all the low carb options I bought are too sweet and the broths are making me nauseous. My blood sugar dropped down to 62 today and I am trying to have more than 30 oz of water and have not gotten there yet. over this week My calorie count has been 700 all together for the last 7 days and in the hospital I gained 32 lbs... from fluid i guess. My dietitian said I could advance to more than water and broth but this seems impossible. I went into the hospital last night because I was bleeding from somewhere in my nether regions and they said my labs and cultures look good though... I am finding it hard to express myself because I am constantly crying and scared of doing something wrong. My Fiance is the best and had to start work again yesterday. Being alone for these 2 days has been even harder for me. ... with all that said I do not regret my decision, I have been over weight my whole life and this decision for me meant I chose me... and did not allow the pain/abuse of the life I've had end me. My family is now My fiance and sister from my dads side. My mothers side is dead to me now they now longer exist to me. I knew this was going to be a challenge, I didn't want to do this years ago and fail because I had not dealt with my mental and emotional state. I have worked for 14 years on my mind changing the chatter destroying the lies told to me I believed my whole life ( worthless, amount to nothing, not worthy of love, no one wants you, you deserved to be raped, molested etc... ) I know who I am now and I needed help... That was this surgery is to me the assistance I didn't know how to give myself.... I just had no idea the struggle involved with taking a sip and keeping it down. I didn't understand about the foaming at the mouth until this week and when the pain is too bad it happens automatically. I am relearning how to consume and eat healthy and have patience ( something I have never had in abundance )

This is major surgery and voluntary, and my body like my mind will never be the same again and I am grateful for that....

I guess I would like to ask all of you how did you do it the 1st week, the tastes, the smells, the consistency ... and how did you get 64 oz of fluid in you in 1 day.... How did you get past ( if you experienced ) the emotional toll it is taking, and when was your 1st good day, what did it look like? What did you eat the 1st week when you were told you could consume yogurt like consistency, no fat low carb? I feel desperate and alone right now to get a grip on this... Thank you for listening and reading and if you so choose, responding :)

PS... I am back in grade school trying to figure out how to respond to messages and people that have been so kind to reach out to me

OneBlueSock
on 6/24/17 3:02 pm
RNY on 06/21/17

I had surgery 2 days after you, and it's been a struggle to keep up with all the fluid and protein.....my husband actually made a spreadsheet so we could keep track of it. I definitely did not make the goals the first day, but days 2-3 were better.

have they prescribed you anything for nausea? my surgeon has me on a scopalomine patch and zofran if I need it. I drink out of tiny little 2oz cups about every 15 minutes or so whenever I'm awake. I hope things get easier for you!

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

Winniepootoo
on 6/24/17 4:55 pm
RNY on 06/19/17

Hi I am prescribed something for ulcers not nausea... Today after writing I decided to watch more videos on specific things I am having trouble with and I believe this nausea is pain related and the yogurt is too soon... Congrats on your surgery, that's a good idea ( the spreadsheet ) Ill ask my fiance to make me 1 tonight maybe seeing it will help with the mental pressure I feel to do things right.

OneBlueSock
on 6/25/17 3:28 am
RNY on 06/21/17

Good, I hope it helps! I'm an anal organized person so when all of this is thrown at me....keeping track of pills, water, protein, walking....it's way overwhelming. I'm so glad my hubby is on board with helping me navigate it. I hope you start feeling better, we got this!

Kelsey

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/24/17 3:38 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

First off, dehydration makes you nauseated... which sucks, because then you don't feel like drinking. It's a vicious circle that you need to get ahead of.

You will need to force yourself to drink and get your fluids in. Sixty-four ounces probably seems overwhelming right now, but if you consider that drinking a two ounce medicine cup of fluid every 15 minutes will get you 8 ounces an hour -- that will easily put you at your goal in a 1/3 of a 24-hour day. That is far less overwhelming to think about. That's how I did it. A 2 oz medicine cup every 15 minutes while awake. Soon, you will find that you can do TWO medicine cups every 15 minutes...

After surgery, thick shakes or overly sweet ones bothered me, too. Try diluting them with some almond milk or water. You can use the fruity ones (I like Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel mixed with some Crystal Ligh****er in a similar flavor) -- then you are killing two birds with one stone. The protein/calories aren't as important as getting in your fluids right now though. Concentrate on getting your fluids in -- the rest will follow. Some people find that drinking from a cup with a straw or a lid helps them to get past the protein smell. Find what works for you. (If your program says not to use a straw -- research that because there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR THIS RULE.)

Remember, every 15 minutes --- that's 8 ounces an hour. See how easy that is? You can do this.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Winniepootoo
on 6/24/17 5:01 pm
RNY on 06/19/17

Hi Kat Thank you, that is an easier way to think of it. I just set up a timer on my phone and I will reset it every 15 mins... they gave me tons of the 1 oz cups which I keep trying top force my way through... my dr. said every 5 mins 2 to 3 baby sips... so I think Ill take your suggestion because being overwhelmed seems to be derailing me and I have to get a hold of this.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/24/17 5:04 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

You got this!

It IS overwhelming at first. You aren't alone -- it's such a drastic change and it feels like SO much to remember. So, break it down into manageable steps. Get those fluids in first. That will make you feel so much better.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

OneBlueSock
on 6/25/17 3:23 am
RNY on 06/21/17

I've never understood the no-straw rule!

Kelsey

Winniepootoo
on 7/9/17 1:29 pm
RNY on 06/19/17

btw Kat I still get gas every time I swallow, I think a straw might help and I will try it this week... Thanks!

White Dove
on 6/24/17 3:44 pm, edited 6/24/17 8:44 am - Warren, OH

My first two weeks were water, sugarfree jello and broth. Call your surgeon about the low blood sugar. This all gets better

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 241 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views