Appetite

TracyK
on 6/26/17 7:35 am - FL

I have been scrolling and searching this forum regarding the change in smell and taste after surgery and I am completely amazed at how much it changes. I am currently 12 weeks post op and have never been a sweets person but now more than ever could not be one. Just walking near a sweet shop or donut place and I can smell sugar strong to the point of nausea. The same goes with other foods. I am a Wisconsinite by heart and love, love, love cheese. Now I am sad to say that some of my favorites just taste bad. I used to be a salty person (chips, popcorn, and so on), but even those are not appealing. We have bags at home for the family but I just walk right by them without a second thought. Is this a physical change or is it that I am a revision with a full weight regain and am just letting head games get to me? I am making sure I take all my vitamins and I am worried since I am losing the taste for food altogether I may be causing problems. I just am not hungry or have a "taste" for anything. I do love to cook and try new things but now I just don't have a urge to do so. I am still getting in my protein and liquids but food just doesn't sound good. I don't have much of an appetite at all. Does this change over time?

Lap-Band/Dec 2004 - Starting weight: 230
Band Removal June 2015 (Sadly) - Weight 215
Revision Apr 2017 - Weight 240, CW 194, GW - 145

ScottAndrews
on 6/26/17 8:08 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I'm 14 weeks out and I've lost the taste for many things even my beloved pizza (more on that later) I can go long periods without eating no problem.

Im not complaining at all. I really enjoy being free from food. I still enjoy food and there are some meals I look forward to but it's just not a several-times-a-day thing.

TracyK
on 6/26/17 8:18 am - FL

I am still eating foods and trying new things, but I am just not enjoying them. I never had this with the band so this is all completely new to me.

ScottAndrews
on 6/26/17 9:12 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Remember the band was purely mechanical and the sole focus was restriction.

With RNY there's a lot more medical science going on and in my opinion the biggest difference is the way the stomach communicates with the brain. Essentially, they're no longer on speaking terms.

But the veterans mostly agree that this relationship mends itself after 12-15 months.

But the point in all this is to lose excess weight. There's a reason why the lap band is in it's death throes as a procedure and RNY is considered the gold standard.

TracyK
on 6/26/17 9:19 am - FL

Maybe it was just the familiarity of the band. I had it for over 10 years and lost 80+ pounds and loved it. Until it turned its back on me ... really just flipped on my stomach. I am new to this and appreciate everyone's comments. It helps shine light on the journey.

Thank you.

ScottAndrews
on 6/26/17 9:32 am
RNY on 03/20/17

My bariatric center doesn't even do bands. Too many revisions and other issues.

Id bet that RNY has the best "one and done" rate of all the procedures.

TracyK
on 6/26/17 9:38 am - FL

I had mine done in 2004. My BMI wasn't high enough for the GB and honestly I was too scared to have it done. Then one thing led to another and the band slipped in 2015 and had it removed. I went through with the RNY mostly because the polyps and the bleeding ulcers. The ulcers were eating away pretty bad at my lining and if I didn't have it done I would have been a lot worse off, most likely with the same outcome. I am happy with my decision for the revision and honestly feel a million times better then with my unhappy stomach.

ScottAndrews
on 6/26/17 10:29 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I'm happy too. I'm also a dumper and honestly I prefer it that way. I'm not looking to return to obesity so I'll take any tool that helps. I had my time in the sun.

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/17 8:11 am

I hate to say this but enjoy the not being hungry. I wish I had that feeling again. I do once in a while. But not often.

Others say they do not have the urge to eat. I can eat a lot more than I could 3 years ago.

I think part of the feeling of not wanting to cook or like food. Well for me it stemmed from fear. Not knowing what to cook. Afraid I would want to eat more. Or just plain screw up.

It gets easier. Trust me.

The head part of the surgery is the hardest.

TracyK
on 6/26/17 8:22 am - FL

Being banded before this had never been an issue. I knew going into this it would be a new ballgame but I am just shocked at how much of a change it was. I am liking the no hunger feeling but nervous about getting in all the liquids and protein. I am doing well on that so far. I know this is a life change and I am 100% on board. Just caught be off guard. :)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 385 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 505 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 279 views