Minor Setback

Nechols
on 7/21/17 9:58 pm
RNY on 07/17/17

Surgery date 7/17/17

Highest Weight 415 Surgery Weight 375

This morning it happened. My left ankle throbbed and swelled and I knew instantly I was having a minor gout flare up that would only get worst. I called the doctors office and he responded immediately and put in a prescription for methylprednisolone 4mg dosepack. My pouch was not happy having to digest 6 pills today but my ankle is starting to feel much better. Hopefully after continuing the pills for the next 3 days the gout will subside and I can move on from this. I know with all the edema and infection I will have some water retention which will effect my weigh in on Monday, but im ok with that. Right now im focused on staying on plan, excercising and getting fluids and protein in. I know the weight will fall off eventually. I am excited to move into the pureed stage on Monday. Im learning so much about food, my body and what it needs and Its definitely exhilirating. My wife is at the soft food stage as she is 7 weeks post VSG. She is doing much better now and we are working together to reach our goals. Cabos is in the horizon July 2018, cant wait.!!

Au_Contraire
on 7/21/17 10:41 pm, edited 7/21/17 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear about the gout flare-up! I know you are going to do very well regardless. It's wonderful that your wife is on this journey with you. Wishing you a swift recovery!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/22/17 2:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Sorry about the gout. Is that something that should improve with weightloss?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Nechols
on 7/22/17 4:59 am
RNY on 07/17/17

Yes Grim, gout definitely is more manageable when you are at a healthier weight as well as taking medication consistently to keep uric acid levels down. Flare ups happen for multiple reasons but in my case rapid weight loss and high protein low carb diet played a part. I also have not been keeping up with my daily preventative medication. My ankle this morning feels much better and the meds are working so im just hanging in there until it goea away completely. Thank for your support.

Kathyjs
on 7/24/17 8:55 am

Allopurinal?

Nechols
on 7/24/17 10:05 am
RNY on 07/17/17

Prescribed today. Start taking in 2 weeks.

ScottAndrews
on 7/22/17 5:02 am
RNY on 03/20/17

It's just a speed-bump. Well a painful speed-bump.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/22/17 7:51 am

Prednisone or any steroids can be irritating to the pouch. Even 9 years post op I really have a hard time with them. Watch for signs of pouch irritation. Unfortunately the nerves have been cut so you may not feel it right away. Are you on PPI? If not - call your doc.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nechols
on 7/22/17 8:03 am
RNY on 07/17/17

Hello thanks for your reply. I am currently on a prescription for methylprednisolone 4mg to treat the gout. I feel pretty comfortable and confident with it since it was prescribed by my weightloss physician. On Monday at my 1 week post op, we will discuss ongoing preventative treatment for the gout that is safe for bariatric patients. Thanks for your input.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 321 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 321 views