Extra Vitamin C supplements?

Au_Contraire
on 7/25/17 12:23 pm

Hi all,

I have noticed through the past many decades that I seem to need a higher level of Vitamin C than many people do. I can always tell when I need to beef it up because my gums start bleeding when I brush (sorry, I know that's kind of gross). I definitely am experiencing that now. My multi gives me 180 mg a day, but based on my past experience, I do best taking in not less than 2,000 per day, maybe even a bit more. Can I safely take additional regular Vitamin C? Will it tear up my new baby stomach or be hard on my hiatal hernia repair?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/25/17 12:32 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I have no authority to say if the vitamin C is hard on our stomach -- and I get why you are asking -- since it's obviously an acid.

I can tell you that I take 500 mg. of chewable vitamin-C, twice to three times a day, to increase my ability to absorb iron. I have an RNY and I had a major hernia repair with a severely strangulated bowel in the area of the duodenum -- which I believe is the real culprit of my iron malabsorption. I have been taking this level of C (1000 to 1500) for just under four years with no issues.

Again, certainly I am no litmus for it's safety -- but that has been my experience.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Au_Contraire
on 7/25/17 1:00 pm

Thank you for responding your experience is encouraging. May I ask how far out from surgery you were when you started taking the extra C? I have a RnY support meeting on Thursday and will ask the nurse and others then, to get more input. But one way or the other, I know I need more than I'm getting.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/26/17 6:33 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Sure, ask away. -- sorry I took so long to answer you. I got sidetracked.

I was taking Vitamin C with my iron supplement from the first week after surgery. However, it was only the iron added to my iron supplement for the first two weeks (60 mg -- hardly worth mentioning).

The Cleveland Clinic recommended that I take at least 400 mg in divided doses from that point -- and it's been three and a half years -- for what I remember they termed "wound healing" --

I have been taking 1000 mg to 1500 mg from about 6 months out until now. That is the dosage the hematologist recommended as well -- because of my iron issues, etc.

I do use the chewable C -- I once accidentally bought the caplets and I found that they gave me a sour stomach at night. Keep in mind, I always take one C at bedtime as I think it helps my sleep (placebo -- probably) and I always take one of my iron then.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Au_Contraire
on 7/26/17 10:48 am, edited 7/26/17 3:49 am

Thank you, Kat. I don't know if that amount would be sufficient for my body, but it would certainly be better than what I'm getting now. I will figure this out. Using chewables in divided doses makes a lot of sense.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/26/17 10:02 am
RNY on 08/21/12

As Kat said, vitamin c helps with iron absorption. An extra 200mg of c should be taken for every 30 mg of elemental iron. I was taking it along with all my vitamins since the day I got home from the hospital.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Au_Contraire
on 7/26/17 10:50 am

Thank you, Grim.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views