When should the anesthesia be out of me?

racemomss
on 9/7/17 1:37 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I am going back to work Monday to hopefully get back in a routine to get my depressed, anxiety self back in line. I saw my primary care today and she ordered prescription vitamin D3 and b12. She thought this will help my mentally craxy issues. How soon do you think the anesthesia should move out and the vitamins kick in? Surgery was on 8/24

HonestOmnivore
on 9/7/17 1:41 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

An anesthesiologist once told me that it takes about a week for every hour you're under, for general anesthesia to clear your system. Every one is different of course, it depends on the efficiency of your entire system. Walking will help it clear faster, as does deep coughs the first week or so.

I had a 13 hour surgery a few years ago and it was at least 3 months before I started to feel back to myself. I was back in the office five days after my RNY, and while I was not 100% I was fine in my very sedentary job.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Grim_Traveller
on 9/7/17 2:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

B12 can go up pretty quickly. D can take a couple of months.

In the past, all of the prescription Vitamin D I have seen was D2, not D3. You should double check. We do not absorb D2 well, and it won't help you. Also, much D is packed in oil filled gels, and we don't absorb that well either. It needs to be Dry D3.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

racemomss
on 9/7/17 3:38 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I will call them tomorrow. I am still struggling with the fears of unknown and changes that will happen. After the sleeve I had then this I just don't want to regret this one too..

Grim_Traveller
on 9/7/17 6:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

We tend to put a lot of angst into supplements right around surgery, but it needn't be a big worry. If your levels were checked before surgery, just take the recommended vitamins and calcium.

Check your levels yearly. Then TRACK those results, yourself. Don't rely on your doctors. Has one vitamin or mineral been decreasing or increasing each time? Make the adjustment as soon as you see the trend, before you get way too high or low.

Really, it took me more time to type that than it does to do it.

Get labs. Adjust. If you can commit to doing that, you won't have any problems. Don't let it keep you up nights.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

racemomss
on 9/7/17 6:48 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Thank you. I know I have been vitamin d deficient since my sleeve surgery and now I have been without for 2 weeks. I'm hoping this all evens out soon. I was hoping to not get all depressed this time around.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/9/17 10:22 am

My body reacts really badly to any anesthesia. It always affect my energy levels, and my moods. I learned to try to make myself feel better by watching happy things. Comedians, comedy, and fat action happy movies.

No sad, romantic stuff. No depressing stuff.

Get up and walk around your house if anything else. Every hour 10 min. Makes a lot a difference for me. Just enough movement- even small. Let the blood circulating.

I learn that the hard way.

If after a month you still don't feel better - maybe some "happy pills" can help in a meantime.

Also - if your minerals were low, specially iron - that after surgery may be even worse.

If you still feel very tired app 3-6 months from surgery, ask- demand ferritin check. And if it is below 20 - try to get iron infusion. Most of the time they don't want to give us any of the ferritin is above 10... But for me, below 50 I start feeling like crap, and below 30 I have the classic low iron symptoms: anxiety, depression, fatigue, short of breath, and RLS. My RLS last couple of months is kicking my ass.. but my ferritin is not low enough yet for me to get iron. It sucks.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

racemomss
on 9/9/17 12:39 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Thank you! This surgery has been the worst on me by far. I am 2 weeks out and today I have slept the day away. Now I'm trying to catch up on liquids. I'm hoping starting back to work will help my mood. It's good to hear you understand. I'm scared to try new foods cuz I'm paranoid how the dumping syndrome will or if it will affect me. I need to boost my calories and intake.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics