Help... Weight gain after rny

Amantinag1
on 9/9/17 4:41 pm

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2005. 2 kids later and I my body going up and down with my weight.

I now notice in my last physical that I am close to my pre surgery weight. I just can't get a handle on my diet. I need help.

NYMom222
on 9/9/17 8:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Join our daily menu thread. You will see what other people are eating and have accountability.

Remember the rules you started with. Protein first, then veggies. Dense protein works best, not slider foods. Cut out any carbs. Don't drink for 30 minutes after eating.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Amy R.
on 9/10/17 7:14 am, edited 9/10/17 12:16 am

^^^ what Cynthia said.

Also - there is a subgroup here on OH called "Back on Track Together". I don't have the link but you can probably find it using your search bar. It's likely someone with the link might go ahead and post it for you too. edited to add link:Back on Track Together Forum

The good news is you absolutely CAN re-lose any amount of weight you'd like. Having the smaller stomach makes it easier, but only if you follow a high protein/low carb way of eating. This isn't a diet. Actually I'd advise you to stay far, far away from any diets. Including the "5-Day Pouch Test" that seems to pop up with some alarming regularity. If any of that stuff worked none of us would have needed surgery. You will be building your own plan for eating. And it's a plan you'll be using for the rest of your life.

The bottom line looks something like this: protein. small amounts of non-carb veggies if you have room after you've eaten your protein portion. NOTHING ELSE while you are in the losing or re-losing phase. When you are happy with what you weigh, you can add back in small amounts of carbs. But they should never again be the anchor of your daily menu. Even if they're whole grain, natural, organic, and/or whatever else. It's best for a lot of us if we think of carbs as a condiment, not as part of an actual meal.

Many of us exercise; many of us don't. It doesn't greatly affect your allowable calories although many like to think it does and so make the mistake of eating more in exchange for exercise. Don't do that. Exercise if you'd like but don't consider the calories you'll be burning. Although it may seem like a lot, the only folks that burn calories at that level are professional athletes, distance runners, ironman contestants, etc.

You'll likely get several more folks chiming in here. Pay the most attention to the ones who are over three years out and are maintaining or making progress either reaching goal or finally losing regain. No one else has the level of experience and advice that can do much for you at 12 years out.

You can do this. WE can do hard things. Even hard things that seem impossible in the beginning.

CJ On Orcas
on 9/10/17 10:46 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Second, third that advice. I am only one year post-op but when I get too far into carbs getting back to protein is the best way. One or two meatballs with marinara fills me up completely but I could eat popcorn or granola forever.

You can do it. Get back to protein first, add in low carb veggies if room, drink a lot of liquid but not right after meals.

cc583
on 9/10/17 4:32 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I forth that advice. The more dense the protein is the more satisfied you will be.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

ginger2012
on 9/10/17 12:17 pm
RNY on 09/12/12

I also recommend reading the daily menu thread and eating high protein low carb. I have lost 30 pounds of regain since 6/22/17 by doing that. Cutting out the carbs stopped the constant urge to graze. Losing regain has been hard and frustrating, and to see results I had to drastically change my eating habits. My regain happened because I thought I could eat whatever I wanted because "at least I am not eating a whole bag like I used to before surgery, this is what they call moderation."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics