Harvey Postponed My Surgery, Update

ladylost2
on 9/16/17 5:54 am
RNY on 10/02/17

My bypass was scheduled for the day after hurricane Harvey. I was annoyed beforehand, but now I am grateful I hadn't had just before. Our house took on a foot of water and while the kids were rescued by boat, my husband and I had to walk over a mile in waist deep water to escape. I wouldn't have been able to do that post-op, but all the diet and exercise I have done as prep meant I was able to do that walk with a 30 pound pack and only be stressed, not physically incapable of making the walk.

I now have a new surgery date. October 2. I had my new pre-op appointment Monday. I'm down another 3 pounds! Yeah! But boy the lectures I got. The shelter and then my mom's place only had carbs, carbs, carbs... Dr. Gomez says if this kind of thing happens post-op that if the only thing available is carbs, then I don't eat. Also, I was put on an 800 calorie diet for the next two weeks. Stupid liver didn't care I was maintaining my calorie restriction. It got a little bigger, instead of a little smaller from all that shelter pizza.

My house won't be repaired for at least 6 months, but last week my family moved in a really nice apartment. I love it. It's so pretty and has a fitness room and walking trail, perfect for post-op exercise. Ok, it's filled with furniture from the Houston Furniture Bank and Goodwill, but it's home. And the church was able to wash and save most of our clothes.

The good thing about all of this flood nonsense is that I am no longer stressing about my surgery. If I can survive Harvey, then I can survive and thrive after gastric bypass. I have replaced all my vitamins and have all my liquids set and ready to go! Let's do this!

Au_Contraire
on 9/16/17 6:16 am

Thank goodness you and your family are safe, and now dry and warm! And what an adventure: that's definitely one to tell the grandkids! I'm so glad your pre-op efforts strengthened you so that you were able to walk like that through the flood. October 2 is right around the corner! May your surgery and your recovery be smooth and easy! Wishing you all the very best with the recovery and rehab of your home as well!

peachpie
on 9/16/17 6:24 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm sorry for the setbacks and your property loss, but love your positive attitude! If you can maintain it with what you've been through so far- you will come through surgery and start you post op life strong.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/17 6:25 am

Harvey really messed up the region. I am so sorry for your struggles.

Hugs. I and glad you can see that more as a challenge to overcome, rather than "total disaster". I am glad you guys are ok.

One thing that I would do if I were you, I would start taking good, or great probiotics. Daily. Even when they say they will clean the water, IMO, they may still be residue bacteria and pollution, than may be below the EPA standards, but IMO, probably higher that normal, before Harvey. Taking probiotics daily, I would try to put more good bacteria in my gut to help with that. The bad thing- most good probiotics are expensive. And need to be refrigerated. But even $50 for a bottle of 60 (Vsl#3 at Costco) is better than getting sick, or not begging at my best. Eating fermented foods a like kimchi, or drinking kabucha drinks is another way to help with that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Rosemi
on 9/16/17 7:01 am

So thankful that you and your family managed your way through Harvey. Look at how strong you are! You'll do great after your surgery..your positive attitude is such a plus! Your new home sounds perfect for your recovery after wls...and I love used furniture... You do have this, you go girl.

hollykim
on 9/16/17 8:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM Pacific Time, ladylost2 wrote:

My bypass was scheduled for the day after hurricane Harvey. I was annoyed beforehand, but now I am grateful I hadn't had just before. Our house took on a foot of water and while the kids were rescued by boat, my husband and I had to walk over a mile in waist deep water to escape. I wouldn't have been able to do that post-op, but all the diet and exercise I have done as prep meant I was able to do that walk with a 30 pound pack and only be stressed, not physically incapable of making the walk.

I now have a new surgery date. October 2. I had my new pre-op appointment Monday. I'm down another 3 pounds! Yeah! But boy the lectures I got. The shelter and then my mom's place only had carbs, carbs, carbs... Dr. Gomez says if this kind of thing happens post-op that if the only thing available is carbs, then I don't eat. Also, I was put on an 800 calorie diet for the next two weeks. Stupid liver didn't care I was maintaining my calorie restriction. It got a little bigger, instead of a little smaller from all that shelter pizza.

My house won't be repaired for at least 6 months, but last week my family moved in a really nice apartment. I love it. It's so pretty and has a fitness room and walking trail, perfect for post-op exercise. Ok, it's filled with furniture from the Houston Furniture Bank and Goodwill, but it's home. And the church was able to wash and save most of our clothes.

The good thing about all of this flood nonsense is that I am no longer stressing about my surgery. If I can survive Harvey, then I can survive and thrive after gastric bypass. I have replaced all my vitamins and have all my liquids set and ready to go! Let's do this!

glad you are all ok. A bit of advice for future hurricane events:

eat only the cheese and sauce and toppings off the pizzas, leave the crust behind.

mschwab
on 9/16/17 8:06 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I am so sorry you had to go through that, but so glad you and your family are okay. Sounds like you are doing well, and more then ready for surgery. Congrats on your success so far, and much to come in the future.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Kathy1212
on 9/16/17 8:40 am

OMG, thank God you weren't a day or two post op when Harvey hit. What an experience.

I'm so sorry about your home, but thank God you and your family are OK. I can't believe the doctor gave you heck for eating whatever was available after a hurricane when you're preop. Post op I can see (and like the other poster said, the pizza toppings are fine, just not the bread).

Oct. 2nd will be here in no time, and with your positive attitude, you are going to rock this!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

TheRealMeWithin
on 9/16/17 5:25 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

wow! you are a survivor! So sorry to hear about what you have gone through, but happy to know you are all safe.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

Amy R.
on 9/17/17 9:31 am

So glad you are ok!

I can't believe you got lectures from your doc. It's not like you were dealing with some rain and localized flooding. There is a reason that most insurance policies classify hurricanes as "acts of God". Good grief - if I didn't know when I would eat next or where I would even end up sleeping/living I'd have eaten the pizza too.

You're right. You survived what most of us can't imagine. You're going to be just fine with postop life.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404