What CAN'T you eat with RNY? Getting a medically required VSG to RNY revision

mi75
on 9/17/17 4:39 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

I had bad GERD prior to my VSG 4 years ago. It has worsened and my doctor believes I'll have to have a medically required revision to RNY. I developed lactose intolerance as a result, but otherwise I can eat ALL food.

I know people who had RNY many many years ago and several are unable to eat various forms of red meat, pork, and other foods.

While I'm looking for relief and the opportunity to get off the 3 PPI meds I take daily, I'm also worried about becoming somebody who can't eat certain foods, has severe malabsorption, or worse.

So.......what foods can't YOU eat after your RNY?

thanks

White Dove
on 9/17/17 4:54 pm, edited 9/17/17 9:55 am - Warren, OH

There are no foods that you can't eat after RNY but sugar might make you dump

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/17 5:05 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

I have not found any meats that I cannot eat. I always make sure it's not over cooked and moist. I also chew well and take my time eating.

i am not sure about sweets or heavy carb food. I just simply don't eat them. I just stick to meats, green vegetables, occasional cheese, low sugar yogurt.

aesposito
on 9/17/17 5:19 pm

Six years out, I can (theoretically) eat anything. However in most cases, I choose not to.

Every so often I ignore Pouchy, and I suffer the consequences physically. But that is my stupid choice.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

peachpie
on 9/17/17 5:40 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

What people 'can't' eat varies person to person. I can't eat bacon. Doesn't sit well. I probably can eat it now- in fact I tried it a few weeks ago-- made me feel like a brand new post op. I just prefer to live without it.

I cant eat cold cereal- not that I should anyway. It makes me bloated and miserable. Pancakes sit like a lead weight in my stomach. I'll eat 1/2 or 1 small one at most.

But overall you can eat anything- you just may end up preferring not to depending on how something makes you feel.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/17/17 6:45 pm

I love bacon. But only some of it. And only some of the time. And only crispy. And only if my honey fix it. And only 3 PC's.

Bacon... Yum.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 9/17/17 6:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

At three+ years out in theory I can eat anything. Should I eat everything? No. As Peach said what agrees/disagrees varys from person to person. Like for me I can physically eat cold cuts but rarely find they sit well. After 3 years recently found out I can tolerate soda. Should I drink it? Well it won't harm be, but not the healthiest choice.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/17/17 6:39 pm, edited 9/17/17 11:40 am

I really can't tolerate most raw veggies, except cucumbers and some tomatoes. I don't tolerate most grains or beans. But I am special.

I eat berries, and grapefruit. Or kiwi and Clementine. Cooked veggies, meat, fish, eggs.

I become allergic to dairy and soy. So I avoid that.

Most sweats are no go, specially sweet drinks, or ice cream.

I tolerate higher fat food, like olives or avocado. I love pickles.

Tuna and pickle salad with pickles are great.

I had pork tenderloin work butternut squash, cucumbers salad, and mushrooms as my meal today. Yum.

Lunch was omelet work veggies and salad and a few fries. Snack were nuts. I eat a lot of nuts. Just because I can.

I offen have dark chocolate as a dessert. Nice.

I like some white wine. But I don't have it often. Once in a while. Like today. I had some wine. Tossed the rest ... I am good for at least a month. Or more.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jester
on 9/17/17 7:54 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

As you can see by the responses, there is really no way to predict. For the most part (most - not all), what people can't tolerate they shouldn't be eating anyway.

I can eat most foods except refined sugar. I don't dump, but have developed reactive hypoglycemia (RH). I like it. It keeps me honest in weaker moments. You don't have to subject yourself to an RH moment very many times before you avoid it like the plague.

Meat in general is touchy for me. I can tolerate it, but sometimes it just doesn't sit well. Ground meat is the most difficult. Steak and Pork generally go down really well. Chicken works for the most part as long as it isn't a really dry chicken breast.

Other than that, sometime fruit or veggies skins can hurt. Today I ate a plum too fast and didn't chew well enough. That sucked. Also, strangely, I can eat baby cucumbers without peeling them, but full size cucumbers get me every time unless I peel them.

Again, the only thing I absolutely avoid is refined sugar (I eat lots of fruit - no issues there).

For context, I'm 18 months out. I also have no idea how my body would handle bread, pancakes, waffles, white rice, pasta, etc as I've never tested it (aside from the smallest bite) and don't intend to anytime soon as I have no interest in reintroducing that food into my diet.

supershopper
on 9/18/17 5:54 am

you got some good responses.

I personally don't do well with sugary bread. My stomach gets irritated. I generally no longer like the taste of regular bread, feels like a bunch of mush in my mouth. I also don't like the taste of potato anymore. I MIGHT have 1-2 fries from time to time IF they are amazing otherwise why waste the calories/carbs on that?

I stay away from the 'healthy' ice cream with sugar alcohols in them. they make me very ill for hours. same with other sugar alcohols. If I'm going to go down that path, I have 1 scoop of ice cream and move on.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 194 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics