Required weight loss pre-op

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/17 7:33 pm

My surgery is scheduled for 12/1. My insurance requires me to follow a special diet and to lose 10-15 pounds. I am exercising and I am just maintaining my weight on this diet. With surgery so close, does anyone have any tips on how to drop 10 lb in a couple weeks? At this point I am no longer interested in following their diet because I do not want to be denied for not losing the weight. My doctors tell me don't worry about it just follow the diet even though it's not helping me lose weight. Has anyone else had this problem with the diet given by insurance? (Diet is just sticking to leaner meats, pushing veggies and no calorie drinks)

cicis_journey
on 11/6/17 8:17 am

Hi! My surgery is on 11/15 and my surgeon has me on a 2 week liquid diet. It's not fun but it's efficient, I'm 6 days in and I'm down 9lbs so far. I received my shakes through them but it's 4 200 calorie shakes a day, they are all about 10g of fat and 27g or protein. I can also have 2 snacks a day which could be a sugar free popsicle or sugar free jello. Sadly not SF pudding lol. It works out to be about 900 or so calories a day. I'm not really hungry, it's just SUPER mental.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

TexasSweetTea
on 11/6/17 6:38 pm
RNY on 11/16/17

Hi vivi I am just one day behind you. I am 5 days into my pre-op diet and my sx date is 11/16. I however am very hungry even with the shakes?

CarlRay
on 11/6/17 9:12 am
RNY on 02/28/17

The stuff I was on (Opti-fast) pre-surgery worked. I only had it for a week. 4 shakes a day, 200 calories (I think). They allowed broth at supper as well, but I just did the shakes only, adding more water than the instructions called for. I mixed in a teaspoon of instant decaf coffee and ice to make it a bit like an iced cappucino. Plus as much water as I could handle on top of that. I dropped 12 lbs in that week (with daily walking). It was rough for the first couple of days as my system protested, but it got better through the week.

I found it really helpful to drop a bit more before surgery. Hope that helps.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/17 9:19 am

Thank you so much for your response it really makes me feel better that it is possible to drop the weight I definitely will try the protein shakes and popsicles I already exercise with Tae Bo everyday so that won't be the problem but I can see how hard it would be to have to limit yourself to only liquids

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/6/17 12:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

How many calories are you taking in? If you're following their diet but taking in more calories than you burn in a day, you won't lose any weight.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

babsinga
on 11/6/17 12:11 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi, most of us are on one week or two week liquid diets to shrink the liver. That will do it.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

sweetpotato1959
on 11/6/17 12:49 pm

Drink filtered water,(no chlorine and no flouride) Cut out ALL artificial sweetners. (Stevia powder is pretty good replacer for sugar) Increase protein. (90 grams a day was my goal). maintain low carbs..

Be sure to document your diet in a Written diary. so that you can prove you have followed their recommendations. This is one way your surgeon can justify the surgery. You have followed their diet and it has not worked, once again.

The goals of most pre op diets is to reduce inflammation and swelling of the liver, it reduces complications..bitter greens.. such as dandilion, would be good additions..to this goal.

Au_Contraire
on 11/6/17 2:57 pm

I had a substantial record of weight loss through the years, so no further dieting was required by my insurance company. My surgeon, however, wanted me to go on a 2-week diet using Bariatric Fusion shakes. I had 4 shakes per day for a total of 600 calories and 108 grams of proteij. It wasn't hard and I went from 353 (at least - unfortunately I didn't weigh myself the day I began) to 335 on surgery day, a loss of 18 pounds. Shakes will do it! Just try to use a brand which will give you a good amount of protein.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/17 9:15 am

Thank you everyone! Everyone pretty much had the same answer and that's to go on protein liquid diet which makes sense now I feel more confident thanks again

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 335 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics