RH strikes again

peachpie
on 11/6/17 7:27 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

So, what is the single best thing you can eat when you have a case of RH? And is there a point of no return in term of snapping back from an RH episode?

My morning has been eventful. I ate a egg white omelette, and bagel thin. What I'm sure did me in was some Cheerios. Funny enough- I took the box of Cheerios and trashed them because I knew it was becoming a problem. Seems like they got the last laugh though. Wicked case of RH- so bad that I had to get checked out by the paramedics (I work with them- so they are readily accessible). Sweating profusely, shaky and mentally distorted. It's like people were speaking to me in slow motion. My blood sugar was 38. After being given a dextrose and OJ ****tail is only came up to 50. They let me go once it got to 59.

so I'm still confused on what is best to eat, and, if there is a point of no return. Thoughts?

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CarlRay
on 11/6/17 8:08 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Please forgive me - but what is RH? Brain can't come up with it this morning.

peachpie
on 11/6/17 8:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Reactive hypoglycemia

CarlRay
on 11/6/17 9:05 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks! Found the info below. I'm sorry you're going through that.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/8/17 6:49 pm

Peachpie,

The only thing that works for me is to find my trigger amounts of carbs and avoid that amount... I have had RH since well before I had surgery,..Now, many years post op, It is less of a problem ..I use Bitter melon 15 days a month and rarely have an episode . My trigger amt is one ADA serving plus 1/4serving of all carbs. .. anything more than that, and I am "reacting" .My protein goal is 90 Grams a day. My goal for breakfast is 30+. I tolerate almost No fruit. cooked apples only. No sugar, home- made jellies /butters only.I can't use anything but (small amt.)sugar and stevia..( due to allergy)

Low sugar episodes are directly tied to your protein and carb intake. I am one of the people that can eat 1/4 cup of cherrios or similar dry for a snack, but not with mil****assionally I will not get enough protein, to begin my day, and those are the nasty days... It takes me 3 days to begin to feel normal after an episode, so I try not to have any...These are the days I eat on a 2 hour schedule..Protein supplements are your friend..they do require carbs to be utilized, so balance is critical.

3 ounces of whole milk..(I hold first 2 or three swallows in mouth for just a min to get sublingual effect) then swallow, and a tablespoon of peanut butter and 2 or 3 crackers is enough for me.. Like you I don't keep them with me, normally because I don't handle nut butters of any kind well... too much gas...If you tolerate cheese, cheddar cheese is a good choice to use with cracker.

I have cough drops and vitamin c drops I keep with me when out.. about 2 will pull me up normally. the third is sometimes needed. let them absorb under tongue for quickest response. any hard candy will do the same...choose a smaller one if posssible titration to your needs... find one you like, but is not an item you crave, because you see it. Train yourself.." this is for emergency and keep it for emergency." If they are a 3 of months old, pass them to your workmates /etc and get a fresh stash for your supply.

Learn to assess your symptoms.. weak knees, shakey hands, sweating profusely , sudden hunger and nausea. The sooner you can catch each episode, the less impact it will have on your life. I had a documented BS of 19, then once had already begun treatment of a low blood sugar episode, I went into a seizure from the blood sugar drop.

This is serious stuff. Get a blood sugar test kit. Use it routinely.

You must know how your body responds to carbs, to manage this. One way is y checking blood sugar before you eat(fasting) , one hour after, 90 min after , 2 hours after...2.5 hours after.. will give you a good idea.. be sure to record what you ate..in exact amounts.. with the checks..then you will see YOUR tolerance,. if you can add carb portion/need to add another ounce of protein, or even a fat serving.(peanut butter). Yes it ties you up. You need this info. It is your responsibility and your long term health. With no control of RH , Diabetes is very near in your future. Properly managed, you can avoid type 2 AODM.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/8/17 6:52 pm

**typo last paragraph, ONe way is by checking blood sugar fasting, before you eat...sorry DH

Rosemi
on 11/6/17 8:18 am

Reactive Hypoglycemia...there is a great article on in at the -Obesity help-Articles site.

Rosemi
on 11/6/17 8:11 am

Hi Peachpie...so sorry youre being plagued by RH! It's scary. I carry glucose tabs in my purse, my car...in my nightstand...sometimes in my pocket. I have Dex4.brand....and after I follow it up with protein.... and then I really am careful with any white carbs...i totally stay awAy from them****il I forget, again) take care.

Emiepie
on 11/6/17 8:21 am
RNY on 08/11/14

My surgeon recommends crackers with peanut butter when I have an episode. Hope you feel better.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

peachpie
on 11/6/17 8:58 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

If it happened more frequently, that'd be an option. But it happens so rarely, I really can't justify carrying PB crackers around (truth is they'd never last). Today, there was no way I'd have made it to a store.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views