Please help! Haven't lost weight in 6 months!

Rihana
on 11/11/17 8:00 am

Hi guys.

I had RNY surgery 1 yr ago. I only lost 10lbs the month after surgery and pretty much have bn on a go slow ever since.

There are months where I worked out 6-7 times a week for a month or more and didn't notice any difference. There are months where I have worked out 3-4 times a week, and haven't noticed a difference. I thought that by now, I would know what works for me but I don't. I do yoga and I do Zumba. I also walk 2-3 miles the days I don't work out.

My diet is not great. I get discouraged from being good and not losing and eat a bunch of nuts. Once I start with the nuts, I can't stop. I recently found myself forcing nuts down even when i felt like I was going to throw up. that's another thing, I can tolerate any and everything. Nothing makes me sick! I have been at my current weight since July. Even then, I only lost a little bit per month. I've lost 58 lbs total since surgery. Since July, I lose 2-5 lbs and gain it back. I eat lots of protein, 100 maybe more grams per day. I dont eat things like rice, pasta, bread or even fruit. My carbs come from nuts ot beans or sugar free popsicles and greek yogurt. I think I'm not doing bad but then I get on the scale, And I get depressed.

I havent been to follow ups in months because I am embarrassed. Last time I contacted our nutritionist from the doctor's, I left voicemail and long email. She never repied. i don't go to support groups. it's not my thing. When I come on here, everyone's like, Guys pls help, I'm only losing 20 lbs a month I'm like wow! I wish I lost that much since July! I need to lose 50 more. I thought I'd be close by now .

I don't get full! I have been eating a lot of chicken breasts, boiled eggs and fish. Then the peanut butter or nuts. Pork rinds for snack and sf popsicles, greek yogurt fit and slim.

There's a week when i was fasting. I had 2eggs and greek yogurt for breakfast, drink water all day and chicken breast for dinner. Do you know I didn't even lose weight that week?

Help me please! I feel all limds of negative things right now and I have too much on my plate in life in general as it is. I need at least one thing to work out.

Au_Contraire
on 11/11/17 1:04 pm

It sounds like your exercise levels are great, and that the types of foods you are eating are good.

Do you weigh and measure every bite you take? Keep accurate records of your intake? How many calories are you eating per day? Can you tell us what you had to eat over the past few days, for instance? I honestly think that when it comes to weight loss it's the calories which are most significant, as well as sticking with protein, some good fats, and low carbs. But the calories have to be in line with your goals, not exceeding them, or you basically just maintain. Exercise has so many wonderful benefits and is important, but how much you're eating and what you're eating (and even, to a degree, when you're eating) is the best predictor of loss, IMO.

Amy R.
on 11/11/17 1:32 pm
On November 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, Rihana wrote:

Hi guys.

I had RNY surgery 1 yr ago. I only lost 10lbs the month after surgery and pretty much have bn on a go slow ever since.

There are months where I worked out 6-7 times a week for a month or more and didn't notice any difference. There are months where I have worked out 3-4 times a week, and haven't noticed a difference. I thought that by now, I would know what works for me but I don't. I do yoga and I do Zumba. I also walk 2-3 miles the days I don't work out.

My diet is not great. I get discouraged from being good and not losing and eat a bunch of nuts. Once I start with the nuts, I can't stop. I recently found myself forcing nuts down even when i felt like I was going to throw up. that's another thing, I can tolerate any and everything. Nothing makes me sick! I have been at my current weight since July. Even then, I only lost a little bit per month. I've lost 58 lbs total since surgery. Since July, I lose 2-5 lbs and gain it back. I eat lots of protein, 100 maybe more grams per day. I dont eat things like rice, pasta, bread or even fruit. My carbs come from nuts ot beans or sugar free popsicles and greek yogurt. I think I'm not doing bad but then I get on the scale, And I get depressed.

I havent been to follow ups in months because I am embarrassed. Last time I contacted our nutritionist from the doctor's, I left voicemail and long email. She never repied. i don't go to support groups. it's not my thing. When I come on here, everyone's like, Guys pls help, I'm only losing 20 lbs a month I'm like wow! I wish I lost that much since July! I need to lose 50 more. I thought I'd be close by now .

I don't get full! I have been eating a lot of chicken breasts, boiled eggs and fish. Then the peanut butter or nuts. Pork rinds for snack and sf popsicles, greek yogurt fit and slim.

There's a week when i was fasting. I had 2eggs and greek yogurt for breakfast, drink water all day and chicken breast for dinner. Do you know I didn't even lose weight that week?

Help me please! I feel all limds of negative things right now and I have too much on my plate in life in general as it is. I need at least one thing to work out.

Hey Rihana. I see you are new? Welcome to OH.

Just scanning through your post I see lots of ways to get back into weight-loss mode. I've also asked some of the other longer term members here to read your post and reply because many of them give far better answers than I have for you.

Do you count calories? Exercise feels really good but you're not going to lose a bunch of weight with just exercise; you've got to find out how and where you can get rid of maximum calories. Until you do that I'm pretty sure nothing will change. I understand how you feel like you are eating well and for the most part I see only a couple of red flags: 1) peanut butter. and/or nuts. These are a great source of protein but unfortunately they are also a great source of calories. Personally I would kick those to the curb until you've lost all of the weight. 2) amounts of food you are eating. We can get just as fat from the calories in chicken breast as we can from the calories in a cookie. That's why it's so imperative to know what calories you're eating.

Also, true fasting = no food. Liquids only, and for many, water only.

Others will chime in here shortly I'm sure. Don't give up by any means - but do be ready to make some dietary changes AND learn how to weigh and measure food for calorie content.

When exactly was your surgery date? Could you possible list out a day or two of what you've been eating? Lots of time fresh eyes can see what our own eyes can not.

You can do it - I am 100% certain you can reach your goal. The question that remains is how badly do you want to?

Rihana
on 11/11/17 1:44 pm

I've fasted for years this way, eating before sun up anf past sun down. It's not for weightloss. And I've always lost weight as a side effect. Now, nothing.

My problem is that I am hungry all the time. I can't think of a time when I wasn't thinking about food post surgery. My surgery was end of last yr.

I would like to know how others are able to have a protein shake only tor breakfast. That doesn't fill me up. I bevome starving very soon. And when that happens, I've got to eat and I just wasted 135 calories on that shake cos I still had to eat after.

I hate how I have felt the entire year since surgery. I don't like to feel regret but I think I do. It's a horrible feeling

Rihana
on 11/11/17 1:38 pm

My calorie intake is high. I don't get full. I start my days off well, b fore I know it, I'm past 1500 calories. It's depressing.

I usually have 2 eggs for breakfast. Boiled. This morning and yesterday, I had 2 fried eggs, fried with spray, and a small can of tuna with half a tbsp of mayo. 350 calories.

I dont know how peoppe on here manage to eat 600 calories per day. My breakfast isn't that much and it's already more than half of that.

Lunch has been chicken breast and mayo. Mayo is my new fave thing. That and nuts.

Sometimes, i get into a zone where I just eat peanut butter. I lose count of how many servings.

I wish some of this stuff made me nauseous, so I could stop rsting it. Alas, nothing does!

peachpie
on 11/11/17 3:43 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Stop trying to get full!! Eat to nourish, do not eat to fill. Measure a portion that gives you the protein you need and stop.

I recently had to reduce from eating two eggs at breakfast to one. It's freaking hard-- I've been on autopilot all my life eating two eggs. But I'm doing it. You can too.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Rihana
on 11/11/17 8:17 pm

thank you! Will do!

You're right. I can do it. ð?'ª?

You can do it too!

sor09
on 11/12/17 10:04 am

Just remember, even w/o WLS average daily calorie is 1800 to 2100.

3500 calories gets you 1 extra pound.

WLS requires you to work up to 1200-1500 eventually. Bariatric food choices are a must.

Peanut butter has more fat than protein.

You are in control of what you eat. There are lots of bariatric based recipes and eating plans that can help and you have so much to choose from.

Not sure where your vitamins get in for the day and double check that they are bariatric volumes, since you'll need that for the rest of your life too.

Keep a journal of what you eat, when you eat, how you feel about it and all emotions should get logged so you can gain even more control of your situation.

Donna L.
on 11/11/17 2:00 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

How are your thyroid and other numbers?

It's not a good idea behaviorally to eat until we are beyond full, anyway, in some respects. There's a big difference between eating until satiety and eating until we are stuffed, too.

The truth is that regardless of surgery, many of us do not necessarily get sick post-op, even a year out. You mentioned you eat peanut butter, which can be high in sugar and is quite caloric. A tablespoon serving is a measured tablespoon, and not a heaping tablespoon. It's really easy to eat 1000 calories of nuts or peanut butter without blinking an eye.

Fullness is also not the same post-op, again, regardless of surgery. This becomes different for every person. I had absolutely no restriction until almost two years out, for instance. Measuring is of paramount importance for that reason.

If you can't eat nuts or peanut butter in moderation, then do not start eating them. If you find you routinely can't stop eating, it is likely good to examine why.

Track everything you put in your mouth, even if you have to carry a notebook to do it. And track how you feel physically and emotionally when you eat. If you are forcing yourself to eat when you want to throw up, that indicates an issue that may need to be addressed in therapy. Then again, it may not. I'd suggest seeing a counselor that works with bariatric patients or disordered eating to get an assessment. Your surgeon's office could likely suggest one.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Rihana
on 11/11/17 2:08 pm

Thank you for taking your time writing this.

Only once have I eaten even when I was full. That was last week. Generally, when i eat things like demse protein, I can tell when it's yime to stop but ai get fed up of eating the same thing. That's when I eat my partner's stuff. The pb and whatnot. Generally, I buy healthy foods for myself. He doesn't. Then I find myself stuffing myself with his.

Last time I had bloods, everything was fine. I probably need therapy. I wish I had just gone for that instead of under the knife for no gain whatsoever. Now, I gotta waste money on vitamins for the rest of my life for no good reason.

When you say you had no restrictions until 2nd year out, what do you mean?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 150 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics