Pre-op diet issues

jmr8986
on 11/11/17 5:21 pm

Im not sure if anyone else has had these issues but hopefully someone has some solutions for me.

First, I am constantly thirsty. Like I feel like I have a cotton ball in my mouth and throat. I definitely get around 64 to 80+ liquids daily consisting of water and Powerade Zero. The thirst only stops for few minutes after I drink.

Secondly, I am now on day 11 of pre-op diet and I am having a very difficult time getting my bowel movements to come out. I know this sounds weird and gross but it feels stuck.

TLDR : I am thirsty and can't poop.

peachpie
on 11/11/17 5:34 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Are you in any meds? some can cause cotton mouth.

Have you tried miralax to get things moving? There is also a tea called smooth move. If it's really bad, you may need an enema to clear things up, but to keep things moving try one of those.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

jmr8986
on 11/11/17 5:38 pm

I am on meds but I have been on those for several months and never had these symptoms. Only thing new I've started taking are the multi vitamins and calcium.

Thank you for the tip I will go to the store now LOL.

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/17 5:39 pm
RNY on 10/16/17

Pre-op or post-op?

jmr8986
on 11/11/17 5:47 pm

Pre.

NYMom222
on 11/11/17 8:53 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Cotton mouth can be caused by the lack of carbs when your body goes into ketosis.

Constipation is always possible, don't let it go too far...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 11/12/17 5:50 am - Warren, OH

Your bowel functions are going to be different after surgery.

I would suggest stocking up on fiber, magnesium tablets, suppositories, stool softener, Miralax, and fleet enemas for constipation.

I also keep Imodium, Butterfly pads, and a huge supply of toilet paper for days with the opposite problem.

I now have lactose intolerance so always have Lactaid tablets in case I have something with milk or cream.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sor09
on 11/12/17 7:26 am

Not sure since I do not know your whole medical history. Not sure how long you are fasting pre op. Not sure about what type of bariatric life style training you are receiving either. Always best to ask a professional. IF it is simple, by what I read, you did not write about exercising or using Miralax with your meals. Miralax will be for constipation post op to keep you from backing up. The other powder remedies cannot be used post op. Pre op and you seems really thirsty until you drink something.... just drink more since in the long run it is better for you. Power aide does not have protein, which you need for both pre and post op. If you already have a good idea about what is really going on, have a cup of smooth move tea which is for moment of constipation. Long run; check your blood sugars and still best advice is to check with your bariatric team, since they are right there for you. Best wishes.

hollykim
on 11/12/17 1:28 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 12, 2017 at 3:26 PM Pacific Time, sor09 wrote:

Not sure since I do not know your whole medical history. Not sure how long you are fasting pre op. Not sure about what type of bariatric life style training you are receiving either. Always best to ask a professional. IF it is simple, by what I read, you did not write about exercising or using Miralax with your meals. Miralax will be for constipation post op to keep you from backing up. The other powder remedies cannot be used post op. Pre op and you seems really thirsty until you drink something.... just drink more since in the long run it is better for you. Power aide does not have protein, which you need for both pre and post op. If you already have a good idea about what is really going on, have a cup of smooth move tea which is for moment of constipation. Long run; check your blood sugars and still best advice is to check with your bariatric team, since they are right there for you. Best wishes.

"the other powder remedies cannot be used post op?

What powder remedies are you speaking of that can't be used post op?

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/17 9:38 pm

Does Powerade have sodium in it? I had to switch from Gatorade to vitamin water for the same reason. Once I switched I was fine!

Good luck

Penny

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 472 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?