DR TITUS DUNCAN

christy2544
on 11/13/17 10:13 pm

HI NEWBIE HERE WANTING TO HAVE GASTRIC BYPASS HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU FROM START TO THE END BEFORE YOU GOT THE SURGERY WHAT STEPS DO I NEED TO START ANY HELP PLEASE

ScaleSkater
on 11/14/17 6:23 am, edited 11/13/17 10:28 pm

Welcome!

You probably need to provide some additional information to get some help. Are you US or Canada? Are you commercial insurance or government? Have you read the requirements of your doctor's program and your insurance coverage? Do you qualify? Probably the first stop is your health system's informational meeting. That is the best place to ask questions to apply to your specific situation. Laws vary by state, etc. That kind of thing. But for me it took me from May to November - info session to surgery. But I had a well documented history of weight loss and gain. I also had significant comorbidities - so the path for me was fairly easy. Also look at the top of your thread you started. There is a search function. This question has been asked and answered many times. You might find a ton of info there very quickly. But again, any steps we'd tell you may not be relevant to your program. Time to get to the info session of Dr. Duncan's program. Every single program is different. Good luck.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

christy2544
on 11/15/17 10:28 am

thank you

peachpie
on 11/14/17 6:51 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

This varies for everyone, especially if you in Canada vs. the US. I'm in the US and was about 6 week weeks from consult to surgery. But that is very atypical- the standard wait in the US is about 6-8 months, give or take.

You have a surgeon, call them and see what there process is like. And call your health insurance too to see what the requirements are and if the surgery is even covered under your plan.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

christy2544
on 11/15/17 10:24 am

thank you

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/14/17 6:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

For most people in the US, the process takes between six months to a year, depending on insurance requirements.

Step 1: Find out what your insurance coverage is for WLS. If your insurance covers it, you'll have a list of requirements that vary from person to person. Common requirements include minimum BMI, comorbidities, medically-supervised diet, and psych clearance.

Step 2: Ask your insurance company what surgeons are in-network. Visit with one (or more) of them; WLS clinics often have free information seminars where you can meet the surgeon and ask questions.

Step 3: Start working on requirements. This usually involves gathering paperwork, getting testing done, and having medical appointments.

Step 4: Documentation is submitted for insurance review. After a few weeks, the insurance company will decide if they want to pay for your surgery.

Step 5: Surgery is scheduled, procedure is done, and the hard work begins!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

christy2544
on 11/15/17 10:22 am

thank you

Member Services
on 11/14/17 12:33 pm - Irvine, CA

Each person is different in moving through the process at a surgeon's office. It will depend on what guidelines you need to meet, for your insurance carrier and of course if Dr. Duncan's has any you need to meet for his program. Also, it will depend on what is surgery schedule is like at the time your approval comes in and how far out they are scheduling him at that time.

If you are already entered into his program, you might as your patient coordinator how long after approval you can expect to be put on the schedule for surgery and then ask how far out they are scheduling Dr. Duncan at this time. That will give you at least a small idea of the wait time. I know it does not answer your question definitively, but it at least gives you some idea.

Good luck!

christy2544
on 11/15/17 10:20 am

thank you

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?