Where to buy cold weather wear?

Librarian67
on 11/14/17 8:31 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Since surgery, I am cold most of the time. It isn't even winter yet and I am already freezing. Now that the weather is getting colder, I am looking for extra layers to add. I am having trouble finding something like long johns in the usual places that I shop. Could some of you who wear extra layers suggest some places where you buy them?

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

peachpie
on 11/14/17 9:10 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

LL Bean would be my go to.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

obxhatteraslight
on 11/14/17 11:26 am - baldwinsville, NY

Exactly what I was going to say as I just placed an order last night for long john or they are called thermal underwear. Wallymart has them too but I do not think that they are the quality of LL bean.

Au_Contraire
on 11/14/17 11:39 am

L.L. Bean for sure! Their silk underwear - long pants, long sleeved undershirts - are really nice. Also, Duofold:

https://www.champion.com/shop/champion/womens-workout/collec tion/duofold#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:gr id&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:20&

I spent one icy, long winter in an old farmhouse in upstate New York. The house was surrounded on all sides by fields which offered virtually no windbreak from the Canadian blasts. There was a Duofold outlet fairly close by. Without the garments I bought there I would have been constantly freezing. I actually wore not one but two sets of Duofold pants and long-sleeved tops under my nightgown to bed. This getup was neither glamorous nor in any other way conducive to romance, but I didn't care: I was gloriously, toasty warm. I'm betting just one set would keep you cozy!

Teena D.
on 11/14/17 9:46 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

A sporting goods store like Cabella's or Dick's would carry what you're looking for. Right now our Costco has a lot of cold weather gear including long johns and long sleeve under shirts. I bought some trail socks that are made with Merino wool- best purchase! I think I need to go get another pack.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

White Dove
on 11/14/17 10:14 am - Warren, OH

Kohls carries Cuddle Duds. They are warm and cute and really thin, so work well for layers.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Au_Contraire
on 11/14/17 11:40 am

I forgot about Cuddle Duds! Love them.

ScaleSkater
on 11/14/17 10:16 am

+1 on Costco. I noticed they had some nice stuff this weekend. I'm a technical wear freak, so my favorite is SportHill - now that I'm a size that fits there stuff again. I was so excited this weekend unboxing all my XL and L sports gear. I've been freezing, so I ponied up for an Arc'teryrx winter coat. So light and so warm. I got it at my local mountain outfitter (EREHWON or Nowhere spelled backwards). Sadly a one season jacket for $375 on sale. But so worth it as it makes me smile every time I put it on. My other go to is REI. Lots of them locally for me. Check out Sporthill.com They have gear rated by cold protection. Not cheap, but lasts and lasts. I have stuff that looks like new that I bought in 2001. And I'm so excited to put them on this winter. Can't wait for them to run through the laundry cycle :)

Now if those options are too expensive, check out Overstock.com. I get odd lot stuff from them all the time. Sometimes a very good deal.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

jenorama
on 11/14/17 11:43 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Costco carries the 32º line of underthings. They're thin, lightweight and very warm. I wear the long sleeved shirts constantly and I have a couple pairs of the bottoms. I know right now this shirts are on sale for $6.99, but I don't know about the bottoms. Also, a good down vest is an excellent investment.

Jen

SiennaSun
on 11/17/17 9:16 am - CO

Isn't it nice to have to put on a 'fat layer' instead of carrying it around all the time? Costco has a felina set or the heat separates. I live in the 32 degree bottoms and tops under everything. It's super thin. I wear the bottoms as tights under my dresses and yoga pants in a pinch. GREAT stuff and it's $3 off right now. How can you say no?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 469 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 383 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 328 views