Hip Pain

M. P.
on 11/19/17 7:58 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Hello everyone, and happy Sunday!

I am wondering if any of you have experienced on going hip and lower back pain? This was an issue for me presurgery, and my primary said it was because of my weight. This seemed reasonable when I was almost 300lbs at 5'4". And after loosing about 60lbs it did go away. However, it has come back in the past month or so at -120lbs. I haven't been doing much of anything different, although I have gotten on a more strict weight lifting routine. Should be noted that I have hip and lower back pain daily and it isn't more or less painful on weight lifting days. Dear old google said that body aches can be common after a significant weight loss as your bone structure is changing. Is this true? Have you guys experienced this? When did it get better? Did you do anything to help it?

Also- I haven't taken any kind of over the counter pain meds since surgery. I have some liquid Tylenol that I got for the week after surgery but I have only used it once or twice because it's so gross. I'd rather use just about anything else, lol. What kind of over the counter stuff do you use? Chewable only?

Thank you in advance!

ScaleSkater
on 11/19/17 8:24 am

First eliminate medical conditions. Go to a website faceyourbackpain.com. Answer questions to see if you might have a true if Back arthritis. If you don't then work with a physical therapist to strengthen the core that supports your back. This is the most like cause. When we lose weight the muscles don't have the same weight on them. They may need strengthening. I use Tylenol 8 hour tablets. Why are you still using liquids?

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

M. P.
on 11/19/17 8:57 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Thanks for the tip. I rarely use pain medicine and had the liquid for post op because my surgeon said liquid only initially post op. All my vitamins are chewable and I wasn't sure if tablets were okay? I'm only 8 month's post op and haven't had to buy over the counter medicines yet.

karenp8
on 11/19/17 11:22 am - Brighton, IL

Tablets are just fine now and there is no need for chewables.

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/17 8:35 am

The pain in my joints went away almost immediately after RNY. However, my back hurt increased for a while. My Chiropractor told me that my "Military neck" (neck too straight instead of having a natural curve) started to correct itself within a few months of RNY. It gets better all the time (over a year after surgery now).

After having adjustments, my back is so much better than it was before surgery. It was worse in the beginning. Virtually all of my pain everywhere is gone! Another added benefit of RNY weight loss!

Amy Liz
on 11/19/17 1:39 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I've lost 140+ in the last year and I've gone through many body weird aches and pains since surgery. Really odd pains in odd places that would linger on top of the know issues I had. I had hip and knee that got better for a while, then worse and now they are gone. My neck issues are gone but my back issues are still evolving/changing. I've had to work on my posture - I've had to learn to walk 'tall' if that makes any sense. I used to walk hunched and leaning forward... Major changes for your body!. Pre op I lived on advil and since that option is out, I just dealt with it best I could and complained to whoever would listen, haha.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 177 GW 175

dorothy1110
on 11/19/17 3:59 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I have pinched nerves between L2,L3, L4, L5. I have been dealing with pain since June 2015. After loosing 50 pounds it started feeling a little better. I tried walking more and now it's starting to hurt everyday again. Getting out of bend is getting difficult again.

Gwen M.
on 11/19/17 4:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Doctors sure do love blaming things on weight for the SMO.

If you can, make an appointment with a physical therapist and get evaluated. Our movement dynamics are screwed up when we're SMO and then they stay screwed up when we lose weight, so it's a good thing to check in with a physical therapist to work on moving correctly. Exercises like Stott Pilates can also help.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

M. P.
on 11/21/17 7:53 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

Thank you!

Jester
on 11/21/17 11:58 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I'd suggest seeing an orthopedic. Depending on the specifics of your symptoms they may order an xray and/or MRI which would let you know if anything is going on (fractures, arthritis, etc).

I have/had severe osteoarthritis in both of my knees and my left hip. Taking off the weight (~180lbs) alleviated a lot of the pain in my knees, but did nothing to ease the pain in my hip. I ended up getting my hip replaced (which was one of the nest things I ever did). I eventually need both of my knees replaced, but I can live with it for now.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics