Upcoming surgery

RNYloser
on 11/21/17 6:58 pm
VSG on 12/06/17

Hello. I am new to this and appreciate any advice. I'm having RNY 12/7/2017. I am very apprehensive and have read and am reading everything I can on do''s and dont's. Any real life advice or tips that you learned that you would like to share? Thank you.

Au_Contraire
on 11/21/17 9:24 pm

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! It is very natural to be apprehensive. I went back and forth for months prior to my surgery, at times thinking I was going to bail on the whole thing! But by the time my date finally arrived, I found myself deeply at peace with my decision. Fortunately, I had a wonderful, highly experienced, gifted surgeon. Though others experiences differ, I myself was in virtually no pain (other than when the surgery staff first woke me up post-op to ask how bad my pain was, on a scale from 1-10. It was a 9, but only because I thought it could always get worse!). But they gave me miracle pain medicine which completely controlled things, and by that evening I was up, slowly walking up and down the hall, using the bathroom, etc.

The best thing to do is to hydrate. Take lots and lots and lots of tiny sips. And walk. Sugar free popsicles can help with hydration, as can SF jello, broth, tea, etc.

I was off of all pain medicine within a week. Though I wasn't in pain, I was wiped out and took it easy for 2-3 weeks. Even though I work from my home office, I still took a little time off and babied myself for a bit. In the beginning do your best to hit 64 ounces of water, etc. daily and to get in enough protein, at least 60 grams per day. The protein is essential in helping your body to heal. It is not uncommon to not be able to drink as much as you're supposed to. Nevertheless, do your best, because becoming dehydrated can land you back in the hospital.

In the beginning you will probably feel that you're constantly drinking or waiting after eating to drink again. It requires focus. But it gets easier and more natural in time.

My best advice to you is to pay attention to the advice of the old-timers here, those who are years out from their RnYs and who have maintained their loss. Try to copy their behaviors and tactics. Not all nutritionists give good advice, even those associated with bariatric surgery centers. Avoid starchy carbs altogether even if you're told to eat breads, potatoes, etc. Avoid sweet things like applesauce. They just take up room that should be filled by protein, and eventually they will make you crave carbs and struggle with cravings. Stick with mostly protein and, later on, when the time comes, some low-carb veggies and low-carb fruits, like berries. Read the posts here, and participate in the daily menu thread.

I'm very happy for you! In no time your life will change in wonderful ways! All of us here wish you the best.

Librarian67
on 11/22/17 3:10 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! Au Contraire said alot of good things, but I will also encourage you to drink lots of fluids (including SF popsicles), walk as much as you can and avoid carbs. The more carbs that you eat, the more you will crave them. Focus on protein and fluids.

Good luck!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 204 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 372 views
Recent Topics