The wait

jg4ever02
on 12/30/17 7:25 pm

I applied for surgery and I've been denied twice now. The first time I weighed in at 40 BMI or higher was May 17th 2017. That means unless I can find a "loop hole" I have to wait until May 17 2018 to re-apply. I've tried to lose weight several times as everyone here has. I've decided that I would stay about the same weight as I weighed in May. I'm having terrible anxiety about how I look and how hard it is for me to move around. I'm also mad at my insurance company for "making" me wait that long. I've had the sleep study done, all my blood work done, and they don't consider my back issues a comorbidity. Thoughts?

jg4ever02
on 12/30/17 7:46 pm

I should state that I'm not looking to screw over the insurance company by any means. I'm just having a bad day of being chubby and needed to vent I guess.

Nancy Geoghegan
on 12/30/17 8:41 pm - Lincoln University, PA
RNY on 01/23/18

Hi. I had to wait just about a year too because of binge eating disorder. It sucks. Hang in there.

Nancy Geoghegan

peachpie
on 12/31/17 3:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

No, back issues are not a comorbidity. Back issues won't kill you, diabetes, high cholesterol, blood pressure, sleep apnea etc will. Comorbid conditionmust pose a risk to your life.

Sorry you were denied initially. If you still have no comorbid conditions, what will make it go better this time? Just curious- I'm not saying not to try, but want you to be prepared.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

hollykim
on 12/31/17 6:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 31, 2017 at 3:25 AM Pacific Time, jg4ever02 wrote:

I applied for surgery and I've been denied twice now. The first time I weighed in at 40 BMI or higher was May 17th 2017. That means unless I can find a "loop hole" I have to wait until May 17 2018 to re-apply. I've tried to lose weight several times as everyone here has. I've decided that I would stay about the same weight as I weighed in May. I'm having terrible anxiety about how I look and how hard it is for me to move around. I'm also mad at my insurance company for "making" me wait that long. I've had the sleep study done, all my blood work done, and they don't consider my back issues a comorbidity. Thoughts?

what was the reason for denial?

jg4ever02
on 12/31/17 9:11 am

My BMI haven't been above 40 for a year or longer. What happen is I was above that 40 several times but I lost weight to only gain it back. They don't count those times. They was 40 or higher BMI consecutively for a year.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/31/17 7:08 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'm so sorry that you got denied by your ins again. Do you know at exactly what bmi they need you to be at with no co morbidity & for how long you have to be there? 40 seems to be the avg bmi with no co morbidity to qualify.

Can you switch ins or save up? Maybe in the interim document your weight loss attempts like WW or a Dr supervised weight loss program. Ins companies put up a lot of hoops you have to jump thru even when you qualify for surgery. Knocking off a few of those might help you get to surgery quicker.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

jg4ever02
on 12/31/17 9:13 am

I'm going to call my insurance company on Tuesday and ask about the weight loss attempts. That's a great idea. Thank you. I know I only have 4 more months but it feels like a lifetime away.

MsTwinkles
on 12/31/17 2:13 pm
RNY on 01/16/17

I waited for years to get this surgery and was finally approved on my third attempt!

Since I didn't have the co-morbidities and I was three pounds short of a BMI of 40, my insurance company wouldn't approve me.

On the third attempt my weight had crept up and I qualified due to my BMI. I went in for the third attempt thinking that I would bite the bullet financially and self-pay. Later that week I found out that the insurance company had approved the surgery. After waiting 3 1/2 years to be approved, it was almost surreal when it finally happened.

Hugs to you! Hang in there ... you CAN do this!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics