Hunger pains

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/18 8:47 am

Question/idea/thoughts! So, i deal with hunger pains all the time! I've tried drinking water thinking it's just thirst but that never helps. I go from not hungry to literally feeling sick starving within seconds, kind of comes of no where. My dietician told me that now that I'm on full foods that I should just be eating 3 meals with 1 snack a day. So I guess my question is, is there people out there that eat more frequent small meals throughout the entire day? And if so, how did you notice your weight loss? I was told no eating within 2 hours of eachother and no longer than 4 hours, but sometimes after an hour I have the hunger pains. And yes I am eating protein!

obxhatteraslight
on 1/14/18 8:54 am - baldwinsville, NY

R U sure that it is not head hunger? IT can manifest as stomach pangs etc. Just wondering pls do not take as being rude as I get this all the time and find that it is in my head.

I would try 5 small meals to spread it out but I am not your NUT. They do not live with our new plumbing. Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/18 9:20 am

I don't think it is! Because I feel physically sick. If I didn't have the pains in my stomach feeling like I haven't eaten in days then i would probably pass it off as head hunger ... but i guess the brain can also play all sorts of tricks on you so I'm not entirely sure! All I do know is it doesn't feel pleasant haha

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/18 8:54 am

It may be extra acid. I was put on antacid for a few weeks/months post op. That made a difference.

Plus when on solid foods - I still needed protein shakes to reach 80gr of proteins. Those were my liquids in between meals. I was able to get 40-50 gr in meals - the rest - as shakes.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/18 9:21 am

I'm on an anti acid for 3 months post op! (I'm a month and a half out). Even though I'm on full foods I'm still not able to finish a small plate of food, so it could also be that maybe. I am not able to eat a lot when I do eat so maybe I just get hungry sooner because of that? Not sure, I just know it's frustrating!

hollykim
on 1/14/18 9:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 14, 2018 at 4:47 PM Pacific Time, camp.mich wrote:

Question/idea/thoughts! So, i deal with hunger pains all the time! I've tried drinking water thinking it's just thirst but that never helps. I go from not hungry to literally feeling sick starving within seconds, kind of comes of no where. My dietician told me that now that I'm on full foods that I should just be eating 3 meals with 1 snack a day. So I guess my question is, is there people out there that eat more frequent small meals throughout the entire day? And if so, how did you notice your weight loss? I was told no eating within 2 hours of eachother and no longer than 4 hours, but sometimes after an hour I have the hunger pains. And yes I am eating protein!

many of us post op eat up to 6 times a day. Even now , at 8 years out, I eat every 2-3 hours.

what exactly are you eating, you say you are eating protein, what exactly?

do you eat any carbs? Carbs can cause hunger and the desire to eat more of them, and we can eat more of them.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/18 1:50 pm

Protein as in chicken, fish, eggs, beef, Greek yogurt and so on. Yes I eat carbs as it is kind of hard to avoid but as for breads and potatoes, not super often no. I have 1 slice of whole grain bread in the morning with my eggs maybe twice a week and that's usually all I'll have but I do eat carrots and what not. Yeah maybe I'll jus****ch my carb intake and see if that makes a difference

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/15/18 1:46 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am 4 years out -- lost 220 pounds in the first 18 months and have maintained since. I can tell you what works for me.

If I eat bread, carrots, crackers, etc -- I am starving in an hour or two. Carbs make you release insulin, and insulin is the hunger hormone.

During the losing phase (honeymoon period) there is absolutely no reason to eat carbs -- they take up valuable real estate in a tiny pouch, make a person hungrier sooner and will keep one from losing as much as they possibly can during their honeymoon period.

It will NEVER BE AS EASY TO LOSE AS IT IS NOW.

At a month and half out -- more than one egg AND toast is a lot of food -- more than I eat at 4 years out. Are you tracking, weighing and measuring your intake? If not, now is a great time to start. I lost best under 700 calories and under 30 grams of carbs a day -- often far less in the first 5 months.

Many small meals of simple dense proteins will go much further in keeping you satiated.

I hope this helps.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/18 4:23 pm
On January 15, 2018 at 9:46 PM Pacific Time, Kat W. wrote:

I am 4 years out -- lost 220 pounds in the first 18 months and have maintained since. I can tell you what works for me.

If I eat bread, carrots, crackers, etc -- I am starving in an hour or two. Carbs make you release insulin, and insulin is the hunger hormone.

During the losing phase (honeymoon period) there is absolutely no reason to eat carbs -- they take up valuable real estate in a tiny pouch, make a person hungrier sooner and will keep one from losing as much as they possibly can during their honeymoon period.

It will NEVER BE AS EASY TO LOSE AS IT IS NOW.

At a month and half out -- more than one egg AND toast is a lot of food -- more than I eat at 4 years out. Are you tracking, weighing and measuring your intake? If not, now is a great time to start. I lost best under 700 calories and under 30 grams of carbs a day -- often far less in the first 5 months.

Many small meals of simple dense proteins will go much further in keeping you satiated.

I hope this helps.

I'm just going by what my dietician told me and she told me to add grains to each meal. I also wasn't able to finish that piece of bread and egg, but that's what I made. I am not able to finish any meal I make which is fine. I think I'm getting a lot of slack over the fact I said I had bread twice in one week, and that's since my surgery which means I've obky had 2 pieces of bread lol. Typically I have an omelette or a smoothie in the morning and a salad for lunch and some kind of meat for supper with veggies ... I'm sure i will figure out what works for me as time goes on .. thank you for your input

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/15/18 2:45 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

>> Yes I eat carbs as it is kind of hard to avoid...

Is someone physically forcing you to eat bread or potatoes? Many, MANY of the successful people here on OH eat almost exclusively lean, dense protein (i.e. meat) during the honeymoon phase.

Don't keep them in your pantry, don't order them at restaurants. If someone else provides them, make the conscious decision not to put them in your mouth.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 235 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?