Four weeks post op perforated ulcer surgery - abdominal pain

Tristabelle
on 2/17/18 6:21 pm

Four weeks ago I experienced some of the worst pain of my life. I was diagnosed with a perforated ulcer at our local emergency room and was flown to a larger hospital for emergency surgery. I spent a week in the hospital with an NG tube and an eight in*****ision from chest to belly button. A week after returning home I was back in the ER where I was diagnosed with c diff. Que the nasty liquid antibiotics.

A week after that I went to see my surgeon and had my staples removed. Upon removal it was discovered that I have one very large, and two much smaller hematoma or seroma (no one knows which) but an ultrasound confirms that it's likely not a hernia.

That Sunday I started to feel better. I did a little bit around the house (no lifting though). Did the dishes, wiped the counter, I did lift the clean towels out if the dryer but that was not a heavy load by any means. Then that Tuesday (five days ago now) I started to experience intense pain to the right of my incision line, right above my belly button and close to the largest hematoma/seroma. It got worse with movement and as the day wore on the pain became unbearable. I could hardly walk so back to the ER I went. I had a ct scan done but nothing new could be found. Blood work came back mostly normal (elevated something to do with my pancreas but the surgeon on call was not alarmed). I was admitted for pain control and observation. The pain meds I was given barely even touched this constant burning (stabbing with movement) pain. I was in the all out 'omg this hurts ugly cry" even after a ton of phentenol and morphine. Even urinating was excruciating. The next day, I was told that the hospital drs best guess is that the hematoma or seroma is leaking into my abdominal muscles and this is what's caused all of this pain. I was sent home with hydrocodone and told to apply heat packs and lay low. But here I am four days after discharge and it's not getting any better. When I google seroma or hematoma all I see is complaints of mild pain. This is NOT mild pain. The perforated ulcer was a ten. this is about an eight. I can barely get out of my bed and the hydrocodone they prescribed me works for about thirty minutes before wearing off.

My pcp is out of the clinic, fighting colon cancer. His fill in while he's out is a nightmare to work with. He was irritated when I asked him to please explain this to me again on the day after being released from the hospital for a follow up. he gave me the very basic definition of a hematoma and seroma. He could not explain why this hurts so badly. He told me it's not an infection and I should be fine he's a pompous jerk, I didn't push him any harder because I figured I'll just call my surgeon.

I called my surgeon the next day. My surgeons nurse informed me that they had gone over my scans and see nothing to cause concern. I told her that I just wanted her to let me know that this pain is normal with this diagnoses and she stated that all people experience pain differently so what some people might consider mild is worse for others. She then offered to prescribe me Valium. I told her no thank you as I still have Valium, hydrocodone, and tramadol. I don't want or need pain pills, I want answers. She again said that it's just the way different people experience pain. Frustrated, I hung up and cried for an hour

Now my question. Does this sound normal? Has anyone experienced anything like this themselves? I'm supposed to return to work on Tuesday and even though I'm easing into it by going half time, I just don't see how it will be possible (office job but even sitting up is excruciating for even a small amount of time). And where do I go from here for help?? It's so scary and depressing feeling so alone in all of this in the medicine world. I feel like I can't get anyone to truly hear me right now. Thank you in advance.

NYMom222
on 2/17/18 8:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Wow that does sound like an ordeal.

I did have a seroma near one of my suture lines after plastic surgery on my thighs. It did become infected around it and I ran a high fever. I took Tylenol and warm Epsom salt baths as it was the weekend. I was talking to the Doc on the phone, but didn't get to see him until Tuesday. (Monday he was in surgery) The seroma ended up bursting on its own from the Epsom salt baths. When it happened it looked like a horror movie. Blood everywhere. When I did see the Doc he still lanced it to get more fluid/blood out.

I don't know if that experience helps in anyway.

Pain is never normal. You are kind of in a hard position unless something changes. They said heat packs but I would go with the Epsom salt baths. The magnesium is a muscle relaxer so might help with some of the residual stress pain, and no better way to get heat on an area.

Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Tristabelle
on 2/18/18 8:36 am
On February 18, 2018 at 4:51 AM Pacific Time, NYMom222 wrote:

Wow that does sound like an ordeal.

I did have a seroma near one of my suture lines after plastic surgery on my thighs. It did become infected around it and I ran a high fever. I took Tylenol and warm Epsom salt baths as it was the weekend. I was talking to the Doc on the phone, but didn't get to see him until Tuesday. (Monday he was in surgery) The seroma ended up bursting on its own from the Epsom salt baths. When it happened it looked like a horror movie. Blood everywhere. When I did see the Doc he still lanced it to get more fluid/blood out.

I don't know if that experience helps in anyway.

Pain is never normal. You are kind of in a hard position unless something changes. They said heat packs but I would go with the Epsom salt baths. The magnesium is a muscle relaxer so might help with some of the residual stress pain, and no better way to get heat on an area.

Good Luck

Thank you for your response. My hematoma/seroma is under my muscles, very deep. The drs don't want to touch it because it's so deep that opening it up will cause a new open wound that likely to become infected. I appreciate your suggestion to take hot baths. I honestly appreciate ANY suggestions and personal insight. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/18/18 7:50 am

No help from me, I just want to offer sympathy.

Pain like that is never normal. Watch your temperature very closely. I would be careful with baths, and with pain like that I would make sure someone is home checking on me every few minutes if I decided to take a bath. After one of my surgeries I almost passed out in shower. The ho****er was too much for my body to handle on the of the pain and pain pills.

As for the pain - just in case the pain is caused by constipation due to pain pills and lack of movement- I would chose just liquids for a while and try to "clean my gut" - low doses of miralax a few times a day work for me without major pain or cramps. I rather deal with more "runny" BM than trying to strain when my belly is so much in pain.

Good luck. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tristabelle
on 2/18/18 8:41 am
On February 18, 2018 at 3:50 PM Pacific Time, H.A.L.A B. wrote:

No help from me, I just want to offer sympathy.

Pain like that is never normal. Watch your temperature very closely. I would be careful with baths, and with pain like that I would make sure someone is home checking on me every few minutes if I decided to take a bath. After one of my surgeries I almost passed out in shower. The ho****er was too much for my body to handle on the of the pain and pain pills.

As for the pain - just in case the pain is caused by constipation due to pain pills and lack of movement- I would chose just liquids for a while and try to "clean my gut" - low doses of miralax a few times a day work for me without major pain or cramps. I rather deal with more "runny" BM than trying to strain when my belly is so much in pain.

Good luck. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Thank you for your response. And thank you for the reminder to watch my temp. I was doing that pretty regularly but I haven't been the last two days.

I'm lucky that my husband has the available leave to be here with me and to help take care of me. I know what you mean about the ho****er. Just a simple quick hot shower takes everything out of me. I tried a bath but getting in and out of the tub from the laying down position is just too hard.

No miralax for me. The c diff makes sure that I'm not constipated. But thank you for that suggestion as well.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/18 8:20 am

I have no answers. I just feel the need to apologize and say we are here for you anytime you need to vent or talk. I am sorry you are going through all this. What a scary road when you are hoping for a different outcome.

Please keep us up to date. Prayers and thoughts.

Tristabelle
on 2/18/18 8:42 am
On February 18, 2018 at 4:20 PM Pacific Time, RoundPenny wrote:

I have no answers. I just feel the need to apologize and say we are here for you anytime you need to vent or talk. I am sorry you are going through all this. What a scary road when you are hoping for a different outcome.

Please keep us up to date. Prayers and thoughts.

Thank you. It's nice to have support. ??

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 475 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Forum Search Error & 404