Experiences with pre-op diet

Haley_Martinez
on 2/21/18 11:52 am
RNY on 05/03/18

Hello everyone!

I have my appointment with the nutritionist in a week where I am sure she will put me on my official pre-op diet (I am on what appears to be an unofficial diet now). I was wondering what others experiences were with their pre-op diets. How long were/are you on it? Is it liquids only?

I've noticed that most people lose a good amount of weight before their surgery with the pre-op diet, so I am sure it's intense.

Thanks for any replies

-Haley

ScottAndrews
on 2/21/18 12:02 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

Pro op diets are mainly about losing "liver fat" as they need to lift your liver up to get to get to your stomach. The less that liver weighs the less damage the retractor can do.

Pre-op diets are usually low carb/ high protein in nature and then 3-2 days prior to surgery you go on a "clear liquids only" diet which I'm sure is standard for any GI related surgery.

HonestOmnivore
on 2/21/18 12:21 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

The clinic where I had my WLS required a pre-op diet to help show patients what would be expected post surgery. It was also used as a kind of test to prove to the surgical team that you could follow instructions even when it is HARD TO DO. I was spared this requirement because I was right at the line where if I lost five pounds I would be under the BMI line that made me eligible for the surgery. I was required to record all my foods (which I'd been doing in MFP for years) and to adhere to a low sugar, complex carb, whole food approach to eating. Going into the holidays prior to completing the waiting period the nutritionist looked at my weight (right on the line) and said "This is the first time I've ever told a patient to go ahead and enjoy the holiday meals, but you should be fine just be reasonable!" and I did, and I was (picked up five or six pounds).

For those who are MO or SMO they often require a strict liquid diet a week or two prior to surgery to shrink your liver down enough to make the surgery safer for you, and easier for the surgeon.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/18 1:39 pm

My surgeon made me lose quite a lot pre op to prove I didn't have a food addiction I guess ... it was really hard honestly.

However I did sail through the surgery and needed no diabetic medication even before surgery which I'm sure helped me heal faster.

bethmal
on 2/21/18 4:36 pm
RNY on 12/26/17

I was on Opti-fast for two weeks prior to surgery. I am not going to lie it wasn't easy. I had surgery on December 26th so I was unable to join in the holiday eating. That didn't bother me so much it was the Opti-fast that grossed me out near the end of the 2 weeks. I chose just not to eat it and drink clear liquids near the end. Good luck to you!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

ks76
on 2/22/18 9:59 am
RNY on 11/29/17

My hospital/surgeon required me to drink 5 bariatric advantage shakes a day for 2 weeks, I was also allowed 4 meals in that timeframe.

Highest Weight: 315, Day Of Surgery: 291.5 CW 184

JennyPenny73
on 2/22/18 12:45 pm

I start my 2 week preop diet on Wednesday and Im a bit concerned. It consists of 4 HMR 70 plus shakes/ puddings a day with one small meal. Im sure the 2 week diet will not kill me Im not so sure my coworkers will not. I foresee a couple weeks of Hangriness and did I mention its also my PMS week? God help us all. It seems that every surgeon has different requirements prior to WLS but in the long run its all worth it. Im really looking forward to my new healthier life!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 245 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics