Traveling next week! Panic!

ladylost2
on 2/23/18 11:52 am
RNY on 10/02/17

I will be traveling internationally all next week and I am starting to panic. I am about 5 months post op. I don't want to sabotage myself, but I still want to try new things in Ireland. I will be gone a full week. I have packed some protein bars, but any other advice?

Theduffman27
on 2/23/18 12:04 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

I am 3 years post op, recently spent 2 weeks in China. Like you I brought protein bars, I also brought along beef jerky,I brought a few tuna packets as well. The Hotels I stayed in had wonderful breakfast and I would eat a high protein breakfast every morning , have a protein bar for a snack , some days I would not eat lunch and would end up having beef jerky or a tuna packet and then dinner I would choose a lean protein and veggies. I think you should be able to plan accordingly. Not always easy. People I was with would comment that I did not eat very much, I am sure you have already experienced that comment. Just prepare as best as you can and look over the menu carefully. I was sure to eat only steamed veggies when in china and alot of fish. Have a great time on your trip , just try to plan ahead as much as you can and keep your head wrapped around your plan.....Make sure to eat the bangers and skip the mash! Envious!

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 190, CW- 194.4 - 4.4 lbs to goal

Theduffman27
on 2/23/18 12:05 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

One other piece of advice, the hotels I stay in normally have a couple of bottles of water that are complimentary, grab them every day so housekeeping will restock your water. Saves from buying a couple of bottles a day.

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 190, CW- 194.4 - 4.4 lbs to goal

ScottAndrews
on 2/23/18 12:42 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

Take it easy. Honestly I used to look forward to traveling (and the eating out) but now when I travel I find I just want to go home and make some oatmeal. Restaurant food is a bit too rich to eat with any regularity.

Good news is Irish breakfasts are usually protein rich. Good luck and have fun.

Sheila_H
on 2/23/18 1:18 pm - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Doesn't seem like it but I think it's actualky easier to stay on plan abroad than here. Restaurant portions are much much smaller. Just skip the first course and dessert and you are golden. Order fish (not the breaded kind) and you'll do fine. I used my protein bars for breakfast because where I was traveling breakfast was coffee and a croissant!!! Enjoy your trip.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: 151

PGW: 140-142

helferships
on 2/23/18 3:03 pm
RNY on 11/14/16

I went to Ireland at around six months out and had a grand time. I would suggest you bring some good protein bars (as the gas station ones I found were kind of sugary) and maybe some protein powder and a shaker. Agree with the previous poster about breakfasts - they were amazing. Chips for lunch a bit less so but there was lots of fresh fish.

Have a a wonderful trip!

Dodgergirl27
on 2/26/18 11:02 am
RNY on 01/22/14

Hello,

I had to travel internationally (China and Korea) for business for 2 weeks post op. I was terrified! Unknown foods, lots of business dinners, etc. The short answer is that things not only went well, but I came home 8 lbs lighter. Here are my big tips:

Only try a bite or two of everything (especially if you are in a situation where you need to look like you are eating a lot). I also got very good at pushing my food around my plate to try and and look like I was eating more than I was.

As I did in the US, I always started with the protein first and tried to focus on eating as much of that as possible w/o eating any of the rice or noodles offered to me.

Don't drink with meals (once again this was true in the US as well, but it became especially important while travelling)

Finally, definately bring protein forward snacks! It was hard to get my protein in, especially b/c I wasn't ordering for myself or able to do any meal planning. I was able to drink my shakes for breakfast (skip the hotel breakfast) and then at least have a super high protein meal each day. Also, the snacks helped fill in at night if I felt hungry, so I didn't get junk food from hotel lobby.

Good luck! Have an amazing trip!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 249 views