"Reset"

macygranny
on 4/16/18 8:10 am - Vandalia, IL

has anyone on here had to "reset" themself? I am wondering do I need to do the 2week liquid diet again? I know I had mine 10 yrs ago and things have changed. I have had medical issues and have gaine 10-15 lbs and am struggling getting it to move again ! HELP

Vicky
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/16/18 8:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The two-week liquid diet won't do a darn thing. You're best off just jumping straight into the good habits you had immediately after surgery.

If you need a mental jumpstart to get back on track, how about the Five Day Meat Test?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

siberiancat
on 4/17/18 9:45 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
on 4/17/18 9:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The pouch test website (again, total bunk) provides examples:

Day 3: Soft Protein
canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy.

Day 4: Firm Protein
ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut.

Day 5: Solid Protein
white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

siberiancat
on 4/18/18 8:49 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

So, are the 5 day meat test and the Pouch test the same thing?

I'm 9 years out from RNY and have never done the pouch reset test. I was thinking the 5 day meat test was something different??

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

on 4/18/18 8:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes, they are different.

The pouch test basically has you do a 5-day progression from liquids only to a soft diet, similar to what you do when you are initially recovering from surgery.

The meat test is basically an "all meat all the time" for 5 days, which is what we should be doing all along :)

siberiancat
on 4/17/18 9:45 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'd like some examples of "soft" and "firm". I would think "solid" would be meat.

Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt would be "soft"???

Hard boiled eggs would be "firm" ??

What proteins have you used for the "soft" and "firm" days?

Thanks for your help,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Dcgirl
on 4/16/18 9:52 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Yeah, with a larger pouch, a liquid test will just make you miserable :( And be so hard to stick to! Go back to dense protein 100%. Eat chicken breast, ground turkey, shrimp, fish, steak, etc. Add in cheese or healthy fats like avocado. Don't use precious pouch space on carbs like crackers and potatoes and pasta. Don't drink any calories either, while you're looking to lose.

I also find that I do MUCH better when I weigh my food on a digital food scale. Clearly I am not good at eyeballing portion sizes! When I measure 4 oz of deli turkey, it looks small...then when I eat it, it fills me up!

Don't drink with your meals or for 30 minutes after. But set a goal to drink 100+ oz of fluids a day!

I would say a large percentage of WLS patients experience some regain. You're definitely not alone. You can do this if you go back to basics and stick to protein!

Good luck!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/16/18 10:33 am, edited 4/16/18 3:33 am

The only time I would do "liquid diet" is when my pouch or my gut don't tolerate solid foods as in - dense proteins and veggies make me sick- or in pain. Or if I get constipated - then I may chose more liquid diet to resolve that.

Last few months I was really eating whatever- whenever. I gained 15 lbs. Yesterday I cooked a lot of high protein foods, plus I made sure I have enough high protein snacks if I need that. I may not follow a pure meat diet - but I plan proritize protein first. 4-5 meals, hopefully no snacks.

I know I can lose the 15 lbs in 2-3 months. Or sooner, as long as I don't cheat and eat too many carbs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sue M.
on 4/16/18 10:57 am

I just started a pouch reset and tried just 2 days of liquid protein. I was very hungry, so now am eating the meat for most meals and the liquid protein for snacks, if needed. I was way off eating right for many years so am starting over to lose the 50 lb. regain. I noticed that eating the meat fills me up right away and I am certain that I was overeating and stretching the pouch for a long time.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404