PROBIOTICS...

Carrie C.
on 4/24/18 7:32 am - Victoria, TX

I'm 10 years out from having my RNY and my digestive issues, malnutrition, absorption etc issues have really caught up!! On and off antibiotics / steroids throughout the years, surgeries etc.

Please tell me your suggestions as to what your recommendations are for the best Probiotics are to heal the Leaky gut digestive issues??? Enzymes too please?? SBO's or NO on the Probiotics??

TIA

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/24/18 11:02 am

I don't think there is one answer. It may depend what your issues are, medical issues, vitamin mineral deficiencies or excess, allergies and food sensitivities and last but not least - likes and dislikes.

Checking blood work see info presented by Julie

Here is the link to Julie post on the main board.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6032156/Helpful-vitam in-info/#50406259

Normalizing your numbers can be very important. You can't heal if your body does not have enough minerals and vitamins to help with the repair.

I have sibo and leaky gut, that lead to severe food allergies. Very slowly I am working on trying to heal it. I get better, then do something stupid, feel adventurous in my foods and drink and get worse.

Main thing for me was to figure out why I have leaky gut and what I need to do to fix it.

i.e. vitamin, mineral and protein deficiencies can cause our internal tissue to get weak and tear or get damaged more easily. Add SIBO (google that), candida, and IBS-C and all new problems are there. I can't fix my leaky gut without taking care of the SIBO and Candida and constipation. To top that - food - and other allergies - eating foods that I am allergic to would cause internal inflammation and more damage.

There are foods that I became allergic to because of the leaky gut and foods that I am simply allergic to for a long time, with or without the leaky gut. Detail allergy panel can help but a person needs to be retested and watch for symptoms long term. i.e. I am allergic to dairy proteins. But there are few proteins in dairy. After 2 years I can tolerate some of the dairy but not others.

I woudl suggest you try to find a good functional medicine doctor in your area. They can help you with a lot of the issues. But be prepared it may take time and money to start healing. To see results .

I am slowly improving. Very slowly. I can now tolerate some foods that even a year ago would cause a huge amount of pain and discomfort. But when I overdue - "test the waters" too much or too many times in one week - I hurt and hurt badly.

The SCD style diet may be a good start - check the website and other free sites available. Read a lot about SIBO, Candida, leaky gut, etc. try things for at least 1 month at a time to see if that have any impact. Unfortunately, while you one a specific diet - one "cheating meal" can set you back to the beginning of the process. I found that the hard way. Specially at the beginning.

https://scdlifestyle.com/2010/03/the-scd-diet-and-leaky-gut- syndrome/

https://www.dietvsdisease.org/sibo-diet/

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3099351/

And many many more places that has a lot of infor.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Carrie C.
on 4/24/18 12:59 pm - Victoria, TX

Ty for all this great info!

Yes, I've been on the Leaky Gut journey for past two months and feeling better but the probiotics I've been taking are the SBO's which I'm now understanding are the worst kind for us RNY Gastric Bypass peeps due to the bacteria growth issues in the small intestine area. Also I have no gall bladder either. I'm now understanding I should be taking a Probiotic that has a minimum of 7 strains and at least 50 billion cfu strength as well as kept refrigerated... This is my reason for asking what some of you others might be taking and find to be the BEST Brands our tgere.

Again ty for your response and help ... I hope you find healing too ð?'

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/24/18 6:58 pm, edited 4/24/18 1:05 pm

I rotate a few types of probiotics: VSL-3, Florastor, Primal Defence Ultra, plus a few others. But - I need to make sure the probiotics don't take place in my small intestine. Any bacteria overgrowth in small intestine can cause issue. There are not good or bad in SIBO situation. That's why treatment is needed first then adding probiotics as my body tolerates them.

I took antibiotics and Rx Candida meds for my SIBO. Then added one probiotic at a time and watched what happened. Adding just vsl-3 did not help as much as combining it with Florastor (it is a type of yeast-beneficial) plus adding primal defence. That helped me to digest and tolerate more foods. But that after app 18 months of treatment.

But I had to be careful. The more adventurous I became picking foods I can eat lately I am getting more and more pain and it looks like I need my mid year antibiotics plus diflucan treatment together with diet to control the growth of bacteria and candida in my small intestine. I started having sumptoms I did not have for a while.

As far as I know - I may be able to control SIBO and Candida, but most likely, a full cure is just a dream if I hope to have semi normal diet. Gut bacteria create whole colony - with biofilm that antibiotics or other stuff can't penetrate. The treatment kills a few layers, but biofilm protects the internal layers in the biota "colony". Once the treatment is finished - they can grow back. The goal is to establish good balanced biota that will control itself.

Maybe one day they approve fecal transplant for people like me. Recent studies show great progress on that.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Miss Liss
on 4/24/18 11:56 am

My surgery was 14 years ago, and I've been having a difficult time the last 2 years due to digestive issues. I went from doctor to doctor with no answers. It wasn't until I found a naturopathic doctor that I got answers and started my road to recovery. I had horrible sinus issues that kept me on antibiotics and steroids a good bit. My issues ended up being a candida over growth and some adrenal issues along with other hormonal issues. The biggest thing has been treating the Candida which is most likely responsible for everything. I got answers in August 2016 and started a very restrictive diet along with many natural healing supplements. I'm healing. It's been slow, and I'm not 100% better, but I am back to living my life and feeling good most days. I still have some bad moments, but those are usually traced back to me because I got lax with the diet or supplements for a hot minute. My gut cannot tolerate gluten, dairy, sugar, or coffee. Just recently, I have been able to add back coffee once or twice a week if its the coffee with chicory, and I cold brew it and then heat it up.

I swap my probiotics around. I don't take the same one over and over. I take enzymedica brand enzymes, and I swap my candida supplements around. I have found Solaray Yeast Cleanse and NOW Candida Support to work best for me. Different supplements work best for different people. You have to try and see what works. Good luck. I hope you find what works and feel better.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 219 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics