Hi! I'm wondering how different everybody's "plan" really is. Trying to nail mine...

fridge_marshal
on 4/25/18 3:52 pm, edited 4/25/18 3:57 pm
RNY on 04/19/18

I've been lurking this forum for a couple months now (very inspiring btw, thank you!) and see lots of variability when it comes to people's plans. I know that's how it should be, catered to the individual and their surgeon, but I am 2 weeks out from surgery and am still trying to get my routine down and a definite plan. If you could sum up your plan for me that I could use as an example/benchmark that would be great!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/25/18 4:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Did your doctor give you a plan? That's what you should be following, minus any empty carbs like mashed potatoes or cream of wheat.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 4/25/18 4:54 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You are early out, so absolutely follow the doctor's progression. The Blog- The world according to Eggface has suggestions of what to eat at each stage.

If you are talking further out ... I mostly counted protein and fluids, I would do occasional spot check weeks on My fitness Pal to see where I was at, stayed mostly in the 750ish range I think after about 6 months and for rest of weight loss. If I had an occasional 950 day that was fine too. A day I chose steak would have higher calories than a day I chose fish.

I worked my way up to 100 g of protein a day and at least 64oz of fluid. I did not just coun****er in that. I also drank a protein shake/drink every day for the first 2 years.

My surgeon said as a general guideline to count every ounce of chicken, beef, fish, pork, an egg and ¼ c cottage cheese as 7g.

Protein shakes were to be 20-30g protein and not more than 200c or 5g sugar.

I also weighed myself everyday and recorded it once a week- my accountability.

Hope that helps- good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

seattledeb
on 4/25/18 9:27 pm

And you very were very successful!

I counted protein and fluid in the beginning.

I agree the immediate post operative diet is based on what your surgeon suggests without the simple carbs.

ScottAndrews
on 4/25/18 5:59 pm, edited 4/25/18 10:59 am
RNY on 03/20/17

2 weeks out the plan is quite simple. Liquids, protein shakes (I highly recommend Premier Protein brand) and I think I had very limited amounts of things like hummus, Greek yogurt without sugar and I ate a lot of thick-puréed soups. There's such a thing as plain protein powder that you can add to stuff to kick it up a notch but you can't add it to hot food. Gotta be cold and then you mix it in and then you can heat it up.

You should always follow your plan but not everybody reacts the same way. First "solid" food I had was some soft boiled egg and that was 3-4 weeks out. Then maybe some creamy tuna salad a week later. Fish was big for me and I hope you're a fan of it. It's probably the easiest meat to eat.

At 10 weeks I had a small piece of filet mignon. That was big

I remember a lot of trial and error. Lots of cases of "the foamies" A lot of trips to the bathroom to throw up.

Take it slow. That's the best plan. I was packing my lunch in 2 oz cups for quite a while. Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?