Bloated

Rhonda1987
on 4/29/18 7:57 am

no matter what or when I eat I'm bloated severely!!

No carbonation, my belly hurts! What is going on?

Rhonsa

Maddymoe2
on 4/29/18 8:04 am
RNY on 11/22/16

Are you constipated?? If I eat carbs, I become very bloated. I hope you feel better soon.

Rhonda1987
on 4/29/18 8:11 am

I have bathroom issues after my gastric bypass surgery, I can go days without going . I went 14 days before I went, and I had all kinds of tests and Everything is normal , I am going to start a water pill every day and a laxative everyday! I need to loose 30 pounds and next week I'm going back to clear liquids for a couple weeks, see if this helps need.

Maddymoe2
on 4/29/18 8:51 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I take miralax every day in my coffee and magnesium.

Amy R.
on 4/29/18 10:05 am
On April 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Pacific Time, Rhonda1987 wrote:

I have bathroom issues after my gastric bypass surgery, I can go days without going . I went 14 days before I went, and I had all kinds of tests and Everything is normal , I am going to start a water pill every day and a laxative everyday! I need to loose 30 pounds and next week I'm going back to clear liquids for a couple weeks, see if this helps need.

Hi Rhonda. A couple of things. 14 days is way too long, I think you already know that. Many here take Miralax daily to prevent that type of thing. I'd have been in the hospital if it had been 14 days so I'm glad you are ok. It does sound like too few bowel movements are possibly why you're bloated.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on the idea of taking a diuretic each day. Diuretics actually remove fluid from our bodies at a faster than normal rate. They are normally prescribed for serious edema issues and the like (I take large doses of Rx Lasix because I have no choice).

Since diuretics move fluid out of the body more quickly they actually can make constipation worse.

I have to drink approx. 3 liters of water a day and I still have trouble. The more fluids in your system, the better your bowels and intestines and such work. Diuretics cause a type of dehydration on purpose. They will likely only add to your discomfort so please consider running it by your doc first and make sure he understands that you want to use them for this purpose.

Good Luck, I know it's difficult. It's an unfortunate consequence of WLS for some but it can be managed successfully by the majority.

Rhonda1987
on 4/29/18 12:53 pm

hi..Mira lax doesn't work for me,, no clue why.. I've had colooscopy, and no blockage, nothing.. I ve gone 14 days without a BM. I never go every day, maybe 2 times a week .Sometimes only once a week. I'm starting a clear liquid diet next week, and see how it goes.

I also am calkica a plastic surgeon doctor, Randall petman, from Cleveland clinic tomorrow. I have excess skin, it's bothering me with rashes, and makes my lower back hurt, which I injured back in ,2002 n a car accident. I was turned down years ago for the surgery, but one of my friends just had her abdominoplasty Friday, same insurance as me, so she told me what I need to say to the Dr.. so let's hope I get approved!!

Miralax

Amy R.
on 4/29/18 1:42 pm

I'm sorry it doesn't work for you - it works for me but only randomly so I completely get it. And I hope you find your solution soon.

Actually I was more concerned with the idea of you taking a "water pill"/diuretic. Just wanted you to know that doing that will most likely make your constipation worse. So you should probably run that by your doc first if you haven't already.

Good luck, I honestly hope you get your answers. That has got to be so uncomfortable.

And good luck on your plastic surgery approval as well.

catwoman7
on 4/29/18 10:04 am
RNY on 06/03/15

like the other poster, I also bloat when i'm backed up. I also take Miralax every day to prevent it (usually works like a charm - although I still occasionally get backed up regardless..)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/29/18 10:30 am

Seams like constipation may be your issue. I take miralax every day and extra magnesium. Miralax every morning, 800 mg mg magnesium oxide every evening. Works great. Laxative can be habbit forming, miralax is dupposupto be much better, no habit forming.

When I get constipated - I often stop eating any solid food and relay heavily on liquids lots of liquids until things clear out. Since you are severely constipated- it may even take up to a week to get everything out. Been there- unfortunately.

A few days ago I had a hernia surgery. The surgery plus the pain pills - I did not have a BM for 48 hours. After 24 hours I increased miralax, and drank a lot of water. (Tea, coffee, flavored drinks, stock, etc). It took me a while day to get rid of the " left overs".

If what I did would not work, I was planning to star****er enemas to start things moving from "that end". Or (and) suppositories.

14 days without a BM is horrible. No wonder you are bloated and in pain. I would be also.

I don't allow for more than 36 hours without BM. I use any and all things I know to make it happen

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MichelleS61
on 4/29/18 1:27 pm - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I'm having similiar issues but had issues before surgery, my clinic told me to take 2 Senokot daily plus a stool softener, I do take a diurectic for high BP. Even with the Senokot I'm still backing up, after 3-4 days I've been taking Milk of Magnesia and that usually gets things moving but still don't feel empty. I'm worried about long term implications, I was adding benefibre daily but was told it was a bad idea if I'm not going. What's the difference between Senokot and Miralax? Also would adding a daily probiotic help, I used to have before surgery.

Since you seem to have dealt with this a lot hoping you can help.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 191 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics