Realistic expectations

CRS
on 5/1/18 8:05 am

hi. I'm wondering if anyone else has to struggle so hard to lose a lb. I read here that a lot of people lose a lot of weight, and get to goal weight very quickly. Many people do this within 6-8 months, some even 5 months.

For me every lb is a battle. I don't believe I have enough restriction or either my soma is too large or both. I'm 3 months post op and not satisfied with the weight loss. My weight goes up and down. I can't believe I can gain weight back on 750 calories but I do. And it resembles my weight struggles pre-op.

Im 56 years old, this is a revision from lapband, and I'm intentionally eating less to get some weight off. I'm nervous not getting enough protein in and for my health.

If if you can relate, confirm or dispel my concerns, beliefs or give support, Id appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Amy R.
on 5/1/18 8:26 am

love your user name ;)

Many people have your same worry early out. Comparing yourself to others won't work for most. And it usually doesn't end well.

It's odd, but while some get big starts early out eventually it seems most of us get to the same place over the same period of time. Think about it. If you only lose 10 pounds per month, you'll be down 120 pounds by the end of your first year. I finally had to put my scale away at a few months out.

However. Revising from a lap-band seems to cause folks to verifiably lose at a slower rate. There are reasons which I can't remember but you'll get some better replies than mine soon from those that have been where you are.

If you want to - you can change your thread title to reflect that you are a former band patient. You'll get more attention from former lap banders if they see it in your thread title. There are several here but not everyone is on these main boards as much as we get further out.

Either way, good luck. I think you'll be just fine. But maybe I can send a few somebodies in this direction for you.

CRS
on 5/1/18 8:47 am

Thank you so much

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/1/18 9:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Actually, most people take about a year to lose all their weight. The people *****ach goal in 6 months or less are often starting at a lower body weight. So don't worry about comparing yourself!

From what I've read, the feeling of fullness you get with an RNY is very different than what you had with a band. In all likelihood, your pouch provides enough restriction and is not too big; it just feels different from what you're used to.

What are you eating? If you are eating carbs, you won't feel much restriction. If you just do dense protein, though, you should be just fine.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CRS
on 5/1/18 9:25 am

Hi. I was able to get 11 oz of food at 5 weeks out. I contacted my nutritionist at that time and all carbs(except from veggies) and fruit was cut out of my food plan. I have been having these struggles on dense protein.

Also there were some very scary days for me when I felt very hungry, and "starving"which also reminds me of pre-surgery thoughts .

Has anyone else felt this hungry so soon after this surgery. I have been getting my liquids in so this isn't a concern

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/1/18 9:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

At 5 weeks out, 11oz of food is FAR too much. You are risking busting your pouch wide open, and you could quite literally die.

The nerves in your stomach have been severed, and you will not feel any restriction until they heal, which could take a few months. It is CRUCIAL to weigh and measure your food so that you do not burst your pouch.

Are you taking an acid reducer? Excess acid can mimic hunger, so a PPI can help with this.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 5/1/18 3:47 pm
On May 1, 2018 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, CRS wrote:

Hi. I was able to get 11 oz of food at 5 weeks out. I contacted my nutritionist at that time and all carbs(except from veggies) and fruit was cut out of my food plan. I have been having these struggles on dense protein.

Also there were some very scary days for me when I felt very hungry, and "starving"which also reminds me of pre-surgery thoughts .

Has anyone else felt this hungry so soon after this surgery. I have been getting my liquids in so this isn't a concern

I have been starving since day 1, but that did not prevent me from reaching goal and staying here. Hunger is not an emergency. I have to remind myself that often. When I eat a small amount of dense protein, it fills me up and stops the hunger pains.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CRS
on 5/1/18 6:47 pm

Hi. Did you feel angry when you woke up starving- I know I am. But that's not going to stop me. I mutilated my body and I'll be damned if I don't get this weight off.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/1/18 7:18 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Mutilated? Did you do the surgery yourself, with a dull pocket knife?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 5/2/18 6:09 am

No. Anger does not solve anything. I did what I needed to do to lose the weight (and keep it off) and I do not make excuses. It's the only way to be successful long-term.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views