Low carb vs Keto diet

conazza
on 6/17/18 6:52 am
RNY on 09/23/16

Hello Everyone,

I'm in maintenance now and mainly follow a low carb diet. I usually get between 100-130 grams of protein, my carbs tend to be between 30-40 and come from veggies or premier protein and my fat is usually anywhere between 35-50 grams.

Im wondering if I would do better following a more Keto diet? I find myself wanting more a lot and it's a daily struggle so I'm not sure what would be better for me. If I add carbs that are not veggies such as oatmeal, for instance, I go off the deep end and have to go CAMAW to get myself on track. I've just started working with a food addiction therapist so I'm looking forward to working on this but would love input from those of you that are so successful and may have dealt with similar issues.

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

White Dove
on 6/17/18 7:40 am - Warren, OH

Just a suggestion, but I find certain carbs do not lead me to binging. Things like cauliflower rice, spiralized zucchini noodles, roasted turnips (these are absolutely delicious), and steamed spinach will let you eat a lot without wanting to overdo carbs afterwards.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/18 4:50 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Yes I find complex carbs don't make me crave anything else. Thankfully!

califsleevin
on 6/19/18 8:10 pm, edited 6/19/18 1:10 pm - CA

Yes, one needs to keep better track of what specifically causes problems rather than painting with such a broad brush as macro counts; most real foods are more complex than simple macros suggest, and are rarely purely carbohydrates, fats or proteins, but combinations of them. This is why I never bothered keeping track of carb and fat counts. Add in junk like artificial sweeteners that behave like carbohydrates but don't count as one, and it's an exercise in futility.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Queen JB
on 6/18/18 5:09 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Last month I tried going more Keto than Low Carb, but I don't think I got the balance of fat to protein right for my body. I had a really hard time adding in more fat while keeping calories low enough to maintain. I am still playing around with it and trying to get it right, but on my small frame (4'11"), I don't have a lot of calories to play around with, so if I am going to maintain around 850 calories a day, I can't be having a 400 calorie cup of bullet proof coffee, even though it kept me super satisfied.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

califsleevin
on 6/19/18 8:17 pm - CA

Keep playing within your caloric budget to find what works best for you. The problem with the high fat/low carb type of diets like keto and paleo for us is that their clinical use is in helping people minimize weight loss and help to regain unwanted lost weight after a gastrectomy, courtesy of their high caloric density, so it's easy to get carried away calorically in a chase for satiety.

Donna L.
on 6/20/18 4:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Actually, the main reason they use ketogenic diets in medicine is for the treatment of epilepsy and has nothing to do with weight loss or gain. Typically it makes it harder to keep weight on, and one of the things they are very cautious about when treating children this way is that they tend to lose weight on the diet and it becomes problematic.

Well, at least in Chicago.

May be regional changes, as here post-gastrectomy typically you are told not to consume fat because if you have no pylorus you may experience dumping. The post-op diets for gastros I've all seen at even the major hospitals here tend to advise low fat, actually.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

califsleevin
on 6/20/18 5:43 pm - CA

Yes, epilepsy is the main medical use of the keto diets. In the gastectomy case, they need to find the right compromise between avoiding dumping and getting in the calories. so avoid the simple carbohydrates and take as much fat as can be tolerated to get the calories in; not necessarily keto levels, but definitions tend to get blurred when therapeutic diets get adopted into the fad diet world (keto is getting to be the universal term for anything low carb these days.). It is usually a struggle for quite a while until the body can tolerate more volume and fats, and as usual, individual responses.

Donna L.
on 6/21/18 11:59 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've worked with a lot of people who have gastrectomies since I do integrated health stuffage. almost always in those cases (primarily oncology and not bariatrics though most would think the reverse), at least where I am at, the carbohydrate is the cause for the dumping as "traditional" dumping is a glucose based response. I consider fat intolerance separate (but still extant, of course). Even after many patients I've never seen keto used medically to add calories. Almost always they are told to add complex slow-digestible carbohydrate instead. I've seen patients specifically told to be cautious of keto post-cancer (though there is more research for some types now) because it will suppress appetite very powerfully and then they even eat less due to already having food aversion.

The patients who are lower carb tend not to dump, though most tend to be diet-compliant and don't add fat until later, regardless. It would actually be interesting to see if there are correlates for protein composition & dumping, since I wonder if there aren't confounds too for fat intolerance? Huh, that's actually something I've not seen discussed. It'd be interesting to see of dumping incidence also correlated to location, as medical diets may sometimes be altered due to local culture. It always fascinates me to see what medical trends get adopted depending on region, too. This is a tangent however...

In my case, after my gastrectomy I experienced none of it for either of the two stomach surgeries...but of course anatomy is ever-random and sometimes seemingly capricious from the patient POV sometimes. Of course, I also have the dumb stomach that tolerates snails, beef, and not turkey, so...

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Grim_Traveller
on 6/18/18 8:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I function pretty well with a plan, such as low carb, that keeps me from eating certain things.

I have a big problem with plans that say I MUST eat certain things, the way keto does.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 429 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics