Question about ferretin

Sheila_H
on 6/20/18 7:56 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

I know this question has been asked many times but I don't seem to find the topic any more, so I apologize before hand.

From what I remember there is a certain number/range we are trying to reach or maintain for our ferretin. My one year is next week. I did my lab work, everything is in range and average. The only thing I noticed is that my ferretin from 6 months ago has gone from 76 to 72. It says the range is 25 to 250 which is a very wide range. I just want to prevent any future iron deficiencies.

I'll be meeting with the NP to go over the results next week but I wanted to check with you guys, because I had read here that we need to be our own advocates and the drs are not too concerned as long as we are in range.

Phew, sorry for the long rambling. Any advice/info is appreciated.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/18 8:26 am

Ideally I like my ferritin between 50 and 150. Unfortunately I don't absorb oral iron very well, but once my ferritin drops below 30, my doc orders infusions. Below 50 - some people can experience signs of low iron (iron deficiencies symptoms without anemia blood work markers); more than 150 - can cause iron overload and other issues.

With my iron infusions - my ferritin can get really high - but it does not stay there for me.

Some people like their ferritin as high as possible - but there is enough studies that links high iron to health issues.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

HorseGirl76
on 6/20/18 10:29 am

I'm glad you brought up a ferritin question! My ferritin was 15 for my initial lab work in February and is now 25 (May) which they said is the low end of normal. I'm starting to wonder if this will be a serious issue post surgery (the practice hasn't said anything other than to keep taking the pills). I look forward to reading the comments here about ferritin and WLS.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/18 1:05 pm

Post op - make sure you take the correct iron. Some iron can cause more constipation and gut pain./ Others are easier and better absorbed.

Some people do great with oral iron. Others - not so much.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

HorseGirl76
on 6/20/18 1:17 pm

Good to know, thanks! So far, I'm doing ok with oral iron, but as I understand from the comments here, the body's response to things can change post surgery. I will ask at my next visit.

Melissa_in_AR
on 6/20/18 10:50 am

I had surgery May 14 and just looked at all my test results and don't find a ferretin result. Is it something we should ask to be tested?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/18 1:03 pm

Yes. You need to ask them to test it at least once a year post op. More often if you see a significant drop.

I did not know that. My ferritin dropped to 10 and below before I was able to get my very first iron infusion.

Ideally - if you body absorbs oral iron - take as much as you can tolerate. IMO - oral heme or carbonyl iron are the best) . Heme iron can be taken by itself - it is suppose to be the best iron but it is $$$. Carbonyl iron needs to be taken together with acidic vit C (and at least 2 hrs away form oral calcium)

MarinaGirl
on 6/20/18 1:55 pm

I take Proferrin (heme iron); my values are great and I have no constipation or any other side effects. It is well worth the extra money to me.

Queen JB
on 6/20/18 12:25 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

My advice is not to let it drop too low, because getting it back up is a *****! Are you taking supplements every day?

Mine was at 11 and I had to overdose terribly on iron just to get it up to 29. But that raised up my total iron way too high, so I had to stop. I desperately need an infusion but no one will listen to me :(

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?