Day four of Pre-Op Diet

LindyLin
on 6/23/18 12:40 pm

Well I think I'm over the big hurdle... sugar detox. I spent two nights sweating through the sheets and freezing my butt off, and had a migraine up until this morning. Hoping the worst is over!

I am wondering if anyone else had the thought I keep having during the pre-op diet phase: Do I really need surgery if I can do this diet and lose weight so quickly? I have to remind myself that one cannot live on protein shakes alone forever.

Anyway, still nervous about July 10 (the big day) but feeling more and more ready each day.

Thanks for all your previous posts about the struggles of the pre-op diet... I think I read all of them this week!

hollykim
on 6/23/18 12:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM Pacific Time, LindyLin wrote:

Well I think I'm over the big hurdle... sugar detox. I spent two nights sweating through the sheets and freezing my butt off, and had a migraine up until this morning. Hoping the worst is over!

I am wondering if anyone else had the thought I keep having during the pre-op diet phase: Do I really need surgery if I can do this diet and lose weight so quickly? I have to remind myself that one cannot live on protein shakes alone forever.

Anyway, still nervous about July 10 (the big day) but feeling more and more ready each day.

Thanks for all your previous posts about the struggles of the pre-op diet... I think I read all of them this week!

the real issue is not whether you can lose a little pre op. . The real question is whether you can maintain the loss.

Statistics tell us that only 5% of ppl who lose weight without surgery keep it off.

Thst means 95% of those ppl who lose without surgery gain it back and more.

MJSpencer
on 6/24/18 5:42 am
VSG on 03/29/18

Yep definately had that thought. By the middle of the second week I never wanted to see another shake again. Just keep reminding yourself how many times you've lost then regained in the past.

sweetpotato1959
on 6/24/18 2:03 pm

Morbid Obesity has a genetic component. The info was published thru UT Memphi research that worked with Mom's&my surgeon in Memphis. We were part of the study. It is the genes that controls carb conversion to fats and the Pancreatic function...I do nott remeber if it was more than one gene, but Dr George Cowan was able to tell us that the genetic link was found by researchers.

So what ever you did before that did not work, to maintain your loss. Know you will have a new tool in the toolbox to assist your in your diet control. You are doing the hardest part now. Detox from sugars is horrible. After surgery, maintaining your new tool and new lifetyle will be so much easier.!!

Just make sure you get and keep all instructions re: diet carbs/protein amounts by Dr's Rx.separating fluids and food by at least 30 min, and any other rules your Drs clinic specifies.... keep a copy unmarked and all changes to your regimine. to another copy.

. Be sure to get targets from the SURGEON, what protein counts He says you need, fluid targets and calorie expectations, esp for first few weeks. With protein and liquid, but not enough calories one gets awful weak. My diet was tweaked by adding 100 calories for first day and 50 for next day...after Nutritionist visit..to find the spot where i still lost but had strength to walk. ( One day my calorie count was less than 300... on 90 gm protein and 40 oz water.)

The first few days after surgery were the hardest to get nutrition in... liquid proteins help to get no only water/liquid amounts in but protein also. My capacity was extremely small and this was hardest for me. ( 45cc pouch)

Hang in There!YOu have this.

LindyLin
on 6/24/18 2:46 pm

Thank you!

I was adopted and have very thin adoptive parents, so I think I easily forget that genes play a role. Glad to get that reminder and hear about your study. :)

MissStephy
on 6/25/18 3:22 pm
RNY on 07/03/18

I am on day 3 of my 10 day liver reduction diet. I too am nervous! I'm also very excited. My surgery is July 3. You'll do great! It's not as hard as i thought it would be. I do have a hard time getting the additional fluids in.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics