16 years post op Malabsorption and underactive thyroid (hypothyriodism) issues !! Need help

NCCindyLu
on 8/13/18 12:57 pm, edited 8/23/18 12:04 pm - Lynbrook, NY

Has anyone else had these issues ??? I could use some advice and direction PLEASE ...

Long story, but I need some help! I had the surgery at 42. I am now 58. I was a "success story" I have been able to keep most of the weight off, my lowest was 142 lbs, and I've been around 160/170 lbs for 16 plus years. Until THIS year! I was diagnosed with Hypothyriodism after seeing at least 6 doctors and after several hospital ER visits. To say I am upset is an understatement. Because of the UNDER active thyriod being misdiagnosed for 7 months I've gained 40 plus lbs. I AM MISERABLE! feel so defeated. I have gone to a nutritionist and have lost 6lbs (took almost 4 weeks), but I think my hormones and my body is such a mess I am not sure what to do.. the doctors have suggested revision surgery or diet pills, but I dont have a volume of food or a quality of food issue. I literally changed my entire way of life post op. Now, I feel like I have no control over this weight gain.. My thyriod levels are back in the normal range as of 3 weeks ago. Is it just going to take more time? Is malabsorption preventing my body from absorbing the medicine (Synthriod)?? I also have sleep issues as the RNY impacts serotonin production as well. I am a mess! If there are any doctors or post op patients that can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Update...

My Endo thinks I might have scar tissue causing obstruction as I am having spasms in the surgery area. So I am going to have that checked..

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/18 4:09 pm

I am sorry for the recent medical problems. It sounds like they have you on the right track now just slow and steady. Best of luck to you.

NCCindyLu
on 8/15/18 12:42 pm - Lynbrook, NY

Thank you very much. So defeating after years of staying on top of my health...

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/18 5:11 pm

You are on the right track now and problems identified. One day at a time and you will get the old you back. Stay positive and keep posting and reading here for support. Your not alone with regain even if it came from meds and not bad food choices.

I know a little of your problem as my niece who is now 22 went on Thyroid medicine for the opposite of your problem -- hyperthyroidism and the medicine she had to take made her gain 70 lbs. she was normal weight prior to that. She has been struggling to take the weight off. Normal weight prior to that. Last year she suffered a thyroid storm that almost killed her because she was upset about the weight gain and stopped her medicine. Not good. Very scary when that happened to her. I feel bad for her struggling to take the weight off, not easy.

Take care of yourself and day by day you are conquering this, now that on the right track. I am right there with you! Fighting to get back to a healthy normal bmi. Mine was falling off track at 7.5 years, more my fault with falling off track but same result of beating myself up dealing with a regain. Very devastating feeling. Even if not that huge in the grand scheme, as of today about 23 lbs more. Battling for a year.... high regain # was 40 and it's been lose gain lose all year. It has been a defeating feeling after being almost perfect for so many years. Only way to fix is to keep moving forward with healthy and positive changes. For you keep taking meds and finding best way to treat it which it sounds like you have! Like Holly said you can live a healthy life with this. You are losing now instead of gaining and that is great. Find what you need ... for me it is support here staying connected and most recently (2 weeks ago) Weigh****chers to help me with accountability and meeting support.

best to you,

megan

NCCindyLu
on 8/16/18 10:22 am - Lynbrook, NY

Thank you Megan!

Its very encouraging to hear that others have had this issue surface and are now OK. I am not even sure if this is a permanent issue. But I am working through this. You are so sweet to share your personal story about your niece. Thank you so much, it gives me hope that I can address this. I feel much better now.. Hugs!!

Cindy

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/18 12:09 pm

Good luck to you in finding all the answers you need.

Best

megan

peachpie
on 8/13/18 4:21 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Are you being treated for your thyroid via a pcp or endocrinologist? PCP's are not well versed IMO, they tend to treat you to get your TSH in range- without considering much else. An endo will delve a little deeper and look at values like T3, Free t3, T4 etc to get a better picture of thyroid function.

I had my thyroid totally removed 4 years ago- pre WLS. My levels were regulated before wls, and have remained so since then. I did need to drop my synthroid dosage once as I lost weight. Synthroid dosing is connected to your weight- so if your weight went up you may need a new dosage.

Hows your diet? What's your calorie intake daily? Do you still eat protein forward?

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

NCCindyLu
on 8/15/18 12:54 pm - Lynbrook, NY

I am being treated by an Endo. After going through my PCP and 3 other Endos I finally found the right doctor ( i think). Its very hard to find one that connects all the dots! He wanted to put me on diet pills and then suggested revision surgery... UGHHHHH. Thats not my issue

I eat extremely healthy in small amounts. The nutritionist says my issues is not quality or quantity its structure. So I am trying to eat 4/5 meals a day (small) its very hard to eat every two hours (my RNY doesn't digest that fast) , so she adjusted me to every 3 hours this week. I've lost almost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. THANK GOD. I am feeling very down since I had zero control over this weight gain.

I do eat protein forward, but more balanced. All of my hormones were normal as of approx 4 weeks ago. So many people said OH ...it will just fall off once your thyriod levels normalize...Not happening. I think the malabsorption is not helping.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/15/18 2:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I hate when people talk about weight falling off. It may happen for some people that way, but for almost everyone, it's work.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NCCindyLu
on 8/15/18 2:36 pm - Lynbrook, NY

I totally agree! After losing almost 190+ lbs. that I did the right way.. changed my life entirely, its so upsetting to have gone through this and not being able to control the weight gain

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 195 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?