LouLou4’s Posts

LouLou4
on 2/29/12 4:37 pm, edited 2/29/12 4:38 pm
Topic: RE: goal weight?
I've not discussed numbers with my surgeon yet but he classes you as being successful if you lose 70-80% of your excess weight

I'm trying to focus more on being healthy than a particular number. I would like to weigh less than my partner but he's into body building and can fluctuate between 13 and 15 stone in any given month

I'm quite a large frame and have a bust and hips. If I can get below 200lbs and be able to run a 10k (my non-scale goal) i'll be ecstatic

Ultimately I believe that your body knows what size it is supposed to be so will try not to stress too much if I never get to what is classed as normal for my height
LouLou4
on 2/29/12 4:28 pm
Topic: RE: New Here! Looking for Advice :)
Hi Sabrina

It sounds like you've had a tough year, fingers crossed things start perking up for you.

Like Dori and Robert I cannot stress how important it is to do your research and look into all of your options. I chose RYN for various reasons but what works for one won't work for all

I have a folder that I keep all of my print outs in;

The surgery itself
Side effects of surgery
Post op diet
Research on my surgeon
Questions I need to raise next time I see him
Things I need to do prior to surgery and what I need when I go in
Recipes

I'm a bit OCD but having all my research on hand when I need it is a godsend. Whenever I start worrying or stressing over something I can go back to my folder and re-read everything and it puts my mind at ease
LouLou4
on 2/29/12 4:24 pm
Topic: RE: 3 months out, down 115 pounds!
Wow you look amazing! Congratulations on such a wonderful loss in such a short space of time. I bed you feel sooooo much better
LouLou4
on 2/29/12 4:22 pm
Topic: RE: Ladies: 3-month pill not stopping monthly period?
My Doctor told me that I'd have to stop taking the pill after surgery as it doesn't seem to be as effective any more and quite a few people tend to get pregnant within the first year so i'm switching to the implant next week

I've been taking the pill continuously for the past year and prior to that I had the implant for 3 years and in all that time i've not had my TOM so i'm really dreading surgery knocking that out of whack

Hope you sort something out soon
LouLou4
on 2/29/12 4:13 pm
Topic: RE: feeling anxious
Hi there :)

I'm at work at the mo and if my surgeon rang me right now and offered to do my surgery today i'd be in the car faster than you can say "why's there a lou sized hold in the door?"

Just keeping thinking it's only 20 days. 20 days! I'm soooo excited for you!

I've been going to the gym for the past year and whilst it hasn't really helped with the weight loss I do feel fitter. I try and do 4/5 times a week - body combat class, thighs tums and bums, an hour on the cross trainer etc and when I had my fitness test the Doctor was amazed at my results. Even a minimum amount of cardio exercise if you are normally sedentary will make a huuuuge difference to how well your heart and lungs work which will help your surgery go more smoothly

So, try and get as much exercise in as possible and if you're going to do the liquid diet for the next 20 days make sure you get shakes with lots of protein as i've heard this will also help you recover quicker from surgery

Good luck!
LouLou4
on 2/29/12 4:00 pm
Topic: RE: What if I die?

Thank you all so much for your replies. Because I don't have co-morbidities at the moment it helps me put things into perspective when people remind me about the life threatening illnesses I will almost undoubtedly have to contend with in the not too distant future

I'm so looking forward to dropping this weight and being healthy. I can't imagine what it will be like not carrying around an extra person every day!

Nurse Jean - I love reading replies from people in the health care profession and who are having RYN, I suppose you see the good and bad of all surgeries and if you're willing to take the leap then i'm right there with you. PM me and we can be surgery buddies :)

Once again, thank  you all for taking the time to reply x

LouLou4
on 2/29/12 12:12 am
Topic: RE: Waiting
I am right there with you!

I first approached my GP beginning of August 2011. He took one look at my weight and automatically referred me to the surgeon. Went to a consultation with his nurse beginning of September. Had my gastroscopy, glucose testing, fitness test, lung function test and overnight oxygen tests during September and October and saw the surgeon 10th November. He cleared me for surgery and said I should be sheduled within 3-4 months. He doesn't operate during January due to bad weather (two days of snow this year, go figure!) so he's about a month behind. Should be hearing some time soon when my date will be.

This has been the longest 3 months of my life!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope things start progressing quickly :D
LouLou4
on 2/28/12 10:49 pm
Topic: RE: my husband thinks im wierd
Hiya Sarah

Congratulations on your journey so far!

I'm pre-op so haven't dealt with this yet. Me and my partner like to have a Sunday afternoon nap, we don't get a lot of time together working long hours and he only stops over on a weekend so this is kind of our snuggling time

Anyhow, he's terried that i'm going to change after the op and I think it is a valid fear. Our partner's have been used to us looking and acting a specific way for so long when things start to change they might not know how to deal with the new us.

I'd sit him down and explain how even if things change, it (hopefully) won't change the way you feel about him and if possible try to find new ways for you both to have this time together
LouLou4
on 2/28/12 10:42 pm
Thank you all for your quick replies and your warm welcome!

I'm generally a logical person and everything you say makes sense. I'm a 100% set on the surgery... it's late at night that thought start niggling their way into my head and I start panicking

Two of the girls that I work with have had the band fitted and my grandfather had the RYN about ten years ago. Our tabloid newspapers over here like to pick up on the horror stories but logically I know the mortality rate is low and I have more chance of dying a slow death from my weight

JC - the NHS will pay for the surgery if you have a BMI of at least 35 or co-morbidities. Britain's finally starting to wake up to what an epidemic obesity is

My partner is sick of me moaning that I just want to get it over and done with and get on with the start of my new life, it's the wait that's killing me!
LouLou4
on 2/28/12 9:53 pm
Hi all

First post here. Long time lurker. First of all I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the help and advice given so far to other posters, your kindness blows me away.

Sorry if this is a bit long and rambly.....

Bit of background knowledge. I'm 25 and the eldest of 6 girls. I've effectively helped raise my little sisters for the good part of 15 years so am very protective of them and my mum. Our entire family has issues with food and despite being quite active for a fatty I cannot control my eating.

Started looking into WLS last summer and am scheduled for RYN towards end of April/beginning of May. The surgery itself does not scare me. Despite being 406lbs I have no co-morbidities (but it's pretty much guaranteed I can''t doge that bullet forever, hence the surgery) and think the biggest risk will probably be the anaesthetic.

I've never had an operation before. Never been seriously ill. Never broken a bone (touch wood!) but i'm really starting to worry that this op will kill me.

I don't believe in God and heaven and think if I do die that'll be that. What scares me the most is leaving my sisters and mum behind. We'll had a lot of family problems these past 3 years (one sister is sectioned due to mental health issues, one on the verge of alcoholism....) and I think if I die my mum won't be able to cope. Who will be there to help look after the little ones? Who will talk my sister down when she's feeling suicidal? Who will keep the family together?

I know I need this op to prevent dying young from the effects of obesity and I know I cannot do this on my own but how do you reconcile with yourself that if you die you're going to mess up lots of other people's lives?
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 344 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?