AmandaAnn’s Posts

AmandaAnn
on 5/19/17 7:18 pm
Topic: RE: Calories, Carbs & RNY - help long timers!

I knew I could count on you-all. I don't go bac****il September. I'll keep doing my Keto and just smile and nod!

????

RNY on 11/14/2016 -- Miami Valley Hospital, Dr. Siddiqui HW: 302 -- SW: 295 -- CW: 209 -- GW: 145

AmandaAnn
on 5/19/17 7:12 pm

I'm never hungry. And if I feel hungry, I know I need to drink more.

RNY on 11/14/2016 -- Miami Valley Hospital, Dr. Siddiqui HW: 302 -- SW: 295 -- CW: 209 -- GW: 145

AmandaAnn
on 5/19/17 9:15 am

Hey Ya'll:

I had my six month follow-up appointment yesterday. I'm down 93 pounds since surgery - woot woot.

Anyway, I'm super frustrated with the nutritionist/dietician they have. She said, "you're sabotaging your success by not eating at least 30 carbs per meal, snacking, and hitting 1,200 calories per day." Her ideas of snacks to get up to 1200 calories a day was a sweet potato or baked potato, cheeses, yogurts, etc.

Number One: I have diabetes - when I eat over 20 carbs per day; my numbers suck. They're stupid guidelines are what keep people diabetic.
Number Two: 1,200 calories a day?!?! After RNY? I'm six months! I feel blessed that I get 800 to 1000 calories per day. (daily average is about 800). Maybe that seems appropriate guidelines for later down the road; but, I remember a class where they cautioned against eating all the time. This quack would have me eating 6 times a day. If you're following the 30/30/30 rule then there's very little time to hit liquid goals if you're always stuffing your face.
Number Three: I do hit my protein goals most days, getting 60 to 80 - using protein drinks.

I feel like if I follow their dated guidelines my diabetes numbers will suffer and I'll gain weight. I think 93 pounds in six months is phenomenal but she said I should have lost more!

Will you-all please chime in on your thoughts?

AmandaAnn
on 5/8/17 11:46 am
Topic: RE: extreme complication five months post op

Just following back up. I started on Carafate and Prilosec on April 18. As of the other day all stomach pains and twangs are gone. I follow-up again this Friday. Thankfully I don't have any symptoms of an ulcer now. I've cut back on the coffee -- so sad -- and am trying to ge****er - I just really hate it. LOL

AmandaAnn
on 4/18/17 9:04 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Tuesday Menu, RNYers?t

No Easter candy was had; but, OH! How those Reese Eggs call to me! I did have ONE bite of yellow cake with chocolate icing at my Mom's... OMG it was so good.

QOTD: I'd want to be a successful female business owner for a day. I want to know how their mind works so that when I switch back to being me, I'd have the knowledge to make it happen in my own life.

Food/Menu -- I have zero clue. I'm failing on the foods, failing on the vitamins, failing on the liquids -- I'm just failing all the way around.

B: Coffee with cream - sipping on it all morning (12 ounces)

S: Zucchini blueberry muffin

L: Fage full fat yogurt with fresh strawberries sprinkled with strawberry protein powder

S: Nectar Caramel Macchiato protein drink

D: Ground beef with 1T carrot and 1T celery

TOTALS: Protein 86/Carbs 41/Fat 45/Calories 908

-------------------------------------

Exercise: Nope. It's not needed for weight loss -- and I'm just lazy.

Liquid: I get about 40 per day

Vitamins: When I remember - 1 Bariatric advantage in the AM, 1 Calcium in the PM; 1 sugarbearhair

AmandaAnn
on 4/18/17 8:28 am

Happy Anniversary!

Whatchya knitting? I took up knitting and I LOVE it so much - it's hard to think about food when I'm concentrating on the pattern. LOL

AmandaAnn
on 4/18/17 8:22 am

Congratulations on the lowest weight ever!!! That has to feel AMAZING!

AmandaAnn
on 4/18/17 8:14 am
Topic: RE: Nosey People & Coworkers

I'm 5 months post-op. I told my boss and my HR contact and swore them to secrecy until I was ready to share what I had done. I'm the person at work that organizes all the catering and carry-ins. I only missed 5 days of work and came back the week of Thanksgiving. There was food EVERYWHERE and I was on full liquids. I got a small plate of food at the office carry-in and pretty much just moved the food around on my plate so I would blend in.

I made the decision that the first person to notice I'd lost weight would be the ice-breaker. So I waited - it was 3 weeks after surgery and I walked into a meeting with 15 people. Someone said, "Hey, you're losing weight!" I smiled and said, "Yes, I'm down 30 pounds, thank you for noticing." Then another person said, "You need to share your secret to success." So I smiled and said, "I had my guts rearranged by doing the Gastric Bypass weight loss surgery." Every single person has been more than supportive.

The way I positively presented it, there was no cause for anyone to believe that it was fodder for Gossip.

AmandaAnn
on 4/18/17 7:56 am

I take Zantac before bed, not for reflux; but, because it helps control my life-threatening food allergies. I started taking Prilosec in the morning.

AmandaAnn
on 4/17/17 5:48 am

Holy Moly! I've been having pain under my right ribcage for about a month. Mentioned it to my surgeon and they said if it ever got worse to go to the ER. It did. I went to the ER with the worst pain I've ever had in my life. As they were checking me in, the pain instantly was gone (believing God healed whatever it was). It's been gone for a while; but, that naggy pain under my ribcage is back. I only drink coffee all day long. It's the only way I get my fluids. I'm going to call my surgeon as soon as they open.

AmandaAnn
on 3/1/17 12:03 pm
Topic: RE: What's on your menu today ( Wednesday) RNYers?

Hey Ya'll:

So glad the temperatures are still mild - but - I know it's just a tease, winter will return again.

QOTD: my iPhone - not for personal use; but, it's the fastest way for bosses and family to reach me - I'm not always at my desk and take the phone to various meetings.

Challenges:  My surgeon's assistant wants me to adopt a ketogenic lifestyle. at 5'4" my goals are: at least 94 grams of protein/ 23 net carbs/ 70 to 84 fat grams  -- I was just reading that in order for the body to process protein efficiently, one must consume at least 30 grams at a time.  Boy oh Boy is that a challenge with the itty bitty tummy!!

Menu today:

Breakfast: Nectar Protein Coffee
Snack: Coffee with half and half
Lunch: Ham, Bacon, Provolone with a little lettuce; topped with mayo, oil & vinegar
Snack: Jay Robb Protein Shake
Dinner: Hobo Stew
The past couple days I'm failing on my liquids.

Challenges: understanding the keto stuff and trying to implement it when I really, really, really do not ever want to eat.

AmandaAnn
on 1/9/17 11:30 am
Topic: RE: Burping like crazy!

I'm 8 weeks out and burp like a sailor (not to disparage sailors); but, no matter what I eat or drink, I get the worst burps ever. I did find some improvement by realizing I was swallowing air with my liquids and food. I also have bad sinuses and that causes me to swallow more than usual too.  So becoming aware of those things, it was "less" but still horrible.

Two weeks ago my surgeon put me on Prilosec once a day. I'm very glad to say, I don't have the burps like that anymore. I still burp; but, not from my toes like Homer Simpson after a beer.

So try minimizing how much air you swallow and if that doesn't help, talk to your doctor.

AmandaAnn
on 1/9/17 9:33 am
Topic: RE: I'm lost...

8 weeks post op - diet is regular

From my NUT: Get 60 to 80 grams of protein per day and 48 to 64 ounces of liquids. Do not eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes or sugar. With a smile and a "Just do your best." That's the end of the advice and direction.

I lost 40pounds in the first six weeks. Since then, I've gained 3 pounds.

I don't understand at all. What's "just do your best"  I don't understand not losing weight when consuming 600 calories a day and supposedly with RNY you're in a 30% malabsorption state.  I'm not too concerned about the weight gain - I lost so much so fast - I figure my body is still adjusting.

Some foods: Chili, Soup, Beans, Taco meat - I can eat a 3/4 cup and feel great... is it too much? IDK, it doesn't feel like too much.

Other foods: chicken, ham, eggs, tuna - I take a few bites and the cramps are horrible so I don't eat much.

SO -- those of you that are and have been successful -- what have been your macros?  Protein counts; Carb counts; Calorie counts; Fat count?

What foods do you totally 100% avoid?

Dumping: I haven't pushed the limits so I don't think I've done anything to cause dumping - I've never thrown up either (thank God); but, what causes dumping?

I feel great - truly - tons of energy and clear headed.  I just need some REAL honest to goodness direction!

Thank you everyone,

Amanda

AmandaAnn
on 12/21/16 11:20 am
Topic: RE: Instant Pot on sale for $79.99

I have a 10 quart one and hubby lost the little pop-up steam plug. I cannot find anyone that just sells that part! Very frustrating. I miss doing my meals and canning in it.

AmandaAnn
on 12/21/16 11:15 am
Topic: RE: Iv nutrition:(

Walmart has the chicken both broth too if your MIL can't get to Costco for you.

AmandaAnn
on 12/21/16 11:14 am
Topic: RE: Iv nutrition:(

I'm 5 weeks out. I've had IV fluids and vitamins two times now, just yesterday was the last round.

Apparently I'm a slow learner. While sitting there they brought me a bottle of water and a nice hot cup of coffee. Well, guess what, room temperature or cold water gives me terrible pain, cramping and nausea. The hot/warm coffee make my little tummy feel good without any side effects.

So, today, I've only had warm beverages (water, coffee, tea) and I'm doing better -- still behind -- I've had 20 ounces so far without any pain, etc.

OH and the vitamins with the IV fluid is to help the body absorb the fluid better. I gotta say the B12 has given me some energy.

And don't be discouraged, I was angry at the responses of some towards you too. People can offer advice with compassion and that wasn't extended to you. I don't know why some long time RNYers are so angry... maybe they need a hamburger or something! (it's a joke people).

Thankfully I have not vomited once since surgery - pray I don't - but I certainly understand the inability to get all the fluids and proteins in!!

Hang in there, they keep saying it will get better, we just gotta believe it will!

AmandaAnn
on 12/21/16 10:38 am
Topic: RE: Tips for Flying while on Soft/Mushy/Protein Drink stage

You-all are wonderful.  Thank you so much for taking the anxiety out of this!

Now, if they could only come out with a salty crunchy protein pretzel that I could dip in yellow mustard!! I may have to invent that!

AmandaAnn
on 12/21/16 10:35 am

Love your link... thank you.

I've ordered a bunch of Nectar sample packs (haven't tried those yet; but, if I'm on an adventure, I might as well be adventurous).

We're staying with my Uncle so at least that part is easy!

I've been having wonderful results with my chili and eating a chopped steak or hamburger while out. the other night I had a piece of hubby's chicken quesadilla and oh my, it was wonderful with some salsa on it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and link to your page - it's wonderful.

AmandaAnn
on 12/16/16 12:31 pm

My son and I are flying on Christmas day to Florida for a quick get away and to watch my son from another mother play in the St. Petersburg football Bowl game.  With flying restrictions on liquids and powder -- what are ya'll suggestions for how I take care of myself.  6 hours in either airports or flying -- I can't ignore my protein needs during that time.  I'm open to suggestions and ideas!

AmandaAnn
on 12/16/16 12:17 pm
Topic: RE: How to handle job interview that includes lunch?

Looking forward to how it went today!  I'm late in replying. We have luncheons around here all the time. The last one they brought in pizza. A lot of people don't eat the crust. So I scraped the toppings off, without making a big deal, I picked off the veggies (not cooked enough for the soft/mushy phase) and slowly enjoyed the toppings from two slices.  Nobody made comment or notice.  Another time they served Lasagna. I picked around it and moved it around the plate so it looked like I had eaten some -- to have left it as a big square on the plate would have been weird/rude. 

I hope it went well for you!!!

AmandaAnn
on 12/12/16 1:24 pm
Topic: RE: What's on your menu today (Monday) RNYers?

4 week post op a little bit ago. I'm down 34 pounds since surgery and 41 pounds from pre-op diet.

I'm still on the soft mushy food stage. I explained my distaste of the protein powders. She gave me the go-ahead to eat meats/proteins six times a day.  I'm still to avoid all things raw, rice, bread and pasta. I didn't know I could have - in their own juices - peaches or pears. I love pears.

Anyway, today's meal plan:

Breakfast: protein drink

Snack: string cheese

Lunch: Tuna Salad -- from Whole Foods 3 ounces has 25 protein and 1.5 carbs

Snack: Protein drink

Dinner: 3 ounces chicken with a mushroom sauce

Vitamins: Flintstone AM/PM; Calcium 500 three times a day

Liquids: Struggling big time

Exercise: Not yet

AmandaAnn
on 12/8/16 11:42 am
Topic: RE: What's on your menu today (Thursday) RNYers?

Then maybe I need to listen to my body and stick with the protein drinks for now and little nibbles of protein for meals. I keep feeling like "I'm supposed to eat 4 times a day because the paperwork says to." 

Thank you so much for your insight!!

AmandaAnn
on 12/8/16 11:07 am

Work gifts. No need to purchase gifts. Maybe bake and gift each person a few baked goods in a cute little box or bag. That way you're not out a lot of money and each person knows you thought of them. Keep it simple.

AmandaAnn
on 12/8/16 11:03 am

Wheat Crackers are on the approved list of foods from my surgeon, along with rice, toast, oatmeal, cream of wheat, corn flakes, Wheaties, rice crispies with skim milk -- all kinds of foods that I never ate when doing a low-carb diet.

The being numb makes sense. Really I don't know why I'm eating at all other than we're told to. I'd much rather just drink protein all the time.  I have zero hunger -- which I guess is why they say to get the protein drinks all day long.

AmandaAnn
on 12/8/16 9:54 am

Good Afternoon Ya'll:

I didn't plan very well.  I'm actually a little worried.  I don't know how much my pouch is supposed to be able to hold at this point 3.5 weeks post op.  I was told soft mushy foods -- if tolerating proteins well, I could add a few wheat crackers. So last night I purchased one of the chicken salad snack kits. I was able to eat the entire thing over 30 minutes without any ill effect. That was 5 crackers and 3 ounces of the chicken salad.  Anyway, just confused on the size of my pouch or the lack of feeling when I may be full.

QOTD: Random? I'm a freaky fast typist - over 125 words per minute without error (in a timed test from written words) I can't begin to know my speed when typing from someone simply talking - I probably surpass 150 wpm. So I'm called upon daily to sit in meetings and type notes while the meeting is going on then send the notes to everyone at the end of the meeting... it's kinda fun.

B: scrambled egg with a few sprinkles of low-fat cheddar

S: BA Caramel Latte protein drink mixed into decaf coffee

L: 3 ounces baked chicken tenders

S: BA Caramel Latte protein drink mixed into ho****er

D: I'm going to make a huge batch of chicken & mushrooms with rice

Have a great day!  BTW, I really do love this forum!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views