AmandaB9780’s Posts

AmandaB9780
on 3/18/17 12:26 pm
Topic: RE: Diarrhea 1 week post-RNY?

Oh, I'm not necessarily worried about having an accident at work. I never trust a fart at this point! ? It's more the cramps that precede it - they're horrible!

AmandaB9780
on 3/17/17 12:23 pm

Being home makes it not a big deal. However, I was planning on trying to go back next week (2-weeks post-op) and this is making me reconsider.

AmandaB9780
on 3/17/17 12:21 pm

I just started the purée stage on Wednesday. That's a good point about the liquids in, liquids out. The cramps can be painful but it seems to be getting better.

AmandaB9780
on 3/16/17 4:59 pm

im 9 days post-op and in the last couple of days I can't seem to eat or drink anything without having to run to the restroom. Is this normal? More importantly, does it end and when?

AmandaB9780
on 3/16/17 4:53 pm
Topic: RE: Diarrhea
  1. I'm 9 days post op and every time I eat or drink something, I end up with diarrhea. I absolutely do not trust farts now! When did it end for you guys? I know this post is 4 years old, but it's the most recent one so I'm crossing my fingers for a response.
AmandaB9780
on 2/28/17 6:28 am
Topic: RE: Mind/Body Preparing Itself?

You know what, I think if I'm being totally honest, I'd have to agree and say that portion control has been an issue for me. My husband is an amazing cook and I would take anything that he's cooking over going out to eat, any day. As soon as I read "portion control" in your response, it was like I could hear him just the other day explaining to my daughter that "Mom love my cooking! In fact, I think she'd take my home cooking over anything your could order out." He's absolutely and completely not trying to blame my amazing hubs here, but I can never get enough of his cooking. Wow, there's something that I've never realized before. 

The time will seem to drag, but it will actually fly! I'm less than a week away and also coming up on the year mark from when I first met my surgeon. 

I'm right there with you with texture issues! My big triggers are fruit skins. I think I can handle oatmeal because it's something I've eaten since I was a kid. What I prefer over oatmeal though is Cream of Wheat. I absolutely love the stuff! It's less "texturey" than oatmeal and tastes yummy, especially when you add some fruit or cinnamon. Quick Oats do seems to have a somewhat different texture than the regular ones. 

AmandaB9780
on 2/24/17 7:51 am

Oh, I'm very at peace with saying goodbye to whatever I need to say goodbye to. There are certain things that I just have a feeling that I will NEVER be eating again, so it's been like a nice farewell party. The funny thing about me having surgery isn't really that I ever had a huge issue with food. I had no trouble staying away from certain foods. There were some that were a little harder. My problem started when I developed first Psoriatic Arthritis and then Osteoarthritis in my spine. That stopped me from being able to exercise and actually stopped me from doing a lot of everyday things (sweeping, vacuuming, laundry, dishes, etc.) It made it impossible to sit or stand for long periods of time. So I'm not worried about "going cold turkey" with eating less, but I am aware that there are some things that I simply won't ever eat again. Not the end of the world though. ;-)

I think it's great that you're doing everything that you're doing, because you're right, for a lot of people it will feel like going cold-turkey, I'm sure. I know a couple who have taken this journey only to keep doing what they were doing and basically ended up pretty close to where they started. So again, every step that you're taking is definitely worth while. 

Where in the process are you? I know every program and insurance requirements are different...

AmandaB9780
on 2/23/17 5:14 am

Food Funerals! That's awesome!

I am just now recovering from the flu, but the taste thing started like a month ago. So maybe it was because the flu virus was already in me and I just didn't know it. I do kind of consider it good mental preparedness. 

AmandaB9780
on 2/23/17 5:11 am

I was thinking about steak yesterday. My husband makes the best steak so I'm thinking that rain or shine, he will be grilling Sunday as I start my OptiFast on Monday. A friend's daughter had RNY and she said the same thing, she hasn't been able to eat steak post-op (without trouble at least) and I think her surgery was years ago. 

AmandaB9780
on 2/23/17 5:09 am

Congrats on your surgery date! I will think of you that day as I'm going in myself!

That's exactly how it's been! NOTHING sounds appealing, even before eating it. The only logical reason I can come up with (and I quite literally just came up with it) is that because I have a hiatal hernia and everything I eat ends up trying to come back up, that my body has lost it's appetite for eating period. Because truth be told, I haven't been that hungry.

I'm not complaining, well, maybe a little - really wanted to actually enjoy some of these things, but that's not really happening. I will however use it to my advantage!

Yeah, really NOT looking forward to kicking my coffee habit. My grocery store just remodeled and added a Starbucks, so it would've been like going to Target, but for things that my household actually needs. lol. 

AmandaB9780
on 2/22/17 2:01 pm

So I'm curious if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar... hoping so, otherwise, I'm plum crazy!

For the last few weeks or so, I've been kind of saying goodbye to some foods/restaurants that I have a feeling I won't be seeing much of post-op (P.F. Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden, my husband's spaghetti, chop suey, sweet & sour chicken, etc.) I'm not over indulging by any means. I've always been one to immediately box half my meal before starting or set it off to the side in order to do so. The problem is, most everything tastes "funny" - like I've got a cold or something. I haven't had coffee in a week because every cup I make tastes like smoke or dirt. I'm not doing anything different to it either.

So has anyone else ever experienced something like this? Where you mind, in an effort to prepare you, seems to change the way EVERYTHING tastes?

Or am I just crazy?

AmandaB9780
on 2/20/17 5:41 am
Topic: RE: I have my Surgery date! Need some Encouragement and advice.

Tomorrow is your big day!!! I will say a prayer for you that everything goes smoothly and that you have a swift recovery. I'm so happy for you!

AmandaB9780
on 2/14/17 7:51 am
On February 13, 2017 at 9:43 PM Pacific Time, Kathy S. wrote:

Hi bellen78,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

Best advice, take it one day at a time, don't stock up on a ton of stuff/food before hand as your taste will change and most importantly "make sure you have it right between your ears before re-arranging your plumbing".  

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

I didn't even think about tastes changing. What about popcicles and stuff for the "clear" days - did you stock on any of those?

AmandaB9780
on 2/14/17 7:47 am

Congratulations on your surgery next week! I can imagine how excited and nervous you are because I'm right there with you. My surgery date is March 7 and I feel the exact same way. 

I obviously haven't had WLS yet, but I have had a c-section so I'm very familiar with the recovery. My first suggestion is to get moving as soon as you can and as often as you can without over-doing it. That seemed to help a ton with my recovery! It will get easier and easier, quicker and quicker. I just had my Pre-Op Education Class yesterday and made sure that the same rule applied to this surgery and it was confirmed. 

I would maybe do some of your Post-Op shopping (clears) that way it's there when you get home and you don't have to worry about sending someone to the store.

Other than that, just imagine 3 months from now and that should help ease your nerves a bit. :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404