Revision needed

Joyce65
on 4/8/08 1:44 am - Clovis, CA
Hello, Well I recently found out that my band has slipped.  My band was placed in September of 2006 and for about a year I had no problems even though I was losing slower than I hoped (but slow is better than gaining any day:-) I have recently moved and have a new bariatric doctor who I like very much based on my initial consult with him.  Is there anyone else who had a band slippage?  What revision did you choose? My doctor mentioned that due to possible scare tissues (that he won't fullky know until he goes in) replacing the band may be difficult.  I have also heard on this board and other places that if a band slipps once, it is more likely to slip again. If you went from a band to the bypass, how was the transition and what can I expect?
"When the POWER of LOVE is greater than the love of power,
then the world will have peace"
1st surgery/2nd surgery/current/goal     
245/228/194/175
October 19, 2008 Nike Women's Half Marathon *completed*
November 9, 2008 Trail of Two Cities Half Marathon *completed*
May 2, 2009 End of Trail Half Marathon *completed*
May 31, 2009 San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon *completed*
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 4/8/08 9:04 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hi < I am sorry you have a slipped band.  I have a leak in my band. I have opted for a conversion. My first 18 months with the band were great. The next 18 months I had fill and unfill, reflux, etc.  When I found my band/tubing/port was empty I really felt it was  sign from god for I couldn't get my fill level right.  I am awaiting insurance change(this month) and then I will be a converter! Good luck in whatever decision you choose. Joan
Joyce65
on 4/8/08 9:22 am - Clovis, CA
What are you converting to?
245/228/194/175
Ms TJ P.
on 4/8/08 10:03 am - VA
I really feel your pain, I plan to go for RNY if I can get approval from the insurance. 
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 4/8/08 10:28 am - 128 Belt, MA
I will be converting to a RNY.
Joyce65
on 4/9/08 6:17 am - Clovis, CA
I am very torn at the moment.  I initially told my doctor that my preference was to gave the band repaired or replaced but if that was not an option due to scaring, then i would have the rny.  As I read on this board and the lapband board, the liklihood of the band slipping again increases when you have already had one slip (something about scar tissue).  When I have the revision surgery I don't want to have to go through this again but I also want to be healthy.  What kind of information have you gotten on a switch from the band to rny?  I think that I need to really research this a bit more (I had done extensive research on the band and not as much on the rny). Thanks and all the best with your revision.
245/228/194/175
slfam
on 4/9/08 3:07 pm - WI
I was recently approved to switch from the band to the RNY. I was good the first year - like you, losing slow but steady. But then fill, unfill, fill, unfill... for 2 years. I had a lot of heartburn, GERD, and I never seemed to be able to get back to even a near-sweet-spot without my body swelling up tight. Finally my band slipped. I was so tired of fighting my band that I just decided I want it out. I will be having the RNY next month. I admit I am scared. I knew I wanted the band so I wouldn't have to deal with malabsorption, replumbing my insides, etc... But I suppose now I want to be thin and healthy even more. I truly don't think the band will ever work for me - it was almost like my body was rejecting it when I got to a good fill level. So I am willing to deal with whatever the RNY throws at me. Hopefully it will only be good stuff. I just still feel like I have so much to learn and it WILL be a big adjustment after being banded for three years. I do have to say that I would have considered the sleeve but my insurance won't cover it. Best wishes in your decision making...
Joyce65
on 4/10/08 5:13 am - Clovis, CA
Wow, you situtations sound very similar.  I too want to be healthy and thinner.  I am waiting to hear what the insurance has to say.  My doctor seems to think that it should not be a problem but I am not sure I have that much faith in insurance companies but I guess I just need to think positive.   I have pretty much given my doctor a "blank check".  I told him that my preference is to have my band but if it is a "safer" procedure and has better long term effects with regard to future slippage (mostly due to scar tissue issues) then I will have the rny.  If the insurance company goes for this, I won't actually know until I wake up.  That is a little scary but it is exciting as well because it feels like something else to look forward to:-) If you are O.K. with it, I would love to hear how everything goes.
245/228/194/175
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/08 4:45 pm - AZ
My band hasn't slipped but I've had just about everything else go wrong. I'm switching to a sleeve.  It makes more sense to me.  I think I am a person that would fail bypass.  I am certainly the one that would regain my weight back so for me I think a sleeve is a better option. When you have a band there is scar tissue that forms on the outside of the band to hold it in place.  The sutures that are placed during surgery are not what hold the band in place long term, it's the scarring. If you have had a slip the scarring may have ripped and it will have to form again to secure the band in place.  Adhesions/scarring don't really form with the same quality twice.  If your band is repositioned the scarring will have to form again, it will not likely be the same quality as the first time.
MARCIAM
on 4/10/08 6:26 am - Sayville, NY
I was banded on 1/23/06. Everything went great for the first year. The second year I only lost 20 pounds even following all the rules. I haven't lost even one pound in over 6 months. I also have been having constant reflux! My PCP thinks that the band has done all it is going to do for me. My surgeon recommends a revision to RNY and I am going for all the clearances. I don't want to live my life with constant reflux! I've already been to the pulmonologist, psychologist and gastroentorologist. Tomorrow I go to the cardiologist and next week back to the surgeon. I also have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled for Monday and an endoscopy on May 5th. I don't know what tests the cardiologist will want other than a cardiogram. I still don't know if I have a slip. I just hope that the insurance company will approve my revision. I hope that everything goes well for you.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Most Active
Recent Topics