Removed my band!,,

o10coa
on 11/16/14 8:38 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I have removed my band.  I got depressed that since 2007 and never reached my goal.   From 250 down to 193.   Running for half marathon lost weight to 172 but we extreme hard work it seem that I was doing all the work and in fact the band was on my way.  I had heavy hard burn every time I got a refill.   Im going to try do it on my own for 6 months then may consider the vsg. I'm 45 5'6" current weight 203.   Any one having same issues?  Sometimes I feel like they experiment on us while making money cause when I told my dr about my frustration, he told me that a lot of people are switching to VSG, but what If that doesn't work .   I'm so scare that my weight won't stop creeping up ....help

Chilipepper
on 11/16/14 9:56 am

Why would you go from one restriction only procedure to another. It's like fool me once, fool me twice.  I wouldn't jump back on the table for the same kind of surgery.  Research the Rny or DS.  If you suffer from GERD I would go for the RNY.  I wouldnt let a surgeon talk me into a VSG after a failed band. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

wendyss
on 11/16/14 10:49 am

I guess it depends on why you were not successful with your band in the first place.  I had a band, removed it and now have a sleeve.  I have lost 66 lbs in  5 months and  am very happy with my sleeve. It is so much easier with the sleeve.    I am a little bit scared of what  will happen years form now with just my sleeve but for now I am happy with my results. I was just not ready for something else. 

VSG  2014  with Dr Gilberto Ungson (after failed lap band) 

Hislady
on 11/17/14 5:57 am - Vancouver, WA

The band is a failure for at least 60% of people with them and it depends entirely on why it failed. Most of us followed the rules and used it the way we were told to, it is simply a faulty tool. Did they check to see if you had a hiatal hernia causing your heartburn? If that is the cause it can be repaired and a sleeve could work fine for you. I know literally hundreds of people who have revised to the sleeve from band and done wonderfully with them. It was the band that didn't work, not them. If you are having problems with depression you should should address that with your primary doc and maybe get on medication for it, if it is an ongoing issue.

If the heartburn isn't caused by a hernia then RNY might be the better choice because the sleeve can cause heartburn and GERD. So it would be best to determine what is causing the heartburn and also do a motility test to see how well your esophagus is working because the band also does terrible damage to the esophagus. Goods luck to you but don't let them experiment with your health!

Most Active
Recent Topics