Please help!Meeting with surgeon today to discuss lap band removal and revision

newgigi2006
on 11/28/14 1:36 am - CA

Ok so I have my appointment today with a surgeon at Kaiser to discuss band removal and revision, My current surgeon says I failed the band and no possibility of revision, says if I cant succeed with one surgery that I wont with another. I have definitely decided to remove this "thing" from my body after 8 years of trying everything to lose weight, vomiting, port pain, shingles, reflux at night, autoimmune disease.( not sure if I had before band since they never tested for that or if it was caused due to band). Today I meet with the head surgeon to discuss removal and try to get approval of a revision to bypass. Please give me advice on possible dialog. I am so nervous I feel like I am fighting for my life

Hislady
on 11/28/14 5:52 am - Vancouver, WA

I would focus on the vomiting and reflux at night because those are sure fire reasons for removal. The others are ones that we know are caused by the band but most docs don't buy some of these. The vomiting and reflux tho are very serious and can cause alot of damage. If your band isn't empty get it empty to help slow the damage for now while you wait for a new surgery. Does your insurance cover unbanding and revision, that is the biggest question. You might point out that recent studies show that only 25% of banded people lose to their goal weight and that the failure rate is higher for the band than with any other surgery type. Best of luck to you, I hope you succeed but if not, keep at them!

pineview01
on 11/28/14 11:28 am - Davison, MI

I find it interesting that I too has shingles while banded.  Along with all the other symptoms you mentioned.  My port pain kept getting worse and worse.  They found I had a tipped port in a capsule of scare tissue.  Ever time they tipped it to access it they cause horrible pain.  My insurance hand a once in a life time policy.  I had to fight to get the revision.  I had to appeal at every step and present tons of documentation.

Unless you didn't follow plan, you didn't "fail" the band.  The band failed you.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

BrendaRae
on 12/2/14 9:10 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

I had the lap band 12/7/2011. Lost 50 lbs first 6 mths and then that was it. lots of exercise, starving myself still didnt lose the weight.

On labor day weekend of this year (2014) my band slipped. I wasnt able to eat or drink anything for 4 days. Went to dr and he removed 4 of the 6 ccs that was in my band and suggested vertical sleeve. I just went for my second sleep study and I now have an appt on Dec 11th to start my preop diet and hopefully get a surgery date of Jan 2 or atleast that week. He is going to remove the band and do the VSG all at once. Ive gained 15 lbs since sept, so I guess the band was atleast keeping me from gaining weight. Im ready to start a new 2015.. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sherrie P.
on 12/8/14 9:56 am
RNY on 02/06/13

What an asshole.

I lost 27 pounds with the band... the CRAP BAND.

Now I am at goal with the RNY.

Good luck. he is WRONG

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Maraki
on 1/28/15 12:17 pm - MA

Hi did you have to have two surgeries or one. Dod they remove the band and do the bypass the same day? I have  band and want it removed I wanthe bypass

Sherrie P.
on 1/28/15 8:12 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Yes. All at the same time. It depends on your surgeon and the condition of your stomach. It has to be healthy enough to do both at the same time. 

Good luck!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
Recent Topics