Anyone heard of or have "Candy Cane Defect " of a RNY surgery ?????

Ginner
on 12/15/14 2:55 pm - Saint Paul, MN

I had my RNY surgery back in 2007. I was 265 lbs at 5'2. Everything went great. Over time I got down to 150 lbs. I would gain some and loose some. Then about 1 1/2 years or so ago I started getting acid reflex pretty bad. Went to the Dr's, got on meds. Still as time went on, it kept getting worse. Went back, stronger meds... Then last January, I started getting real sick every time I ate. I started eliminating things out of my diet. That still didn't work. I went to the Dr, he put me on generic zofran. That helped for a while. This only kept getting worse. By August of this year, I was loosing weight, very week, severe nausea, severe acid stomach and dehydrated.I was admitted in the hospital for 4 days and they did an upper GI along with numerous blood tests. NOTHING. I was and continue to live on 1/4 cup cooked broccoli and about 1/2 oz cooked (boiled ) chicken breast for lunch and dinner. This is all I can eat before I get very sick. Well in November, I finally had enough, I called my surgeons office and told them what was going on. They had me go do all these blood test and drink that barum. When I went and seen my surgeon, it took him all of 5 minutes to tell me what was wrong. This candy cane defect thing. I have to have the RNY surgery again and the will cut this extra pouch that is causing all these problems. Surgery is 1=6-15 I am very scared because I now weight 128lbs. I pray this will fix it. Any one hear of this???? I really could use input.  

Hislady
on 12/16/14 8:50 am - Vancouver, WA

There have been a few posts about it over the years if you click on the little spy glass icon at the top of the page it and put in candy cane syndrome you should find some info on it. or there is always google.

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/14 9:33 am

You know, my surgeon said something about a candy cane, but he didn't act like it was an issue. Maybe I should follow up on that...

Ginner
on 12/16/14 1:43 pm - Saint Paul, MN
Ginner
on 12/16/14 1:51 pm - Saint Paul, MN

Thank you for your reply. I have googled it and it is still very confusing to me as some things I don't have and some are so severe that I can't believe I am the only one out there that has gone 4 1/2 years since I started having complications since my surgery.  CRAZY !!! 

Hislady
on 12/17/14 1:23 pm - Vancouver, WA

You might try posting this on the RNY forum maybe there is still someone there who knows what it is. Good luck to you!

Ginner
on 12/17/14 2:29 pm - Saint Paul, MN

Thank you, I will

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 11:45 am

It's called a blind limb. I had one. They removed it when they removed my stomach 3 months ago

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

revise2014
on 2/3/15 8:50 am

I had rouyny to 5 yrs ago and had cany cane affect to.had surgery 12 of 2014.i to am lost.and no weight loss.very upsetting

Ginner
on 2/3/15 9:55 am - Saint Paul, MN

I am sorry to hear you have not lost any weight yet. I know that alone is very frustrating. I just had my 2nd RNY on 1-6-2015. I did not have a weight problem this time around. I have been very sick this last year and finally my surgeon found out that it was this limb that is called "candy cane". When he did my first RNY in 2007, he never cut this limb down completely. I guess this is how they did it back then. Well, I have been in constant pain since then. They think I might have some type of nerve damage. I pretty much have spent the whole month of January in the hospital or at the doctors office. Still trying to have a positive out look. When did you have your surgery? I would really like to stay in touch and read your success. Did u say u too had the candy cane defect?

Take Care, Gina  

Most Active
Recent Topics