Looking for Advice

Daydreamdser
on 1/22/15 11:46 pm

I had the vsg surgery several years ago. However I only lost about 55 pounds and never reached my goal weight. This was with working out 6 days a week for nearly 2 hours everyday and following the vsg meal plan 90% of the time. Over the past few years my weight has climbed just 15 pounds shy of my original weight the day of surgery! I admit, I fell off the bandwagon and it's not easy to get back. At this point I am concerned about health issues such as possibly developing heart disease and type 2 diabetes-both run in my family.

I am starting to also feel depressed and embarrassed like I want to hide myself because I live in a small town and worry about crossing paths with former gym buddies and people who knew me when I was smaller. I know that a revision surgery is in order. However I recently lost my job and finances are extremely tight. I do have enough saved up to have the 2nd part of the sleeve (the ds with the absorption) However I really would like to be resleeved, (with the ds portion) because I feel it is the best option for me. In fact after doing further research I believe this the surgery I should have had all along. The resleeve and ds portion would be nearly twice as much as just the 2nd portion. I suppose I should mention that I do not have health insurance except through obamacare and it does not cover weight loss surgery. So for me it is a tough decision. Do I have the second portion to convert to the ds or should I wait another 6-8 months before I can seek employment and save up more money.  

MsBatt
on 1/23/15 6:47 am

Have you thought about going to Dr. Ungson in Mexico? I'm not sure what his rates are, but I'm pretty sure they're about half what it would cost you here in the US.

As for re-Sleeving---why do you think you need it? Keep in mind that it can be dangerous, especially if the new staple line has to cross the old staple line. When you add the life-long malabsorption of the DS, you actually need to be able to eat more food. On a different board, I know someone who had a VBG many, many years ago. When she got revised to the DS, they were unable to do the Sleeve. She got to goal and seems to be staying there pretty comfortably, even eating with a normal-sized stomach.

Bibo
on 1/27/15 10:13 am

I have not had revision surgery, but i have had no insurance and four OTHER surgeries AND complications from WLS....WAIT. Seriously. Especially for anything remotely complicated. If there is, god forbid, a serious complication, it will be VERY hard to get proper treatment without insurance, and scopes and CT's and MRI's and even ulcer medication is not cheap.  If you get a serious job offer, it might be possible to have the surgery right before you start the job and go that route, and just be tired the first few weeks of work. Too many things can go wrong and who knows how long unemployment will last.....just my experience. took 5 years to find regular work......good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics