BP revision from a RNY anyone?

Stephanie G.
on 1/28/15 10:26 pm - Rowlett, TX

I had an RNY 8 years ago and maintained a 90-100 lb weight loss for 7 years.  In the last year I've gained 50 lbs.  I went in for a consult and was told they could do a BP revision.  From everything I've read it sounds really scary...anyone else have one?  Advise and tips appreciated.  My current BMI is 36.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

ShebasMom
on 1/29/15 2:49 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I'm having a distal revision to my rny, but my surgeon said it was similar to a BP. I will keep the pouch and will have a common channel of 150 cm. (Due to my GERD, a DS is not an option for me) I haven't been scoped yet, but feel I still have my restricition. My BMI is 35 now. My weight loss from the original surgery was very slow, I stopped losing at 18 months, with a BMI of 30 and began gaining weight 2 years out on 1600 calories. I would need to eat 1050 calories to have a 25 BMI! My issue is definitely metabolic related. My heart rate is 42-45 and all cardiology and endrocrine tests have been normal.

If you don't have GERD,  a DS revision would be a better option, although your surgeon may not do them. There are only a handful of experienced surgeons in the U.S. that do these. I wished I had that option. (the nearest surgeon for me is 4 hrs away). The DS is the most successful of all the wls.

I have heard that the distal is the best and worst of both surgeries combined. My surgeon will not do a common channel less 150, due to the nutritional deficiencies. Some people suffer from diarrhea, temporary or permanent. I've had chronic constipation most of my life, so I believe mine would be temporary. (vitalady's was temporary and her common channel is 100cm) I also realize I may not get to a normal BMI, but will be happy with my surgeon's goal of 27 (and not gaining!)

Stephanie G.
on 1/29/15 3:41 am - Rowlett, TX

Thanks for your post.  I need to go back in after all my tests are complete and review exactly what is planned for me.  I thought is was a DS but the person doing my nutritional consult said it was a BP. I know my doctor referred to it as a "malabsorptive bypass" and said I would have frequent stools, smelly gas and must be able to faithfully take vitamins for the rest of my life.

~Stephanie~

ShebasMom
on 1/29/15 9:38 am
Revision on 07/05/16

If he isn't changing your pouch to a sleeved stomach, then it is a distal rny.  Do you know how much common channel you will have? The shorter the common channel, the more malabsorption and diarrhea you can have.  When vitalady had her distal, she used benefiber the first year for diarrhea. Afterwards, she went to 1/2 dose daily of Miralax. 

When are you scheduled for surgery?  I see my surgeon next week and hopefully will have a date soon.

Stephanie G.
on 1/29/15 11:14 am - Rowlett, TX

She said she suspected my pouch was still small and that hunger was my issue.  I made an apt to discuss specifics with her so will ask about the length. Having lots of diarrhea and stinky gas scares me. I'm on a cruise for the next 2 weeks so will post more after my next appt.  thanks for your help. 

~Stephanie~

Most Active
Recent Topics