Removing gastric band and revising to either gastric sleeve or gastric bypass

Karen R.
on 2/27/15 10:26 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Where can I find some information on revisional surgery so I can make a good decision on what to do. I currently have a gastric band; in addition to several problems with the band I am not loosing the amount of weight I thought I would. I lost almost 50 lbs but still have 100 to go. I am probably going to need surgery soon to fix a hernia that has developed from vomiting (I posted a question in the band form under fractured port) so I want to get everything done at once. I am interested in everyone's experience and advice. Thanks!

lianna
on 2/28/15 1:12 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

When I started researching for my revision I went to the Sleeve and RNY forums and read posts for days.  There is a lot of good and eye-opening information on each forum coming from people that actually have the surgeries.  I personally decided to go with Sleeve.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Karen R.
on 2/28/15 6:12 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Thank you!  

virgonurse
on 2/28/15 9:10 pm

Do you have a surgeon who does revisions?  I feel the best person to advise you is he or she.  They will look at your entire history and offer what is right for you no matter what any one says here.

My doc offered revising to sleeve or RNY.  He said for me, both were good choices and I chose the RNY.  Good Luck to you :)

Karen R.
on 2/28/15 10:10 pm, edited 2/28/15 10:11 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Thank you for your input, I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and really don't know who is good and who isn't. Then add in the whole insurance issues of who is in network or not etc, you just never know!

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/2/15 2:08 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I had extreme vomiting with the LapBand as well as a hiatial hernia that needed to be repaired along with scar tissue removal.  I also wanted the malabsorption as an additional boost as the restrictive only procedure clearly wasn't enough for me.  My surgeon recommended RNY for all of those reasons and with reflux and prior ulcers the Sleeve just wasn't realistic.  I also didn't want half of the most effective surgery (DS) and need a third revision.  I was afraid it wouldn't be enough so I was happy with his recommendation.  I had the Band removed, hernia repaired and revision to RNY in one surgery.  I am now 19 months post-op and maintaining a BMI of 22 and 105% EWL.  

I am thrilled with my RNY, the results, the lifestyle it requires and find it 100x easier to navigate than life with the Lap Band.  I would have my surgery annually if it was necessary (thankfully not )  and can't say enough good things about my experience.  I wish you lots of luck making the right choice for you!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Karen R.
on 3/2/15 9:18 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I like hearing real people tell me how they feel about gastric surgery. I have read a lot on the internet about the procedures but that doesn't let me know how the people really feel. I never really know how people feel after surgery, if they are happy or regret their decision.

My PCP is against any surgery that requires the removal of healthy organs; even though I really like her as my PCP I don't think she likes the idea of gastric surgery.  

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/2/15 9:25 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

There is no removal with RNY - but there is with the Sleeve.  You would be better served by meeting with a surgeon who does all three procedures so you can discuss with him or her what would be best for you.  Perhaps you just need to have your Band removed and the hernia repaired?  It is very personal  - Good luck in your journey!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

jalivia2
on 3/3/15 2:53 am - Spring, TX

I did alot of research in forums as well before talking with my doctor.  Independently, I decided on the RNY because even when my band was working, I was not seeing great results with just a restrictive procedure. My doctor ended up having a similar opinion.  Now, I'm just jumping through hurdles for the insurance and waiting for my apartment lease to be up so that I can move. Coming home from revision surgery and having to walk up three flights of stairs just does not sound like a good idea!

Good luck to you and here's to hoping that you make the best desicion for you!

Karen R.
on 3/3/15 7:26 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I think in my head the RNY would suit my needs best but i am concerned about the long term effects of the malabsorption on my over all health.  

Good luck with your surgery and let me know how it goes!

Most Active
Recent Topics