Afraid that I'll fail at the bypass like I failed at the band

stleochic
on 3/25/15 10:08 pm

I just started a program working towards a revision surgery from band to bypass. I'm so scared I'm going to fail again. I initially lost about 30 pounds with the band but have gained all of it back. I know I failed for lots of reasons. Basically, I can't eat a lot of dense protein without getting majorly stuck and throwing up, when I do just a little I never feel satisfied, sometimes I can eat everything under the sun, and I have general issues with overeating. I'm going to a counselor to help me find coping mechanisms that don't involve food, so that's definitely something different than when I had the lapband. I also didn't loose very much or very fast with the lapbad, so it was hard to stay motivated to keep dieting. I'm committed to making life changes with the bypass, but I'm so nervous that I'll just fail again. I don't even want to tell anyone about this surgery until I'm actually successful. It's too embarrassing to fail twice! Anyone else have these thoughts?

erron1570
on 3/26/15 7:17 am

YES!  You are not alone!  I had my band 10 years ago, and despite some weight loss, Im still well above goal and now due to pain and severe reflux have started the surgical removal to bypass journey.  I'm scared and feel very guilty for spending more money and time on ME and my WEIGHT issues.....  However, we are worth the effort and the determination to succeed in making our lives better--in any way.  SO, here I start from this day forward.  I cannot change yesterday be it good or bad!  I can only control today and that will impact tomorrow!   God willing tomorrow will be better because I am going to do my best today!

Erron

pre-band 313, lowest band 190, present pre-revision 268, goal 170

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/15 8:18 am

Erron1570 did you get your surgery yet?

Hislady
on 3/26/15 9:29 am - Vancouver, WA

The band has been a miserable failure for many of us so don't feel bad or blame yourself. Even when we follow every rule to a T we were destined to fail, the band has a 60% failure rate not to mention the horrendous damage it does to our stomachs! With RNY you have a honeymoon period of 1-2 yrs where you will malabsorb vitamins and calories if you use that time wisely and eat properly you almost can not fail. You will have restriction like the band but also malabsorbtion. After that tho you must be diligent with your diet because this is why so many RNYers regain, because they keep eating too much and the calories are starting to be absorbed again around 18-24 mos. You will always malabsorb vitamins hence the requirement for extra vitamins and needing labs done on a regular basis. However the calories will continue to be absorbed after that honeymoon phase so use it wisely!! I know RNYers who have gone both directions so if you have any emotional baggage to deal with or food addictions issue get busy dealing with those and you should do well with your RNYs. Best of luck to you all!!

ladygodiva1228
on 3/26/15 11:54 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

As a recently band to bypass revision I say do it.  I have never felt better.  Down 33lbs in less then 2 months. 

One thing though follow your surgeons plan and definitely see a dietician and a therapist.  Take things slow and listen to your body.  I wish I had done the bypass originally instead of the band.

I to thought I would fail at this, but honestly I am so enjoying eating real, healthy foods.  Of course not much at once, but still so enjoyable. 

Oh and exercise it helps so much.  I do 30min on the treadmill everyday since 2 weeks out. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/27/15 6:48 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I get being scared -I was too.  But it is truly so much better, easier and more effective than the Band ever was - even on a good Band day.

I am almost 20 months post-op revision and am thrilled with my decision.  I wish I had chosen the RNY back in 2006 but I am not sure I'd have been as successful then as I have been the second time around.  Use that healthy fear to your advantage.  Be determined and focused on what you want and use your very effective tool to help you get there.  RNY works - the Band really doesn't for most of us.  Stay on plan and you will get where you want to be.  Best upgrade ever!  

Good Luck 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Bonnie1960
on 3/28/15 12:44 am, edited 3/28/15 12:44 am

You didn't fail the band...the band failed us!  I had my Lap Band placed in 2003 and was constantly fighting reflux, esophageal spasms and weight gain...I was revised to a Sleeve 11+ years later (Dec 1 2014) and have not had any issues at all...NONE!!!! Im now down 45 glorious pounds and Im feeling wonderful!!

Good Luck with your revision, I have total confidence you can achieve your goals  :)

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

krquarnberg10
on 3/28/15 3:21 am

I had my Lapband placed in 2004 and I'm having the same issues you had.  Did you have any complications having it removed like scar tissue etc. and the sleeve being done?  I'm considering having it done in Mexico due to insurance issues.  Any information you can share would be helpful.  

Bonnie1960
on 3/28/15 3:37 am

No issues at all, I was in surgery about an hour...band removal, hernia repair and sleeve, went home the next day, took 2 weeks off work, It was the best experience ever!!

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

krquarnberg10
on 3/28/15 3:55 am

Thank you so much!   Do you have any problems with acid reflux?  If I come up with more questions, I'll get a hold of you!   Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics