VSG to DS

Tressa S.
on 4/20/15 8:02 pm - Bay City, MI

A little background info on me.  Had VSG in 2009, lost 110lbs in 6 months!  Felt great!  Still had another 40lbs to go!  At least!  By the time I hit my 1 year anniversary I had already started to gain back some of my weight.  I've yo-yo'd for the last 5 years.  I'll put the on 10-15lbs and then take it back off.  Well now I've put back on 55 of the original 110lbs!  I'm struggling to take anything more than 5lbs off now!  I feel very discouraged!  Anyways, I'm thinking about getting DS now.  (or step 2 as my doctor called it)  My insurance states they cover DS and they are sending me info on the criteria I need to meet to have surgery.  My question is, since I already had VSG do I still have to meet all the same criteria I did when I first had surgery?  I have BCBS of Michigan.  Does BCBS usually cover revisions?  Would this actually be considered a revision?  Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated!  

Hislady
on 4/21/15 7:44 am - Vancouver, WA

You need to talk to your insurance company because some ask for the same requirements as a virgin surgery and others don't. Every employer has a different policy so there is no way someone here can tell you what your policy will cover and what it won't. This is all very individualized.

Hi -- Just a note from another VSG "failure." I had my surgery in 2010 and have put back almost all weight. I know most the the gain was due to a medication I took known to cause weight gain (but not known by me!). Anyway, I think you might want to call your surgeon's office and talk to their insurance liaison. They tend to have seen it all and can usually predict what kind of coverage you'll get.  Beats sitting on hold with the insurance bureaucrats.

Tell me how it goes! I'm in the same boat.

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

Bonnie L.
on 4/23/15 4:29 am

I thought that I was the only person with a failed VGS.  I have an appointment in May to see about a revision.  Keep posting because I too have BCBS. 

HW-320/ SW-306/CW-265/GW-150

Most Active
Recent Topics