Anyone had the Endoscopic Sclerotherapy Injections Enlarged Stoma

Tink365
on 7/27/15 11:23 am

I am scheduled for the sclerotherapy injections that will be performed through endoscopy.  The medication injected is supposed to create scar tissue that will shrink the stoma.  This is the information that I can find.  Anybody else had this procedure?

Welles
on 8/3/15 4:27 pm

Having this procedure done later this month due to enlarged opening. When are you having yours?

Tink365
on 8/3/15 6:36 pm

I am having mine done this Thursday. I'm not sure what to expect not much out there on the web.

Welles
on 8/3/15 8:33 pm, edited 8/3/15 8:34 pm

Correct. There is very limited information on the Internet. The good news is that the procedure carries very little risks. However, based on how large your stoma is, you could need 2 or even 3 injections to experience the feeling of fullness so you may have to do it again in a few months. I've heard that this should help curb your appetite by making you feel full a lot longer. There doesn't seem to be indication of dramatic weight loss (average seems to be 15 - 25 lbs). High responders and people who incorporate changed diet and exercise into their life could lose even more.

My doctor said there's likely to be some pain and you'll need to be on a liquid diet for 24 hours.

Tink365
on 8/4/15 1:05 am, edited 8/4/15 1:07 am

Yes I was told that I may have to have multiple procedures.  I am pretty fortunate that my surgeon is one of the founding doctors of this procedure.  I had a major revision surgery last September.  My pouch and my stomach started communicating (they grew together) and when they grew together a ulcer or "fistula" happened.  It was a mess.  I was in the hospital 5 days and off work for over two months. I came home with a feeding tube for 6 weeks.  Ugggg.  I started noticing almost right away after that surgery I was hungry ravenous all the time and had zero restriction.  It is like the food just goes right through.  My pouch looks good and is small my Doctor is pleased with the outcome of the surgery last year.  I am hoping that this will help like you said with the hunger! I went and purchased my protein powder and some almond milk this weekend.  I am going to stay on liquids 24 hours then go to soft foods for a week. 

Welles
on 8/5/15 6:13 pm

Good luck tomorrow. Let me know how it goes! 

Tink365
on 8/5/15 6:23 pm

Thank you! I will post tomorrow when I can. 😀

Tink365
on 8/8/15 2:41 am

Hello! I am following up post procedure. I have been doing well and minimal pain which was reduced to zero with a light pain medication. It took twice as long to get prepped for the procedure as the actual procedure lasted. It was about 15 min. and it was done. I have been on protein drinks, liquids, tomato and split pea soups, sugar free pudding/jello and sugar free Popsicles. I tried a little scrambled egg today and ate about 3 bites and I wanted no more. I just tried to eat a little tuna salad (tuna and mayo) low carb I mixed it till it was mushy and could only get a few bites of it down. I am having a little burning today and a little discomfort but not enough to warrant a pain med. I am going back to the liquids diet for another couple of days. I have no hunger and feel "full" like when I first had the bypass. Also my surgeon said my pouch wasn't stretched too terribly bad he did 3 injections and cartarized the opening. I have a feeling if this continues weight loss should be very good.

Welles
on 8/11/15 4:44 am

Congratulations!!! So glad you are doing well 😊 That's GREAT news. Any you naseaus at all? What part of the country are you in? I'm in VA

Welles
on 8/18/15 4:47 am

How's it going now? Are you still on soft foods? 

Most Active
Recent Topics