sleeve revision because of GERD anyone?

tracik3
on 8/27/15 12:29 pm

I have not had the surgery but REALLY want it.  But, I have acid reflux already, so I am scared of it being worst.  I have been on nexium for years.  Probably about 10 years between the nexium and something else I took in the beginning, prilosec I think it was.  Its mostly under control but do have bouts where I have to eat tums. 

I'm just curious about the people that had GERD so bad they had to get revision to rny.  How long did you put up with the GERD before revision? Did you try all the different meds out there?  I really don't want the rny. Just am so scared I will the sleeve and have to get a revision. 

Are there any statics on GERD with the sleeve?

Thanks for any help!

Karen R.
on 8/27/15 4:12 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I have a gastric band and revising to RNY. My surgeon won't revise to the sleeve if you've had issues with GERD due to the complications that can occur.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

HKT53
on 8/27/15 8:46 pm - Toronto, Canada

Been dealing with GERD for 15 years. (25 years ago had gastric stapling) Up until a year a half ago I was taking Nexium. It wasn't helping me anymore and the amount of tums was incredible. I found a Dr. that advised he could help me but only by RNY. I had the RNY on July 10 and now my life is pain free. Not one tums since and absolutely no acid reflux or vomiting. 

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Hislady
on 8/27/15 9:48 pm - Vancouver, WA

It is really not advised at all to get a sleeve when you have GERD. The only way I would consider it would be if your GERD is from hernias that can be repaired but even then you still have all the damage from the past GERD. All that acid can cause Barrett's esophagus a pre cancerous condition that requires constant monitoring to make sure it doesn't turn into full blown cancer. If I were you I would go with the RNY as it usually fixes the acid problem. You might want to discuss this with your surgeon.

tracik3
on 8/28/15 8:35 am

The surgeon I saw back in February I think it was, pretty much told me it was up to me. But, insurance would not pay for sleeve.  But, I have just learned that there is base in TX (7 hours away) that will do the sleeve.  But, I keep reading of people waking up throwing up from acid. I DO NOT want this! I have thrown up a little acid here and there and it is not fun! 

I had the throat scope thing done a couple of years ago and I was all good. Thank goodness!

Doctor said I needed to lose 80 pounds I say 60-70 and just wonder if the rny is drastic for that amount of weight. I do have high blood pressure have had it for 5 years and am boarder line diabetic and the GERD.  I'm 46, and I'm worried if I don't get control of this weight it will be so much harder after menopause.  I'm 5'2"/5'2 1/2" depends on who measures me. lol  I weigh 188, wear a size 14 mostly 16 pants and 1x to 2x shirt.

Queen JB
on 8/28/15 12:50 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I just revised from Band to Bypass with less than 50lbs to lose. But there was no way I was going to risk a future of GERD! I have seen enough of that from the Band...and I was not risking that.

I had to gain a little weight for insurance to pay (they had no problem paying for the removal, just not the revision). So, I needed to slip up from the overweight to obese category. I think our stats are similar...I am 4'11" and on the morning of surgery I was 164lbs at a BMI of 33 and wearing size 12-14 pants.

One thing to remember, if you have surgery as a "lightweight" and a revision, the loss is bound to be pretty slow. I am almost 6 weeks out, have followed every rule to a T, exercise daily and drin****il I float away, but I have only lost 16lbs so far. I'm not upset...my loss in terms of loss percentage is about the same as the people who are starting at a much higher weight and losing 50lbs in the same time frame. 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

MsBatt
on 8/28/15 2:24 pm

Pre-op, I had such bad GERD most nights I slept sitting up. 11+ years ago, I chose the DS, which means I have a Sleeved stomach. Since surgery, NO GERD!

HOWEVER---back then, there was almost no one talking about developing GERD post-op, and very few talking about it getting worse if they'd had it previously---and quite a few like me, who got tremendous relief. But back then, there were almost no stand-alone Sleeves being done, and surgeons usually left a larger Sleeve for DSers, or Sleevers who planned on getting the intestinal part of the DS added later, due to medical reasons.

As stand-alone Sleeves because more popular and long-term results on stand-alone Sleeves started coming in, surgeons started making smaller and smaller Sleeves. (Due to regain problems in stand-alone Sleeves.) And as Sleeves got smaller, the number of people reporting post-op GERD started getting higher.

If you only want/need to lose 60-80 pounds, I suggest you discuss your concerns with your surgeon and talk about him leaving you with a larger Sleeve.

tracik3
on 8/28/15 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for the replies!   Just got to figure out what I want to do! UGH Why can't I just be a normal weight! I never had weight issues until a couple of years after having my baby. It has just crept up over the years.  I miss the good ole days when I just thought I was fat! LOL

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/15 7:11 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm not a revision patient, but I planned on sleeve for 3 years until my surgeon consult, when I was told the RNY would be a much better option because of my GERD. He said he'd do the VSG if I had my heart set on it, but that there'd be a good chance I'd have to revise to an RNY later anyway. Since my insurance only covers one procedure per lifetime, that pretty much made up my mind.

My GERD has been gone since my RNY, and I no longer need meds for it. My husband and two friends had VSG, and all 3 are now on meds for GERD despite not having it before surgery. It's perfectly manageable for them, but I was on twice-daily Prilosec before surgery and still had symptoms, so I shudder to think how miserable I would have been if I'd gone with the sleeve after all. I'm glad my surgeon was willing and able to tailor his recommendation to my situation. I also got some great advice at that time from the vets on here, most of which was "VSG is a bad choice for someone with GERD."

tracik3
on 8/30/15 6:34 am

Thank you for your response!

I guess I just have to decide if I'm willing to have rny or not.  UGH lol

Most Active
Recent Topics