Advise for having surgery while having little ones

sheriberi29
on 2/9/16 2:52 pm - Cleveland, TN

im currently awaiting approval from revision from band to bypass or sleeve .... I have 2 year old twins, should I not do this at this time ? If recovery is like band recovery I know I'll be ok . Bypass seems so much more invasive and complicated . I'm beginning to get scared about what if they come back and say I'm approved

Laura in Texas
on 2/9/16 4:38 pm

Did you ask your surgeon what he thought? Some tell you not to lift more than 10 pounds for a number of weeks. Is there someone who can help you care for the twins for a while?

My kids were 3 and 5 when I had my RNY. My mom helped me take care of them for a few weeks until I got my strength back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sheriberi29
on 2/9/16 4:57 pm - Cleveland, TN

I will have some help. At least the first week or 2. I worry because they are still in cribs and after my help is gone I will have to load them into car seats and get them out of their beds but my mom will stick around if needed . Thank you for your reply. I'm terrified and I work in surgery so I'm not afraid of surgery itself but of complications after 

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 2:50 am

Hi, generally, any individual the age between 15 and 50 years is a good candidate for gastric bypass surgery if they are relatively healthy. The procedure is typically reserved for those who are more than 75 pounds overweight and have a body mass index of 40 to 50 or 35 to 39 with a life threatening co morbidity factor. Candidates for this type of surgery must be willing to undergo drastic lifestyle changes and eating habits in order to gain the optimal benefits of this procedure. Following surgery, patients are cautioned to not drink liquids with meals or within 30 minutes prior to or following a meal.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/10/16 8:07 am

Looks like you did not understand her question....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/10/16 8:09 am

I had weight lift restrictions for 6 week post op.  And it is important to follow that ... Otherwise you may risk insisional hernia..  Or other complications... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sheriberi29
on 2/10/16 8:17 am - Cleveland, TN

Yikes 6 weeks ! Ok thanks for your reply 

ladygodiva1228
on 2/10/16 9:07 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I'm just over a year out from band to bypass and though I didn't have any young children to handle I did have three horses.  My doctor had me on lifting restrictions for 8 weeks.  Now hay and 50lbs grain bags are different from children, but I would say at least 6 weeks until you can safely lift them. 

What does your surgeon say?  Can your mom stick around for 6 weeks?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

sheriberi29
on 2/10/16 9:28 am - Cleveland, TN

I will need to talk with her about it for sure 

L. 68
on 2/10/16 11:15 am

your not sure which surgery you want yet??   Is depending on medical issues or the twins.  i've read with the sleeve you cant lift anything more than 5lbs.  but lesser recovery time than gastric.  

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

Most Active
Recent Topics