Weight gain after gastric bypass

kg1202
on 6/21/16 10:03 pm

I had gastric bypass in 2007.  It was a slow process of loosing the weight.  I started out at 295 pounds. I was able to loose 75 within the first 3 years.  During year 4, I managed to loose an additional 25 for a total of 100 pounds. I was able to maintain that loss until 3 years ago.  The weight began to creep back on.  I went from 190 (a comfortable weight for me) to a now 245 pounds.  I am uncomfortable and depressed about this weight gain.  Does anybody know how or what I can do to figure out why I have managed to gain this much weight back?  Did my pouch stretch or do I have something wrong with my pouch?  How can I find out what is up with my pouch and how do I loose this 45 pounds?  I have looked into revision, however, my insurance does NOT cover weight loss surgery. Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/16 5:31 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Hi Kg!

I would make an appointment with a bariatric surgeon. Either the one who did your original surgery, or a different one if need be. Explain your weight regain and ask if you can get an Upper GI and Barium Swallow test done. These will show anything amiss with your surgery and pouch.

That's how I found out that I had a gastro gastric fistula connecting my pouch to my old stomach. It explains my weight regain and hunger. 

I have a revision to correct the fistula July 5th. 

Obviously I cannot read your syptoms, then diagnose you in any way, but those tests will show your doc what's going on in there!

Best of Luck,

Megan M :-)

Laura in Texas
on 6/24/16 1:43 pm

Eating more calories than your body needs will cause weight gain, before and after bariatric surgery. Are you tracking your food? I know I can maintain on 2000 calories. If I eat more than that, I gain, if I want to lose I eat less. If I eat too many crappy carbs (bread, crackers, etc), I feel more hunger and eat more.

Go back to your surgeon to make sure everything is in working order and if it is, you need to focus on what and how much you are eating. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/27/16 1:46 pm

I  found the hard way that eating too many carbs, even with relatively low calories diet, cause a regain and me feeling hungry... I also stopped weighing myself, and found myself with 35 lbs regain... 10 of those - were intentional... but the additional  25 were not...  Wake up call in my doc office..when I complained about back pain... i was still wearing size 8-10... so on outside - I really wasn't that big... but the weight was too high... I took charge...put myself of low carb diet and slowly lost the 25 lbs regain. Last 5 lbs was taking forever to get off me.. and stay off.. 

I know I need to follow a low carb diet...I avoid starches, grain., most fruits, and foods high in sugar.

I eat meat, eggs, fish, nuts, and non starchy veggies. Fruits - mostly berries... and i try to weigh myself often. Daily- when I am home.  There is no "break" or vacation from my eating plan...  My cheats are pathetic.. i.e.an apple.... or extra bowl of blueberries... ,or a few sweet potato fries once in a while....

and you know what? taht is OK.... I eat my steak or burgers... add butter to some veggies... and I don't feel deprived... 

De-carbing is hard- Cravings can be brutal.. . but if you can follow a low carb diet - it may take 3-5 days that your "hunger" will no longer be an emergency... 

I prepare my food in advance. So when I am hungry - I can just get my healthy meal.  if i don't want chicken or beef or fish - or eggs - then I know I am not really hungry but that my body craves carbs... 

real hunger - can be an emergency... cravings - not so much...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics