What is wrong with my sleeve? Acid Reflux..not the norm

Softballgal73
on 7/25/16 4:09 pm

I am 4 & 1/2 yrs post op. I have had prob with acid reflux since I had my sleeve done (never before surgery). It has gotten so bad that I am ready to do whatever it takes to fix it. The upper GI surprised my Dr. He said it typically squeezes stomach contents back up from top of sleeve...the barium that I had to swallow hit bottom of my sleeve and then wouldnt empty out, instead it began going back up. Finally began emptying after awhile. He showed me on screen that something is wrong at bottom of sleeve. He said scope should show what it is. He said if he can fix the problem I may not have to revise to RNY. i would love to keep my sleeve, but sure wish I didnt have to wait 2 weeks to figure this all out! Anyone here ever heard of this? Not asking for diagnosis...just wanting to hear others experience if it sounds like mine. Thanks!

stacyrg
on 7/25/16 4:28 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Hope it works out for you and that he can fix it without revising!  I'll be thinking good thoughts!

emelar
on 7/26/16 9:54 am - TX

Sounds like gastroparesis or delayed gastric emptying.  It's not really a problem with the sleeve itself, but with the pyloric valve.  Food isn't leaving your stomach quickly enough.  Google it! 

Anne O.
on 7/27/16 8:53 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

A common cause of delayed gastric emptying is diabetes. Do you have diabetes?

ShebasMom
on 7/26/16 2:47 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I worked in a NICU and had babies with pyloric stenosis. Hopefully he can repair yours like the babies with pyloric stenosis. I hope you don't have to get the rny either. 

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Phatchick
on 8/16/16 3:14 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

I experienced the same thing and the surgeon told me a hiatal hernia and revision to RNY would be the answer for me. I told him my sleeve still works and I don't need a revision. I had lost 100 lbs with my sleeve 4 years ago and haven't gained. I told him the sleeve still works and doesn't allow me to eat much. He disagreed and told me the reason my sleeve felt like it was still working is because the hernia is pushing food back into my sleeve and this is giving me a feeling of fullness. He told me when the hernia is repaired my feelings of fullness will disappear. I freaked out........since I still have 75 more lbs to lose, I have started the process of an RNY revision. I'm scared of having another surgery but I know it's what I have to do. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics