Need help / advice

kkirsten
on 8/24/16 7:53 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hi All,

I need your help and advice. I am 6.5 years out from RNY surgery.  I've gained 30 pounds in the last 2 years and am so disgusted with myself.  I know I have totally screwed my pouch by overeating - I know it is stretched out and my entire small intestine is now my stomach.  I know that 30 pounds doesn't sound like a lot given where I came from (lost 100 pounds) but I am now back to buying Women's size 16W - I never thought I would have to buy Women's sizes again.  I have had neck problems (had surgery 2 years ago) and am very limited in what I can do physically from a working out perspective.  First - any advice on what to do to get the weight off?  I've looked online at revision options but don't think I'm at the point where a surgeon would talk to me.  I moved shortly away from where I had surgery about a year after surgery so I haven't had any support from a WL surgery support group.  Perhaps it would have made a difference and I wouldn't be in this situation.  I felt so good after losing the weight - I was able to wear a size 12 and felt great - now I feel terrible and feel like a total loser/failure.  Does anyone have any ideas that could help me get back to where I was?  Should I talk to a surgeon?

Thanks for listening

Kirsten

karenyt
on 8/24/16 11:53 pm - Renton, WA

I have a similar problem and I finally did go see a surgeon.  I have gained more of my lost weight back and I need knee surgery but no doctor will do it until I lose 100 pounds.  The bariatric surgeon wants to completely reverse my gastric bypass in one surgery and do a second surgery later to do a sleeve.  I have acid reflux and have read that the sleeve is not good if you have acid reflux and a second surgeon questions this type of revision.  

What type of revision have people heard of to correct a stretched out pouch and a hiatal hernia?

Help please.

Karen

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/25/16 6:55 pm

First - it may be a good idea to see a bariatrupic doc to determine if things are good or not. 8 years post op and my pouch is still fine. 

But...if I eat carbs or slider foods - I can eat and eat and eat...it feels like bottomless pit. But if I follow a very strict diet - decarb- after 4-5 days my pouch feels different - like a reset. And I feel more restrictions. I think carbs and sugars plus insulin make my pouch less sensitive to full/empty signals. 

Go back to basics. Ditch the carbs. Soda. Diet soda, artificial sweeteners...any grains, starches,etc... Try dense protein forward days.... Add some good fats like avocado..a few bites of non starchy veggies like NSA pickles or cucumber...califlower, broccoli...lettuce... 

Or like some do - proteins - meat only 5 day eating plan... They even have a group going right now on RNY forum. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/6010004/AMAW-AMAW-AMAW -All-Meat-all-Week-and-Critters-join-up/#50114989

It can be done. 

At one time I was 25 lbs heavier that I am now. I lost my regain and I am back in my size 6-8... 

It may be slower...but it can be done.  And to lose the weight - diet is important...exercise may makes us feel good...But it does not contribute too much to weight loss..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics